First Caribbean trip

carrera

Dec 30, 2009
Hi all,

First post here but I have been lurking for a week or so. I've been researching places to take my first trip to the Caribbean. To be honest I've never before thought about the DR as a possible choice, but the more I study about it, the more I finding that it will be the perfect place. And in my search I stumbled upon this site. Let me say that I am very impressed with this site. Kudos to the owner and all who participate; there's a wealth of information here.

I put this in the North Coast thread because that's where I'll likely be going and it looks pretty active around here. I have a few questions and will appreciate any response you can give.

First of all, I'm from Indianapolis and it's looks difficult to get to POP in the same day. I've seen, so far, the best and cheapest route is thru Newark but there's an overnight stay. Returning to Indy thru Newark can be done the same day albeit 10:30 pm. Are there others that find the same problem going to POP? I would even consider driving to Chicago but that doesn't look any better. Are there other options?

Second, would it be better for a first timer to stay at a resort? I've been looking at just hotels and can really get good deals that are non-resort. I'm looking to stay in Sosua.

A few details about me... I will be coming solo and in my 40's. I do like to move around but will spend some time at the beach. I'm not loaded in any way so I will be a little budget minded. I've recently split with my wife so hooking up with a chica or two is a good possibility. For being married to a Venezuelan for 4 years I really don't know a lot of spanish. I do know several words but just can't formulate a sentence lol.

Third, I understand that you can rent a motorcycle. This sounds like fun but do you have to worry about it being stolen? And is it safe to drive along the coast like say to Cabarete or La Isabella?

Lastly, I'm planning on coming the end of April over my birthday. Is this a good time weather-wise? Overly crowded?

Mark

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
First of all, I'm from Indianapolis and it's looks difficult to get to POP in the same day. I've seen, so far, the best and cheapest route is thru Newark but there's an overnight stay. Returning to Indy thru Newark can be done the same day albeit 10:30 pm. Are there others that find the same problem going to POP? I would even consider driving to Chicago but that doesn't look any better. Are there other options?

You could always fly into Santiago. Getting to the North Coast isn't difficult from there. About 2 hours by bus.

Second, would it be better for a first timer to stay at a resort? I've been looking at just hotels and can really get good deals that are non-resort. I'm looking to stay in Sosua.

You should only stay at a resort if you need baby-sitting. Consider one of the chica-friendly hotels.

Third, I understand that you can rent a motorcycle. This sounds like fun but do you have to worry about it being stolen? And is it safe to drive along the coast like say to Cabarete or La Isabella?

I'd worry more about getting hit. You might get away with shooting over to Cabarete but La Isabela would require going through Puerto Plata. I wouldn't recommend it. Use public transport or taxis, or just rent a car when you want to explore.

Lastly, I'm planning on coming the end of April over my birthday. Is this a good time weather-wise? Overly crowded?

Weather should be good. A little crowded but not annoyingly so.

Hope this helps.

Chris

carrera

Dec 30, 2009
Excelente, Mucho Gracias

I will look into Santiago. Two hours wouldn't be bad. How much of a trip is it from SD by bus?

How can you tell if a hotel is chica-friendly? Do you simply ask them? lol

Yes, a car would probably be best.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I will look into Santiago. Two hours wouldn't be bad. How much of a trip is it from SD by bus?

How can you tell if a hotel is chica-friendly? Do you simply ask them? lol

The trip costs about US$7. Caribe Tours buses stop on the other side of the beach from Sosua, so you'll need a cab from there. (Maybe a couple hundred pesos.) There are other threads here that list the chica-friendly hotels. In no particular order there's Rocky's, New Garden Hotel, Casa Valeria and several others. If you're coming for a week or more you might want to look at getting a condo.

carrera

Dec 30, 2009
I can get to Santiago from Indy in the same day... it's about $100 more but that's what I would spend on a hotel in Newark for the night.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I would take American Airlines, skip Santiago

I would take American Airlines.

It's hard to get to Puerto P. from Pittsburgh, too, in one day without multiple layovers.

What I do is fly to Miami. I do a day layover at the Comfort Inn or Sleep Inn near the airport (they have a free shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off at the airport). Next day, I fly from Miami to Puerto Plata. The American flight will arrive at about 3:30 p.m.

It's a little bit of a pain doing a day layover, but then again I flying direct in both my flights (Pit-Miami, Miami-Puerto) with no layovers in between except the Miami one.

And with the day layover in Miami, I am well rested and ready to party hardy when I hit Sosua. :bunny::chinese::bunny:

Taking a taxi ($$$$) or bus (schedule may not jibe with your flight, so you may have to stay overnight there) from Santiago will be a pain...

:pirate:The Bandito of Fritos:pirate:

carrera

Dec 30, 2009
I did notice that flying into Santiago that I would arrive at 8:30pm... plus 2 - 2 ? hour bus to Sosua would be about 11pm if the bus runs that late. First time I'd like to get there in during the day.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Puerto Plata in a Day...Unlikely

You can fly from Indianapolis to Puerto on American. You would leave 3:30 in afternoon and arrive at Miami about 6:15 p.m. Do a night layover, then fly from Miami @ about 12:30 and arrive in Puerto Plata at 3:30 p.m., no fuss, no muss.

That's the way I would fly (and do), but it's your perogative as to what to do. I would give up on the idea of trying to get there in one day, it's unlikely you can do it...

Just my two pittance....

:pirate:Bandito:pirate:

carrera

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks Bandito...

Yeah, not many options from Indy. Question... do you get your luggage on a stayover? Or do they transfer to the next flight? At least I can return to Indy in the same day.

I've been looking at a couple of condos at Rocky's and Europa. Both are such a good deal. Rocky's has the free airport pickup too... that's a big plus.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Luggage

You'd fly from Indianapolis to Miami. Then, once you land, pick up your baggage at Miami baggage claim. Then head to the floor above baggage claim and go outside the building. You are now in the spot where the hotel shuttle vans and buses run. The comfort Inn/Sleep Inn Miami Airport run their
shuttle van every 1/2 hour, 24/7.

Next day, check-in at the outside American baggage service at airport. Then head to customs and your on your way to the DR.:bunny:

B

calverde

Dec 22, 2009

1. worry about anything of value being stolen (that means yes) learn the word ladronne. island populated by pirates, conquerers, canibals. dregs come now.
2. terrible drivers. don't drive moto at nite, period.

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
I haven't looked at the flights in the past few weeks, but I fly from Detroit to POP in a day on Delta. I don't know if it's booked up. Or maybe try from Cincinnati.

It is definately an aggressive driving country. I'd be a little concerned on the first trip with a motorcycle.

Absolutely get to Sosua! It's the perfect place to forget the ex!!!