New Review for the New Year - A Winner in Cabarete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OK, first of all, Feliz y prospero ano nuevo to all...

I encourage everyone who spends time on the North Coast to make a New Year's Resolution to eat at the new Argentinian Grill in Cabarete called "Cinnamon". This place is actually sort of outdoors, behind the new liquor store named BOZO...directly across the street from Ocean Dream.

If "the company you keep" is any indication, last night, at different tables, where 3 of the top restauranteurs on the North Coast...all at this funky little place called Cinnamon. They were all there for the FOOD...had all been there before and were back for more...

It's hard to describe the indoor/outdoor ambience of this place, but I'll just say it's really comfortable, very cool, and they play GREAT music too...

And the food? Churasco beef imported from Argentina, cooked by an Argentine chef on a massive, wood/coal fired grill. They also have beef and pork fillets, chicken breasts, and great ribs, all on the grill. The sides are great, even the salad was delicious.

The cost? Steaks from about 300-500 pesos
ribs, chicken and pork from 200-350 pesos
burgers around 200 pesos.
cuba libres 100 pesos, didn't ask for beer or other prices. One bonus though, they are connected to the liquor store in front so presumably they can serve you what ever you want...

There were three of us and we asked the chef to make a Parillada Mixta for 3...We had two different cuts of Churassco, a filet, ribs, and sausage...salad, sauteed potatoes, french fries, and potato croquets..the bill? wait for it....? what's your guess? Did I mention it was INCREDIBLE? the beef was like butter, and everything else was perfect?

Ok...it was 900 pesos.
For all three of us
Yes...900 pesos...300 pesos each...
the liquor bill was more than the meal...and that was at 100 pesos each...hey, we were celebrating New Years...sort of!

Bottom line...my new favorite spot on the North Coast when I want a really good steak served in a very chill atmosphere, I'll be at Cinnamon!

Reactions: Tamborista
Jan 17, 2009
I'll have to visit again. We went to this parrillada after it open, a couple of months ago. The churrasco was full of fat, tasted ok, but you had very little meat to eat after getting rid of the fat, and did mention this to the owner (who is--or was at the time-- Dominican). I didn't see an Argentinean chef there and the owner (knowing where I'm from) never mentioned it either. I will give it another try. My husband and I love good parrilladas. Happy new year to you too DavidZ!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Churrasco we had barely had a speck of fat...it was all beef! And yes the owner is Dominican, but the tall chef with long hair...is Argentinian ;)

I should also mention that they do add the 16% ITBIS and 10% "service" to the bill (most places with computerized registers do). I suggested to the owner to remove at least the 10% legal service and if possibly the ITBIS..and just include it in the price...he said he was already considering that, so we'll see..

Thanks for the New Years wishes :)

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
too expensive for location

We were eating there regularly and loved it; until the prices were hiked by about 30% recently. We stopped going as we were suddenly paying beach front prices for a field location. We noted, as we pass every day several times to our own place, that most others also stopped going.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about it David, (New Year resolution being polite )
the prices seem reasonable

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
We were eating there regularly and loved it; until the prices were hiked by about 30% recently. We stopped going as we were suddenly paying beach front prices for a field location. We noted, as we pass every day several times to our own place, that most others also stopped going.

SSCC,

Thanks for the interesting post. Are you telling us that the original bill of RD$ 900 would have been roughly RD$ 700 before the price hike? To me, the RD$ 900 still seems quite reasonable.

Where you satisfied with the quality of the food?

Thanks,

MD

Jan 17, 2009
I don't remember the total cost of our bill but remember that we thought it was expensive once the 26% was added. I guess if we had gotten a good, relative lean churrasco, we wouldn't have minded the cost. I think a cuba libre for RD$100 is expensive; add the 26% and RD$126 is higher than beach prices. I will give it another try, especially now that I know that the grill Chef is Argentinean and that they're serving great churrascos. Thanks DavidZ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I don't remember the total cost of our bill but remember that we thought it was expensive once the 26% was added. I guess if we had gotten a good, relative lean churrasco, we wouldn't have minded the cost. I think a cuba libre for RD$100 is expensive; add the 26% and RD$126 is higher than beach prices. I will give it another try, especially now that I know that the grill Chef is Argentinean and that they're serving great churrascos. Thanks DavidZ

A Cuba Libre for $100 expensive?? Do you guys drink in Car Wash or something??

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Most places we go to (not tourist traps) Cubra Libre is about 60 pesos or so and most include the tax.

BObK

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I ate there last week. I had the large churrasco (12 oz) and a club soda. The steak was the best churrasco that i have had here in the last 4 years. The Yucca fritter was also the best. I would have to say that a small seving of a vegetable would have been nice. The total price with the 26% added came to just under 600RD. A little pricey but definitly worth it. I will be back again.

BObK

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I am afraid that the prices will limit their clientele, especially since they are not in a high traffic location. I do hope they can survive since the quality is very good.

NOTE: It rained heavily last night and their roof design leaves a bit to be desired under heavy rain conditions.

I agree...they're right on the cusp between "reasonable" and "high end" and don't really have the venue for high end...and there's a limited clientele for that anyway.

But, like you said I really hope they can stay open...I'm loving the place!

NOTE: Thanks for this info, I was wondering how it held up in the rain...

Status
Not open for further replies.