Canadian Expats

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I have a few questions that are more or less specific to the Canadian expats.

Did you register with Foreign Affairs Canada? Seems they keep a database of Canadians abroad and request that one registers if living in the DR for more than 3 months?

What status did you keep in Canada? Resident, non-resident or deemed non-resident? This is mostly for tax purposes. You can't get straight answers from Service Canada as the government wants their share of the pie while away.

Thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are numerous sources for information on the advantages and disadvantages of remaining a resident of Canada or not. For taxes purposes this means you you are resident of Canada until you declare you are not by becoming a resident of somewhere else. The government tax site is quite clear on the definition of what constitutes a resident. I will be making the move south in the next year or so and plan to consult with a tax professional. There are a lot of different things to look at such as Medical coverage, principal residence, Capital gains tax, rental income, property taxes- all that change whether you are a resident or not.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for that info Bob. I'm curious to find out if the expats here have registered with Foreign Affairs or chose not too. Is it just a way for the Canadian government to keep tabs on where we are? I doubt they really care about our welfare...they just want their tax money. Often, the less they know the better.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exit Return

When I left Canada in 1995,I simply filed an "exit return" w/ RevCan...... a final tax return, just like a death return.

I left no forwarding address and wasn't asked for one.

My understanding is that the gov't just wnts to know if you are taxable by the residency rule...Withholding taxes apply to all treaty countries which includes the DR
The situation may have changed over the years, but that is my experience.