Fun City - Puerto Plata

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is Fun City a worthwhile day trip? Looking at the website it seems you need to purchase an unlimited ride wristband for each of the three tracks. Is this correct? I will probably be staying at one of the hotels near the malecon. How far a drive is Fun City.

Fun City

Another day trip I would like to do would be the teleferico. Any suggestions? Is there parking or should I take a taxi. Any official teleferico website?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is Fun City a worthwhile day trip? Looking at the website it seems you need to purchase an unlimited ride wristband for each of the three tracks. Is this correct? I will probably be staying at one of the hotels near the malecon. How far a drive is Fun City.

Fun City

Another day trip I would like to do would be the teleferico. Any suggestions? Is there parking or should I take a taxi. Any official teleferico website?

For Fun City you purchase a wrist band for unlimited rides, all day if you like. I forget the price but I would say about 250rd, but I really don't know. It is enjoyable. Pay a few pesos to one of the employees to give you a fast car.

From the Malecon it is about a 10 minute drive towards Sosua.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
The last time I was on the teleferico was a year ago. 200rd per person. Plenty of parking or you can take a taxi, not sure of the cost of a taxi. Folks want to guide you through the top of the mountian but there really is no need unless you want to learn about the history of the area. Tough to pick a clear day as the mountian gets socked in pretty quick. On a clear day you can see for miles, very nice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fun city is about 10 minutes drive from the malecon, just after playa dorada. you can also take a carro publico - all guaguas going to sosua pass through there.
teleferico - recently the road leading to teleferico has been resurfaced and it is well worth a drive - fantastic views all the way. you'd have to drive all the way up manolo tavarez justo (towards santiago) then take a turn to san marcos and in san marcos turn again towards cemetery.
if you decide to take a cable car there is plenty of parking there. beautiful views from the top of the mountain. price more or less as quoted, around 200 pesos.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I went to funcity 2 months ago, for 20$us you have unlimited time on track, but 1 hour is anough, go kart are not that confortable. Enjoy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks

Thanks to all............

Aparta-Hotel Lomar was mentioned as a decent place to stay. It is located on the Malecon #8. Any one know what cross street it is near.

Also, Sam's Bar seems to be the place for a good meal. Where is Sam's?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks to all............

Aparta-Hotel Lomar was mentioned as a decent place to stay. It is located on the Malecon #8. Any one know what cross street it is near.

Also, Sam's Bar seems to be the place for a good meal. Where is Sam's?

Sam's Bar is on Calle Jose del Carmen Ariza (number 34 I believe). That street is very near Plaza Independencia (the old Parque Central), right in the centre.

Aparta-Hotel Lomar on the Malecon about one third of the way along, coming from Long Beach, if you're looking at a map. Sorry, don't have a clue as to the side street name - I only live here (& somewhat Dominicanised when it comes to street names :cheeky:). It's the side street with an open air restaurant called Los Almendros on the other corner.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks, it was you who suggested Lomar..........LOL
I will keep an eye out for the restaurant.

On the google map they show a Aguaceros Restaurant, would that be Sams?

Sam's Bar is on Calle Jose del Carmen Ariza (number 34 I believe). That street is very near Plaza Independencia (the old Parque Central), right in the centre.

Aparta-Hotel Lomar on the Malecon about one third of the way along, coming from Long Beach, if you're looking at a map. Sorry, don't have a clue as to the side street name - I only live here (& somewhat Dominicanised when it comes to street names :cheeky:). It's the side street with an open air restaurant called Los Almendros on the other corner.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks, it was you who suggested Lomar..........LOL
I will keep an eye out for the restaurant.

On the google map they show a Aguaceros Restaurant, would that be Sams?

Aguaceros is a different restaurant. It is close to the corner of Jos? del Carmen Ariza and the Malec?n. If you walk up Jos? del Carmen Ariza a few blocks (away from the Malec?n) you will find Sam's (located in the Hotel Castilla) just past Doce de Julio. It used to have red and white shutters but since I haven't been in the DR for a while, I don't know if that is still true.

Also near Aguaceros is a nice restaurant called Tam Tam.