Women as Drivers in DR

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Please gentlemen take no offense but unless your advice is extremely well-intentioned I think I need to preface this post with: LADIES WHO DRIVE IN DR RESPOND PLEASE.

I've been to DR multiple times over the years and never have driven in the country. It's about time to bite the bullet and begin the educational experience of driving in DR. February may be the first time I rent and drive a vehicle from points a, b, and c.

So, ladies who drive in DR, what advice do you have for me.

Why only the ladies? Well, I am a woman and WOMEN AND MEN DO THINGS VERY DIFFERENTLY. So I need the female perspective on this.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Sorry had to post. Just to let you know ALL the dents on our vehicle (bought new here 3 years ago) are mine not hers :)
She is definitly more cautious then i am

Bob K

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know if ladies' advise would be of any use to you, but my advise would be to: Drive like a man. We will all be very thankful to you.
AZB

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Another point to note (and you're not going to like it) is that some men will assume that women are supposed to give way to men when driving (even when you would have right of way).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you have driven a car before in USA you will have no problem driving here. just keep your eyes peeled and always look in the mirrors. and then again. those bloody motos will come from all directions.
assume everyone else in the traffic is a moron who does not how to drive and you have to think for them - they do not see you coming, they manoeuvre chaotically.
all traffic rules are optional: red lights, one way streets, stopping on the bridge etc.
if you ever hit anyone or get hit yourself do not bother to get out of the car and check if your victim is still alive - block car doors and drive directly to the nearest police station.
and best advice ? have someone drive you and take the blame. i have been doing it for years and it works fine :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I tried driving in the DR - much better than Cairo, for example. But, still, don't expect other drivers pay attention to others, or even think about what they are doing. A lot of them seem to only care about themselves. This is just my opinion. You take care of yourself and your safety. Good luck!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Please keep your eyes on the road and mirrors. The only time I have had a problem was when I was looking for an adress or store. Motos will come up on both sides. You don't have to drive like a man but it helps to be aggressive. The best advice I was given is, "Show no fear". Good Luck.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the advice so far, AZB do tell how does a man drive?

Well, I remember getting lost a lot when we were driving with my dad as a kid, but he always blamed the navigator(Mom) forgiving rotten direction. I believe ABZ means confident bordering on aggressive.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Confident bordering on aggressive. I will tell you that is basically my M.O. in SOME places of this world, I don't know how well it translates in DR, but I can try it :)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
As Chip said in another driving thread: Expect the unexpected....ALWAYS!!!.. That's the number 1 rule of driving in the DR.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
To be fair I will have another passenger who is a very very aggressive driver and her eyes work great so between the two of us it may work swell.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Be confident, not yet aggressive as you first have to learn the ins and out of driving in the DR by first hand. Wait at least 15 days learning the behavior of other drivers before you make the step to "aggressive".

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Be confident, not yet aggressive as you first have to learn the ins and out of driving in the DR by first hand. Wait at least 15 days learning the behavior of other drivers before you make the step to "aggressive".

This is excellent advice. I (a female driver) drove in Santo Domingo when I lived there. It is nerve wracking, but doable. I began driving very defensively then learned that driving in Santo Domingo requires some "offensive" (aggressive) driving.

Especially in the larger cities, stick to the main roads, even if they are more crowded. (Unless you are with a local who can tell you the back roads.) They tend to be better lit and have more eyes watching the road. Also, the horn is your friend, use it!

The finger waggle also works. I've given it to many a publico driver trying to cut in front of me, and they back off.

And as horrible/crazy as it sounds, try not to make eye contact with other drivers. This means that you see them and they will take advantage of that and try to get away with cutting in front of you, cutting you off, etc. If they think that you don't see them, then they will be less hesitant to try something because they will think you might hit them.

The organization I worked for gave me these general safety tips, which are good in any country:
-Roll windows up while stalling at lights, stopped, etc. If no A/C in the car, make sure that the windows are up enough so that an arm cannot reach in and grab something.
-Keep purses, etc on the floor in the back where they are less visible, not on any seats.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
A good friend of mine said it best, "Driving in the DR is like playing a video game" and boy he hit the nail squarely on the head. (Thanks Brad ;-)) After he told me this, I have come to know that it is so true. Lines on the road mean nothing. Be ready to swerve and dodge at any moment and watch the motos. They literally come out of nowhere. One way streets are only observed by the gringos and the locals will get away with anything and everything where as you will get stopped and ticketed for the slightest thing. Follow the rules the best you can, use your seat belt and keep your eyes and ears open and you should have very little trouble driving here.

Good luck. I like your tenacity wanting to tackle driving here. I have been doing it for almost two years and have had very few problems.

Rick

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
Drive defensively yet aggressively. Be aware of everything around you. Expect the unexpected.

NEVER EVER EVER stop for an accident, a hitch hiker, military etc etc. Someone else will stop, it should not be you. As foreigners we are targets. Keep your windows up and your doors locked.

If you need to go somewhere after dark, it is always a good idea to check out your destination when it is light.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
My own rules are (not in order of importance):

1. drive with 10 eyes (look in every direction before making a turn)

2. After 11pm or so do not stop at red lights. This of course must be done with caution. If you have to stop to allow a car to pass because the car does have the green afterall be aware of your sorroundings.

3. Like others said...you have to think for yourself AND the others on the road.

4. Watch out for the motoconcho (hate them with passion)