noise pollution

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
There is an evangelical church near me that has recently started to blast music every morning from 5 am to 6 am.

It there any way to approach them to ask them to not blast it so loud, or is this a total lost cause?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Have a private meeting with the pastor... If you approach him the right way, it shouldn't be a problem... Don't be aggressive nor offensive...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Morning Service

Have a private meeting with the pastor...

Yes, he may hold the service earlier so that you won't hear it being still asleep. ;)

Seriously, I don't think much will change.
It's the culture.... :lick:

donP

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Be patient, that won't last for ever Las Iglesias Evangelicas do that once a year for a short period of time, cuarenta dias de ayuno Oracion y cantos de alabanza a Dios.

JJ

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Be patient, that won't last for ever Las Iglesias Evangelicas do that once a year for a short period of time, cuarenta dias de ayuno Oracion y cantos de alabanza a Dios.

JJ

you've given me hope!

Feb 7, 2007
Get your neighborhood together, get some amplifiers, huge speakers, and start blasting explicit reggaeton and mambo callejero music at the same time (5 am). Make sure your speakers are on your private property. Best even if you have a high fence and you're locked up inside so nobody can call upon you. They might call police, but I think it will be lost case for them when the cops show up, if their music is as loud as yours. If they tune down the music, you tune down yours. If they later tune it up, you tune up yours.

P.S. Or even better, get another religious prayer recoding (e.g. muslim, jewish, etc.) and blast that one loud. Why? I have one heard a pastor saying that blasting loud music was their "religious right". You may do the same, have the same religious right. I think they will "get it" if their music will be interlined by the same loud recorded prayer "Allahu Akbar" ...

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Find out where they are stealing their electric from and cut them off. I don't know of one church who has an electric meter.

matilda

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
could be worse, there is a Jehovah Witness training camp en route to Villa Gonzales

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Have a private meeting with the pastor... If you approach him the right way, it shouldn't be a problem... Don't be aggressive nor offensive...
Just hand him Snoop Dogg's latest disc and tell him you prefer "listinin to da gangsta funk".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tell you what ? we had similar religious nut before. granted, he was not blasting halleluiahs at 5 am but he set up his shop somewhere between midnight and 1am. maybe he was trying to scare the evil away ? we all know midnight is ghost hour. it was also not as much music as screams and shrieks with barely intelligible amens.
men (and women) of the west tend to drift towards those noisy song and dance churches one sees in movies about harlem; you know, a choir of aretha franklin and james brown lookalikes dressed in white sheets swaying to the sound of drums. and people shouting ?he is right!?, ?amen?, ?lord bless? to punctuate full stops in a preacher?s talk. church of the east is rather sombre and boring, if i may say, and the only ones attending early morning mass are some old bats who leave their numerous cats for one and only daily trip outside their kingdoms of moths and dust. somehow i cannot imagine those ladies being animate about anything, even the second comming would be met with noncommital grunt :)
anyways, back to our insane midnight preacher. he really made me think fondly of satanist cults with their quiet whispered black masses at secluded cemetery, the only sound ? a brief cry of a scapegoat ? swiftly muffled by a quick slash of a dagger. no amplifiers either.
dear man, there is no hope for you. if you want you can blast them with some death metal ? if you can bear it. i suggest spanish anvil of doom or nahemah. or, alternatively, a british band with a very fitting name: extreme noise terror. although something tells me that your neighbouring church might have already adopted their hit song ?3 a.m. eternal?...

Reactions: Black Dog

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
SI NO PUEDES CON EL ENEMIGO UNETELE! This is the best advise you will ever get in your life.
This way god will bless you every day early in the mornings.

No more hangovers, live in the grace of God, Aleluya..

Amen

JJ

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
if you are within 500 meters or so, purchase a CB radio and a small black box called a "boot". A 100 watt boot will be plenty at that distance. Connect the boot to the CB and either key the handset or feed your own audio to the microphone. Use a 12 inch bit of wire or coathanger as an antenna on the output of the amplifier and you will be able to broadcast right into their PA system due to the horrible RF leakage at around 30MHz. Keep in mind that you will also damage nearby VHS tapes and other magnetic media, but no doubt you will put a quick stop to the morning rants that are ruining your solitude.

Another option is called a HERF weapon, and can be built by anyone with a bit of electrical knack using an old microwave oven. You will certainly put their audio system out of order, but you need a 100 foot or better line of site from the magnetron wave guide to their audio system.

The CB talkover device is great fun though. Get a Boss VT-1 voice changer and you will sound like the dark lord himself. Imagine the fun!

Brad

Reactions: Luperon

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Let's be serious about this, our friend is having a hard time.
OK, in DR exist a department called "Policia antiruido" but maybe at the local police station of Cabarete or Sosua, they don't have this department so he will need to go to set an argument to Puerto plata or Santiago as well.

I hope this can help

JJ

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
as much as i enjoy the options of blasting them with a microwave or hijacking their signal, i don't think either will work.

for some reason this morning they didn't play.

i wonder if lobbying the competing political party would help. or even easier, is there someone I can bribe to have them shut down???

Let's be serious about this, our friend is having a hard time.
OK, in DR exist a department called "Policia antiruido" but maybe at the local police station of Cabarete or Sosua, they don't have this department so he will need to go to set an argument to Puerto plata or Santiago as well.

I hope this can help

JJ

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Oh Matilda, Hilarious - yet oh. so. true.

Find out where they are stealing their electric from and cut them off. I don't know of one church who has an electric meter.

matilda

I am laughing so hard I am coughing. I remember the early morning "sharing" of loud music any time I dared to sleep outside of a hotel.

Local color. Hard to bear at the time, but a lifelong memory. Maybe like childbirth?

Thanks to all posters. I am enjoying this, miles and miles away, on the coldest night o' the year, stuck on bed rest with inflammed bronchials.

I am so interested in the updates.

Buenas noches,
Sammy

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The meter idea may not work because many people still don't have them and are charged a flat rate.

If any of the ideas don't work there's always good earplugs as an option.