Internet service: Codetel? Speedtouch?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I have a Codetel land line & internet service; it's usually reliable [by DR standards!] & reasonably priced [again, by DR standards!]
* Occasionally [?] the phone service disappears; How is my internet connection affected?
* I can't access my regular Codetel connection from my desktop PC.
* Instead a connection [?] appears to www.speedtouch.lan/gci/b/ic/connect.
* When I attempted to log on to speedtouch, I was informed that I must have a user name & PW; the Codetel name & PW will not work. What will? if anything.
* I Googled Speedtouch & found a host of related or ? sites; but I could not understand any of the verbiage, clearly designed to confuse those of us @ the 65 - 70 stage of human existence!
* Speedtouch seems to be owned by Verizon.
* What is it? Are DR Codetel customers entitled to use it - whatever it is - as a matter of right?
* How does 1 obtain a user name & PW? Costs? If any.
* Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you.

Feb 7, 2007
The speedtouch http://www.trentconnects.ca/assets/images/516.jpg is a DSL modem. the login page you get is in case the modem is not connected to the Internet. You must make sure that the DSL light on the modem is ON.

Codetel does not give out username/passwords to Speetouch. I found out some recent threads on this subject (several years back) and the username/password combination listed there no longer works.

Speedtouch is an international company, manufacturer of DSL modems, routers, and other equipment. They are not owned by Codetel and having the Speedtouch modem gives you no right to "anything" other than having a reliable DSL service.

Under normal, functioning circumstances, you should have no need to enter any username or password. Codetel's DSL is set up that way that you do NOT need to "log on", the modem does. Also, you can use ANY DSL modem on the line, for example I have used my office modem at my house, for testing. Your line parameters will remain the same (speed, attenuation and noise values, etc.), regardless of what modem you use.

I have also found out that Speedstream by Siemens DSL modem is much faster to log in (about 10x faster) than Speedtouch. Also, it has password-less access to the admin screen so you can check line paramenters at any time.

Further on, to answer your question, when your phone line is dead (no signal) there will be NO internet service.

If your connection goes down frequently, you may have noise on the line and attenuation issue. You must have your line parameters measured so ring up Codetel and file a complaint so they send a tech to your house.

Jan 17, 2009
Try typing "admin" as username and leaving the password blank. If this doesn't work, type also "admin" as the password. I'm pretty certain that one of these two combinations is correct. We changed the password it default to but I'm pretty certain that we kept the default user name.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Try typing "admin" as username and leaving the password blank. If this doesn't work, type also "admin" as the password. I'm pretty certain that one of these two combinations is correct. We changed the password it default to but I'm pretty certain that we kept the default user name.
doesn't work :(

Activ_POP

Oct 8, 2009
Username and password for the Codetel speedtouch modems are the serial number fo the modem. Found on the bottom, on a sticker.

Once you login there are a bunch of config screens where you can, among other things check the status of the connection.

Codetel probably wont provide the passwords bc they dont want to provide support for people who mess with the settings. The stupid thing is that the documentation that comes with the modems asks you to log in as part of the setup process when really this isnt necessary.