Scenery on new road to Samana, vs. the old route

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Excuse me if this has been covered already. I searched but couldn't find any posts that answer this in detail.

BACKGROUND:
I used to chose to fly into SDQ (over POP) and take a guagua to Samana, just for the rich experience of the old route, its sights and smells: rice fields, mountains, changing scenery, a departure from the big city and all things efficient, a tranquil decompress time before hitting the heat, slowly getting reacquainted with the charms of its local color, food, music and culture, etc.

I have not been tempted to take the new road yet. I am skeptical. Which brings me to my question.

QUESTION:
How does the new road to Samana compare in scenery and local places to stop and eat? Is it ugly and boring concrete? Is there any good scenery similar to the old road(s)?

I'm almost tempted to take the longer old way, just because I suspect it is more interesting.

Let me know if I am mistaken.

Gracias,
Samanta:bunny:

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I love the scenery, esp los Haitises, but nowhere at all to stop and eat, nor fill up with petrol. But it is a joy to drive on a good road, with no potholes and few cars.

matilda

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I've taken the Caribe Tours on the old route often and recently the gua gua on the new highway. They are very different and I enjoy both very much. I alternate between the two routes. For me, the mountains and rice fields along the old route are spectacular, and I enjoy the short stop at SFM and the ability to use the banyo and get a snack along the way. The scenery along the new highway is really nice, but as Matilda says, there is nowhere to stop and eat, etc. IMO the real advantage is the time saved by using the new highway.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
nowhere at all to stop and eat, nor fill up with petrol

There is a new petrol stop (with beverages, not sure about food) just past the 3rd toll booth from Sto. Dom.
btw..these were Dec 09 toll charges:
Toll#1: 43 pesos, Toll #2: 140 pesos, Toll#3: 165 pesos

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Thanks everyone. I will stick with my usual M.O.: slower is usually more interesting.

Happy New Year!
-- Sammy with Suenos

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i would also add that the new route is 100 times safer than the old route. by that i mean, you're less likely to have an accident as there is next to no moto traffic and few cars. every time i get on a bus via the old route, i know that there will be a close call somewhere and, perhaps one of these times, it will end up fatal.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i would also add that the new route is 100 times safer than the old route. by that i mean, you're less likely to have an accident as there is next to no moto traffic and few cars. every time i get on a bus via the old route, i know that there will be a close call somewhere and, perhaps one of these times, it will end up fatal.

There have been a few head on collisions with fatalities on this road. Yes, no motos, but one lane each way with some driver's passing on curves. Not as safe as you say. And the curves can fool you, as they are worse than they look.

A nice ride, but be careful.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
There is a new petrol stop (with beverages, not sure about food) just past the 3rd toll booth from Sto. Dom.
btw..these were Dec 09 toll charges:
Toll#1: 43 pesos, Toll #2: 140 pesos, Toll#3: 165 pesos

My wife and I stopped there on our way to Cabarete from SD. and the food was very good, no gasoline as of yet but it is coming soon(so says the sign). I am sure in not too long there with be other paradas cropping up along the route.

I am not familiar with "the old route" mentioned in the other posts but I quite enjoyed this new route, in spite of the three peajes and all the tolls. I found the scenery interesting and as mentioned especially in the national park of Los Haitistes, much more mountainous and curvy but very beautiful.

The refreshing thing for me was that there were no monster pot holes and minimal traffic and the simple two lane highway meandering through this very beautiful country. There were no crowded towns built to the very edge of the road like else were with the usual traffic jams and chaos and insane moto and other drivers. I am quite used to driving here now but this drive was out of the ordinary, I enjoyed it, I was able to relax, and make good time.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I hear you!

Dear Jasper,
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the safety. And since I trust my driver 100%, I am going to stick with the old route. Witnessing the unsafe yet real conditions along it is part of my adapting to the local reality: chickens crossing the road, motoconchos with no turn signals or helmets and a live chicken dangling over someone's legs, babies in baskets, cows stopping traffic, pickup bed funeral processions, potholes bigger than the guagua, small stands selling local treats from hardworking donyas: all of that I relish.

Hopefully, neither of us encounters the fatal events.

Thanks again,
Sammy

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
CanWest

The refreshing thing for me was that there were no monster pot holes and minimal traffic and the simple two lane highway meandering through this very beautiful country. There were no crowded towns built to the very edge of the road like else were with the usual traffic jams and chaos and insane moto and other drivers. I am quite used to driving here now but this drive was out of the ordinary, I enjoyed it, I was able to relax, and make good time.

---------------

Thank you for drawing the disctinction for me. I now see that most of the time, I am going to opt for the "monster pot holes, wacky traffic...crowded towns built to the very edge of the road, ...the usual traffic jams and chaos and insane moto and other drivers." That is part of what I come for!

On the other hand, when I drive myself or am in a hurry, can't imagine either of those cases tempting me - then I will try the new route.

Thank you so much; I really appreciate it.
--SammyI

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Matilda

I love the scenery, esp los Haitises, but nowhere at all to stop and eat, nor fill up with petrol. But it is a joy to drive on a good road, with no potholes and few cars.

matilda

Thank you, Matilda. Could you tell me what you like most about the scenery in Los Haitises?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
RonS

I've taken the Caribe Tours on the old route often and recently the gua gua on the new highway. They are very different and I enjoy both very much. I alternate between the two routes. For me, the mountains and rice fields along the old route are spectacular, and I enjoy the short stop at SFM and the ability to use the banyo and get a snack along the way. The scenery along the new highway is really nice, but as Matilda says, there is nowhere to stop and eat, etc. IMO the real advantage is the time saved by using the new highway.

Thank you Ron. I am glad to hear that the mountains and rice fields are still intact. What kind of snacks to you get along the way? What is your favorite?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Sky

There have been a few head on collisions with fatalities on this road. Yes, no motos, but one lane each way with some driver's passing on curves. Not as safe as you say. And the curves can fool you, as they are worse than they look.

A nice ride, but be careful.

Sky, thanks for a good warning about what could be mistaken for a super safe road: good info for first time visitors who think about driving it. What is your favorite part of the road? Least favorite?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
jrhartley

sounds like a good business opportunity

You make me laugh. :) Of course it does. And, somewhere else, those property deals would have all been cut beforehand. :)

What I wonder is whether the government gets any nearby land for cheap/eminent domain. And why no-one is putting up more businesses along the way. Do you have any explanations?

captain3484

Feb 3, 2010
Bus on the new road

Is there a bus company that does transportation on the new highway? or do you have to take a cab or drive yourself?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you take the new highway then be careful on the curves. I was warned but nearly slid off the side of the road a couple of times.

The scenery is awesome - but then it is everywhere in the D.R. once you leave the towns.

I ended up going to Monte Plata to buy gasoline - which is nice as I have never been there before. There was a party going on in the main street which waylaid us for a couple of beers.

I actually used the road as an alternative route to go from Juan Dolio to Sosua. The road from the end of the new highway to Nagua (17kms) is a bit crappy and as everyone knows the road from Nagua to Cabrera is full of holes.

Luckily it was a gray day on the North Coast so I could see the holes in the road.
When it is sunny, the shadows from the trees makes it trick to see the potholes on that North Coast road.

Incidentally, I spent around the same on extra gas coming home the usual route as I did on the tolls travelling up there.

I was not driving too fast as I have turned into an old fart recently and the frive time was 3.5 Hrs in each direction - including stops in Monte Plata (up) and Moca (Down)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Is there a bus company that does transportation on the new highway? or do you have to take a cab or drive yourself?

there is a bus station on calle barahona,behind plaza lama on Ave. Duarte,that only goes the new highway,and has at least 18 busses a day from SD to Sanchez,Samana a couple to Las Galaeras,and Las Terrenas and el limon.Prices are up to 280 pesos.
bob