How do you grill fish or steaks in the RD?'

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We have to buy a new stove/cooker/estufa, our old but good Zanussi caught fire( imported when I immigrated). The only ones we have seen, so far, have no grill, we did see one with a grill down by one?s feet!!?? Can someone tell us where we can buy a gas cooker with built in grill, please.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Come on someone give me a clue as to where. The applance sticky does not say.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Where in the DR are you? The big appliance stores... Plaza Lama, Ferreteria Americana, Ochoa, etc...should have what you're looking for. A 6 burner stove with a griddle insert for the middle two burners is very common here, should be able to find that anywhere that sells appliances...If you're looking for something like a Jenn-Air with an actual BBQ type grill in the middle, you'll probably have to get that in one of the big stores in SD or Santiago...

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Where in the DR are you? The big appliance stores... Plaza Lama, Ferreteria Americana, Ochoa, etc...should have what you're looking for. A 6 burner stove with a griddle insert for the middle two burners is very common here, should be able to find that anywhere that sells appliances...If you're looking for something like a Jenn-Air with an actual BBQ type grill in the middle, you'll probably have to get that in one of the big stores in SD or Santiago...

I think Granca means broil since in her post she said she saw one with the grill down by one's feet.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not really understand what granca means.
this seperate grill thingy above the stove as in british gas stoves? - not sold here
grilling flat panel between stove burners as in american stoves, for pancakes and such? - available everywhere
grill function inside gas oven? - available in some stoves, ask in store

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If she means an open broiler/gas grill on top of the stove, they are made by Jenn-Air, Viking, sub-zero, etc. and are available here but VERY expensive...you also need a very good hood/vent system which should also have a sprinkler system (like commercial stove/grills) to put out the occasional grease fire. Better to just get a small gas grill (starting around 5000 pesos at LaSirena, Ochoa, etc.) and do your grilling outside...or even a charcoal grill for a few hundred pesos...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry I did not make it clear in my original post, I see now from my dictionary that American broil is indeed grill in UK English. This is where the heat comes from above and all the fat etc drips into a tray below. How on earth one can make toasted cheese on toast without a grill/broiler is beyond my imagination. History records that this was a favorite off Admiral Lord Nelson!!.

so

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
granca, i have not seen UK style stove in here but you can check shops with used appliences. where in DR are you?
also, you can buy a small pizza oven (i saw them in la sirena). not very expensive and they should do the job - heating from the above...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Being from the UK and having been brought up on grilled kippers and cheese on toast I fully understand your dilemma. I have found that there are two options.

1. Use the grill in the ovens here, which as you correctly point out, is on the floor. It is simple to use - you just have to lie on the floor along side the grill.

2. Option 2, which is a little less uncomfortable is that I toast the bread first in a dry frying pan - not having a toaster. This works well. At the same time heat a smaller pan with nothing in it. Then turn off first pan with toast in it, put cheese on top of toast and hover the othr heated pan above it. It takes a while but does work - you have to keep putting the pan back in the heat to get it hot. The alternative is to use the iron - make sure it doesn't touch the cheese though or will ruin your clothes later.

Option 2 does not work for kippers though!!

hope this helps lol

Matilda

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OK...so you're looking for a broiler...well, just about every stove sold in the US has a broiler, but on the bottom. In the UK the broiler is on top, above the oven?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Sorry I did not make it clear in my original post, I see now from my dictionary that American broil is indeed grill in UK English. This is where the heat comes from above and all the fat etc drips into a tray below. How on earth one can make toasted cheese on toast without a grill/broiler is beyond my imagination. History records that this was a favorite off Admiral Lord Nelson!!.

If you buy a big stove it will come with an adjustable (3 levels) broiler or grill and the pan. It will be in the bottom of course. I have a few dominican friends that have it don't use it though. What a shame

Reactions: mike l

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
funny!

:chinese:---------------------------------------

Granca, thanks for clarifying. For days now, I have been reading the name of your thread and wondering why in the world the OP didn't just BBQ (taino word) outside. Finally, I saw it was getting attention, and I decided to read and ask the OP why in the world they were not just grilling outdoors. I am glad I read all the posts. Before I made an as.pirin. of myself. Good luck and thanks for the laughs!

-- Sammy (hungry for grilled fish now!)

(they want me to lengthen this to at least 10 characters. what?)

this message is too short? ? ?

so[/QUOTE]

Reactions: mike l

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
one uses one of those funny american contraptions for cheese on toast- an american oven, I had no idea what it was the first time I saw one

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
one uses one of those funny american contraptions for cheese on toast- an american oven, I had no idea what it was the first time I saw one

Americans call cheese on toast a grilled cheese sandwich and we make it in a pan... you actually heat up a brolier and use it to melt cheese on bread?? Next thing you're gonna tell me you prefer driving on the left side of the road!

To swing this back around to DR related, Dominicans often use a Panini Maker-type "Sandwich Toaster" here... to make grilled cheese...usually with ham on it...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Of course I prefer driving on the left hand side of the road, when any other vehicle approaches, being right handed it is much easier to crack the whip on the right hand side of the horses and so pull them over to the left. Besides Napoleon introduced driving on the right and he has never been a popular fellow in the UK.
Apart from that thank you for all your stove suggestions, I shall go down the capital on Monday and follow your leads.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
PS to this thread.

Success, I was able to find at Plaza Lama just what I was looking for. A Frigidaire 30 inch wide estufa/stove with Grill/Broiler inside at the top of the oven, 4 burners and sizable oven. Now I can have grilled cheese on toast, kippers and grilled fish to my hearts content. They were on special offer at RD$ 25,000 (y pico) including conversion to LPG bottled gas. Thanks everyone for you help . Installed now and working.

May 29, 2006
Maybe you can find a toaster oven?
url]

That would have the broiler you need for cheese on toast.

We do not really use broilers in the US. We make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches instead of Cheese on Toast. If you can find a panini or Foreman Grill they do a great job. I've seen Panini grills in most large markets and hardware stores.

Electric Griddle
url]

Panini Press:
url]

Foreman Grill:
url]

The main difference between a Panini Press and a Foreman Grill is the Foreman grill has the grease and juices drain off into a catch basin.