whipped cream - need advice

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ever since i left poland nearly 8 years ago i keep on having this recurring dream ? at least once a month and sometimes as often as few times a week: i walk into cukiernia (polish for reposteria), i buy few nice cakes filled with whipped cream and i am just about to sink my teeth into my delicious treat when i wake up. my, how i miss polish cakes!
we all know that white cream decorating traditional dominican cake is made of sugar with minimal addition of egg whites :); foreign pastry makers, on the other hand, seem to be interested in butter based creams. i want nice fluffy whipped cream!
i therefore appeal to fellow dr1ers to give me a hand here with making my own whipped cream. what dominican product is the base? how much sugar should i use? i have in my fridge something called crema de leche (parmalat) ? will that do?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I use crema de leche plus sugar and whip it up to the consistency I want, not as good as fresh cream but it works.

May 12, 2005
WhippedCreamGirl375.jpg

Aug 21, 2007
Follow granca's recipe and add a touch of vanilla. It should be close enough to what you know and miss.

Lindsey

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you want fresh, buy crema para batir at the market. It should be located near the fresh milk, butter, etc. I find that powdered (icing) sugar works better for adding to the whipped cream than regular sugar. It dissolves more easily.

If you can't find the sugar at the market, put some regular sugar in your blender and pulverize it. That will work almost as well.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I buy RICA Crema de Leche/ Heavy Cream at Janet's in Cabarete. It's just like the heavy cream I buy in Canada and whips up very well.
I hate anything that is too sweet, so I just add a tiny bit of vanilla sugar or none at all.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you all for advice! i will try crema de leche first and then crema para batir. maybe the dream will stop :)

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
We use Crema Rica in the red carton. We have found that you must use the chilled version, not the long life. Whips up nicely and we add nothing to it.

Reactions: mike l

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hint: Make sure the bowl and the beater are totally, absolutely clean. No grease or oil! Otherwise, you will spend a long time whipping up that cream and only have slush as a result.

Some people recommend a copper bowl, but I have worked with stainless or glass or potter, and they all whip up nice.

(And they do sell Rediwhip in El Nacional!!! But that's cheating!)

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tried :(
crema de leche, sugar, a bit of vanilla, glass bowl (clean and dry), hamilton beach hand mixer. and nada. the result was sweet yellow cream. not looking very whipped, if you get my drift.
i know about whipped cream in cans. never lasts (deflates quickly). only thing you can do is to deliver it directly into a hungry gob (much to the horror of miesposo) before it goes flat.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?
she cries :(

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yellow? Humm not sure what happened there. Silly question but did you add the sugar and vanilla before or after whipping? Was the cream and bowl cold?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cream cold, bowl normal, sugar and vanilla added straigt away. was that a no no?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DV8: Wait until I get home and I will go through this step by step...

HB (I'll be home on Friday)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bless you, hb. i can cook, i swear! but postre making is out of my league... :(