This is absurd!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Even though it's not directly related to the Dr but it's worldwide and it affects the DR also, specially the travelers.
Yesterday while watching CNN they were mentioning the security measures taken by the US after the Christmas bomb scare and also specified the 14 ?problem? countries that support terrorism such as Yemen, Pakistan etc but firstly it was mentioned several times Cuba as also being on the list!!!!!!!
Know of one plot in Panama that Cuba was accused of but never heard of any terrorist acts executed by Cubans.
My personal opinion is that this is absurd, would like to know yours or maybe someone can tell me why Cuba is on that list.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I believe there was a bunch of hijackings from Cuba to the US, from people who wanted to reunite with their families, back in the 90's, which may have something to do with Cuba being placed on that list.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Some in Washington think Osama is hiding there. :cheeky:

btw not going to last long...not DR related

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This needs to get DR related very quickly.

A million other websites are covering this topic.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
OK....How would terrorism coming from Cuba affect the economy in the DR ?

That's a start :)

They have more reason to add the UK to the list, shoe bomber was from the UK and the Nigerian dude studied there.

The US stance on Cuba is ridiculous, even more so as it's a popular tourist destination for Europeans / Canadians and has been for years.

I don't see it having any effect on the DR economy, I don't see it happening. How many flights go to the US from Cuba?

The only time I see Cuba having any effect on the DR economy is if it opens up as a tourist destination for Americans. I guess that is not going to happen anytime soon.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The only time I see Cuba having any effect on the DR economy is if it opens up as a tourist destination for Americans. I guess that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Hopefully things will open up when Castro kicks the bucket.
Long overdue.....I for one would love to travel from the D.R. to Cuba for a good time (??? never been there) without the fear of going to prison by the U.S. government. I hear they wouldn't stamp my passport, but I can't take the chance.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hopefully things will open up when Castro kicks the bucket.
Long overdue.....I for one would love to travel from the D.R. to Cuba for a good time (??? never been there) without the fear of going to prison by the U.S. government. I hear they wouldn't stamp my passport, but I can't take the chance.

Don't worry they won't stamp your passport and I guarantee you that you'll love it there.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Cuba is not the place if the traveller is looking for good service, good food and comfortable living. But it is a lot safer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Traveling to Cuba from the DR is easy to do. Emily Tours in Santo Domingo is the place to make the arrangements. They have an excellent working relationship with the hotels in Cuba and will set you up with a complete package, including airfare, transport from terminal to hotel in Cuba and back to airport for departure.

They do not stamp your passport in Cuba, only the tourist card that you will get from Emily Tours.

If you don't want your US passport to show that you went out of the country for a few days without a destination stamp also shown, tell the people who stamp passports at the Santo Domingo airport. For $20 they will not stamp your passport.

If your passport already shows a number of trips to and from the DR, I wouldn't worry about it. One or two more DR stamps will never be noticed.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If your passport already shows a number of trips to and from the DR, I wouldn't worry about it. One or two more DR stamps will never be noticed.

My passport is chuck full of stamps from the U.S. to and from the D.R.
I'll give that agent a call and hear what she has to offer. Thank you

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Has anyone besides my wife decided that the US talks too much.???

When they tried to bomb the Twin Towers in the early 90s, the announcers all pontificated that only a "fully loaded jet liner" could do damage to the structure. So 9/11, and they used two fully loaded jet liners.

Now they say that persons from 14 countries will be scanned. Sh!t! at last count there there more than 180 countries in the world. Like the Dominican Republic.

So if I am going to be come a martyr, I get a visa to the DR, hook up with my buddies and get on AA to NYC and set my pants on fire???

Sheesh,,,,WHY TELL EVERYONE what you are going to do??? Just do it and be d@mned! I sure wish El Al was the only airline in the non-Muslim world!!

HB

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone besides my wife decided that the US talks too much.???

When they tried to bomb the Twin Towers in the early 90s, the announcers all pontificated that only a "fully loaded jet liner" could do damage to the structure. So 9/11, and they used two fully loaded jet liners.

Now they say that persons from 14 countries will be scanned. Sh!t! at last count there there more than 180 countries in the world. Like the Dominican Republic.

So if I am going to be come a martyr, I get a visa to the DR, hook up with my buddies and get on AA to NYC and set my pants on fire???

Sheesh,,,,WHY TELL EVERYONE what you are going to do??? Just do it and be d@mned! I sure wish El Al was the only airline in the non-Muslim world!!

HB
So true HB, The USA likes to inform the enemy of their game plans..
Lets be honest, Why does Isreal prevent these problems? because they racially profile..Thats what the US needs to start doing..Lets stop body searching the 65 year old lady in a wheelchair...

swake

Oct 27, 2002
So true HB, The USA likes to inform the enemy of their game plans..
Lets be honest, Why does Isreal prevent these problems? because they racially profile..Thats what the US needs to start doing..Lets stop body searching the 65 year old lady in a wheelchair...

Racial profiling won't do the trick not in the US, UK nor Europe. Can you for one tell a Brazilian from an Egyptian? I can't, at least, mostly I can't and I hold it for highly undesirable too. Religious and ethnic profiling would get you way further if universal declaration of HR, European Convention on Human Rights, etc etc would not stand in the way. Nations spend billions of $$$$$ on scrutinising all & sundry rather then focus on the real threat.

and way of topic. This thread will not make it to sunset.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Air travel would be a heck of a lot safer if they went back to the old ways, which was similar to the streets of Santo Domingo. In the old days, people were allowed to carry handguns onboard, as long as they weren't loaded. The only thing that happened was that every year, a few were hijacked and taken to another country for a day or two, but no one onboard was usually harmed.

Look at what happened to carjacking in Florida once they changed the laws and allowed people to carry in their cars without a permit - *no more carjackings*.

I know, I know, folks from the UK are now gasping, but guns do have their place. And preventing some nutcase from blowing up the plane you are riding on seems to be a good place to start.

You can't escape a falling jet that has just been blown up midair, but a better price to pay may be a LOT less security on the ground, and a few handguns aboard. I, for one, am not planning on flying into or out of the US anytime soon because of this recent, added, ineffective crapola.

Status
Not open for further replies.