Punta Cana Airport to Higuey

buzzbetny

Jan 5, 2010
Hi

Last January I flew into Punta Cana & got a gua-gua to Higuey. Due to horrendous traffic, this took many hours & I (along with many of the locals) got off the bus & walked part of the way as it was quicker.

Does this problem still exist or has it improved? It was a tiring & frustrating start to my holiday which I don't want to repeat!

buzz

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hi

Last January I flew into Punta Cana & got a gua-gua to Higuey. Due to horrendous traffic, this took many hours & I (along with many of the locals) got off the bus & walked part of the way as it was quicker.

Does this problem still exist or has it improved? It was a tiring & frustrating start to my holiday which I don't want to repeat!

buzz

Many hours ??? Are you sure there was not an accident on the road ?? Sorry but accidents happen frequently on that road,

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Enough doom & gloom!

Probably was an accident. My last two times driving from Higuey to PUJ there was an accident. Both times a large truck ran off the road, caught fire, ect?etc?

I think we have had more than our share of murders, abductions, moto deaths, car accidents, girls shot, floods, not to mention missing ribs, for a while!

Perhaps someone will report a positive experience they had on vacation?

tambo'

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The 45 km road from the airport to Higuey is a two lane long winding road that proceeds through semi urban and rural areas. It is the only short link between the tourist zone and Higuey. There are a few other routes, but they are so long and rural it would be like taking a trip from Battery Park in Manhattan via East Long Island in order to get to Harlem.

That said, most days the travel from the tourist zone to Higuey is uneventful. The usual transit time is no longer than an hour. The good news is that the road has been repaved, no holes to slow you down. However, disruption and stoppage of traffic can be caused by accidents, demonstations in the road, high holidays or festival traffic.

January 21 coming is the Our Lady of Altagracia festival and the Higuey holy sites will be overwhelmed with pilgrims, religious fanatics, tourists, and pickpockets. Expect high traffic on the road during the days; before, on, and after the event.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Please note: I forgot to add that rush hours are from 6:00 - 9:00 am and from 4:00 - 7:00 pm this is service and worker traffic going from and to Higuey and the tourist zone. Expect some delays.

Regards,
PJT

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The 45 km road from the airport to Higuey is a two lane long winding road that proceeds through semi urban and rural areas. It is the only short link between the tourist zone and Higuey. There are a few other routes, but they are so long and rural it would be like taking a trip from Battery Park in Manhattan via East Long Island in order to get to Harlem.

That said, most days the travel from the tourist zone to Higuey is uneventful. The usual transit time is no longer than an hour. The good news is that the road has been repaved, no holes to slow you down. However, disruption and stoppage of traffic can be caused by accidents, demonstations in the road, high holidays or festival traffic.

January 21 coming is the Our Lady of Altagracia festival and the Higuey holy sites will be overwhelmed with pilgrims, religious fanatics, tourists, and pickpockets. Expect high traffic on the road during the days; before, on, and after the event.
Regards,
PJT

And unfortunately a few accidents

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
Re: Enough doom & gloom!

I think we have had more than our share of murders, abductions, moto deaths, car accidents, girls shot, floods, not to mention missing ribs, for a while!

Perhaps someone will report a positive experience they had on vacation?

tambo'

Tambo

I?m certain I shared my ?positive experience? from my last trip with you in a PM. After all you gave me guidance before my trip to SDQ.

The OP asked about the traffic from PUJ to Higuey. Like most cities, rush hour or an accident will cause traffic congestion. It?s not normal for this road to have traffic problems unless there is an accident, rush hour or the others described above.