vacation rental deposit

cosoyoos

Jun 5, 2008
Hi We're looking at a Rental in Los Corales thru a rental/management/realestate company( Spam link removed, want to advertise contact Robert@DR1.com for rates in Punta Cana for Jan 17 - March 3 2010

What i need to know is the company is requesting a deposit of $500 US ( which is okay ) but they want me to send it Western Union in their name ( not companies ) with their passport ID#

Is this safe ,I know it's the Dominican but should it not be in the companies name
Your help would really be greatful (asap )as we are fast approaching our arrival date and do not want to miss out on this ( we already missed out on another one cause of stalling )

Thanks to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tamborista

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Western union is safe enough, but it is strange that they want it sent via Western Union as the charges for using the service are high. They will get the money but you need to be sure they are supposed to get the money and they aren't moving on to another job or country by the time you get there.
I'd write to another company rep and ask the usual procedure without mentioning the name of anyone, just ask how things usually work. If they mention an Western Union transaction as normal then you can be satisfied, if they don't mention this or mention another form of payment as the norm then I'd ask a few questions and even offer to pay on arrival if you are in serious doubt.
Also checkout the site that name and shame companies like ripoff.com or scam.com whatever these kinds of sites can be good to help avoid losing out on anything.
A general search on a few tavel sites can often offer up info you are looking for from previous paranoid people.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
No credit card deposit is a no deal in my book. Never WU money to a 3rd world nation unless he/she will be waiting for you at the airport when you get there.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Pay options?

I don't know this company so I will not comment about them.

In my opinion; any good company that deals with deposits should have a system that protects the buyer and the seller/provider and leaves a ?paper trail?. I may be wrong, but I don't think that WU has any real recourse if you have a problem. Especially in a 3rd World Country. Once the person has shown that they are the one to get the money, it is gone. (Having them promise to meet me at the airport is not a guarantee to me.)

We us Pay Pal for most our deposits. Very easy to set up and use with a known ?paper trail? without exposing CC or bank account information to and from us. We have had to return deposits and it is very easy to reverse the transaction. The cost per transaction is reasonable and gives us and our clients some piece of mind with no exposure. When using it to pay others and have a problem, we can file a claim that allows us the opportunity to get our money back. Most reputable people excepting payments don't want the black eye of fraud on their records or business.

Using a Credit Card for a deposit would be my next choice and then doing direct Bank deposit my last. Again, a ?paper trail? and recourse due to fraud can be pursued. But these allow some personal exposure to the paying person.

Ringo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
El Neptuno uses PayPal also. There is immediate notification when client authorizes payment and there is an excellent paper trail. Also, a large percentage of the renters are already familiar with PayPal and are comfortable using it. Also, as Ringo mentioned, refunds are very easily handled. This is used quite often by El Neptuno to refund the security deposit since the hours at which many renters leave is not convenient for making the inspection of the apartment.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
El Neptuno uses PayPal also. There is immediate notification when client authorizes payment and there is an excellent paper trail. Also, a large percentage of the renters are already familiar with PayPal and are comfortable using it. Also, as Ringo mentioned, refunds are very easily handled. This is used quite often by El Neptuno to refund the security deposit since the hours at which many renters leave is not convenient for making the inspection of the apartment.

Ken,

Kathy and I stayed at the place a few years (I think 3) back and was wondering if your team has any plans to redo the patio this decade.

The facilities were nice but needed a new patio in front of the apartments.

Best,
Arnold

Reactions: Tamborista

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi, Arnold,

We know that something needs to be done to improve the appearance of the front patio and were thinking about redoing the patio in 2010, but the last time the roof was done the installer used what proved to be inferior materials. So the roof has moved to the head of the tentative list of major projects for 2010.

But the appearance of the patio should not prevent you from staying at Neptuno again. The large apartments, closeness to the center of town and beach, the friendliness of the staff, the quiet, upscale neighborhood in which we are located, etc., are all good reasons to return.

I am sure the patio will again be one of the topics discussed by the Assembly in March, but to be honest with you, I do not think it will be the top priority project for 2010.

Happy New Year, Ken

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
what is the normal deposit?

I was going to rent a little house up in Las Terreanas and the price was $500 a week... fair enough.. but they wanted to security deposit of an additional $300 and all paid in advance into their account in Popular..

Seemed like a lot of money to just have a security deposit..plus, like some others, I did not want to just put it into their bank..

This is an established operation,,, so I do not doubt them. But was wondering what is SOP-

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Robert?

Perhaps Ken might care to enlighten us what the typical deposit is when he is done pimping el Neptuno?

I would like Robert to respond to part of this. Ken can respond as he wishes.

(Ken was a member of DR1 well before I was and we both have been around long before you. No Offense Tambo.)

As for deposits and money required "up front"? I don't think that there is a standard in the DR and situations can differ. My point is to have a paper trail. If they want that kind of money up front, then do it via a direct bank deposit/transfer from your bank to theirs. I would guess that you could also due this with a CC if needed. Ask the rental agent for some details/options, they should understand your concern and you should understand theirs.

For my short term rentals; I require a 25% deposit via PayPal or other "paper trail" payment. Since we live on the property, no other money is required until day of check in. Long term, 6 months or more, I do require first and last up front. Again... we live here full time, know what is going on and do not depend on others doing it for us.

Ringo

Reactions: Lucille

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I would like Robert to respond to part of this. Ken can respond as he wishes.

(Ken was a member of DR1 well before I was and we both have been around long before you. No Offense Tambo.)

My apologies to both Ringo, & Ken, I did not realize a double standard existed for senior members, I thought one must advertise to promote their condos on here??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tamborista, there is no double standard. I was asked a question about the condo where I live and I responded. I assume you didn't notice that. Be assured I would not have written my message had I not been asked the question.

With respect to your question, El Neptuno requires a 50% deposit to confirm the reservation and recommends that it be sent by PayPal for thie reasons mentioned in my initial post and it the first post by Ringo.

Ken

Mar 2, 2008
"Ken was a member of DR1 well before I was and we both have been around long before you."

Pray tell, what does that have to do with anything??

I know Ken, and I know El Neptuno, and both can speak for themselves without gratuitous and ridiculous arguments, which are completely meaningless.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
Tamborista, there is no double standard. I was asked a question about the condo where I live and I responded. I assume you didn't notice that. Be assured I would not have written my message had I not been asked the question.

With respect to your question, El Neptuno requires a 50% deposit to confirm the reservation and recommends that it be sent by PayPal for thie reasons mentioned in my initial post and it the first post by Ringo.

Ken

I seem to recall 2 very unpleasantries from our stay:

There was this stern old codger in Building A is yelling at the young ladies wearing high heels in the early AM.

Also recall an inconsiderate neighbor across the street from el neptuno blowing her SUV horn all day to open her gate,

I did not find either of these above items very tranquilo.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MBC, I read your post but am not going to respond since this thread is not about El Neptuno and I don't want another slap on the wrist from Tamborista.

But I will risk one observation: high heels in the middle of night making so much noise that they wake up sleepers in other apartments will be yelled at by somebody in all 3 buildings.