Child Custody

anamargaret

Dec 15, 2009
I have a 6 month old baby whose father is Dominican but was born in Canada (her Canadian documents contain his and my last names), if I bring her to DR can he stop me from leaving the country with the baby?

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I doubt legal authorities would get involved in something like this. I've recently met a guy with a similar issue and although authorities were called upon to help negotiate in some way, they didn't get involved and left the bickering to the individuals.
This case os the other way around though, a guy taking his child out of the country away from the mother.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have a 6 month old baby whose father is Dominican but was born in Canada (her Canadian documents contain his and my last names), if I bring her to DR can he stop me from leaving the country with the baby?

The Baby and you are both Canadian citizens and are free to come and go as you please.

I doubt he has the cash or the interest to try this!

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Piece of advice before booking your ticket:

Consult with a Dominican lawyer with experience in divorce (which is to say, not just any lawyer). While message boards are free, you are looking for a qualified legal opinion. Get one.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I wouldn't

What do you mean ?? you wouldn't bring the baby to the D.R. or you wouldn't stop the OP from leaving the D.R. with the baby ?????????

As for me, I understand that the dominican is mentionned in the birth certificate as the father of the child so I wouldn't bring the child to the D.R.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't want to suggest any legal considerations. Legality is not always the foundation of problems here. In other words, your legal rights may not always outweigh the lingering potential for aggravation. You don't have to share with us the "relationship" you and the father of your child currently have. So let me just remind you, that in this country, men, as useless and shy of responsibility as so many are, still feel they have ALL rights... only RIGHTS. Right to "their" child, even if they never gave it any support, "their esposa" even when divorced and them being at fault. Then it's "their" country and they have certainly their family backing them, no mater what the tell you.
So, the question, beyond the one of actual legal rights goes to you perception of how thing are between you and him and his family.
What is the motive of the trip (with the child)? Has it been suggested by the "father" wishing to see "his" child after how long? Has he tried to get money for xyz reasons from you? Has he supported the child financially?
You don't need to answer this HERE... it's just questions I suggest you ask yourself then the main question is, how likely is he to try to put you and your child in a difficult situation (like just trying to delay or difficult your timely return home) in order to obtain something (money, you, the baby or all) from you?

Now, my recommendation: If you have doubts, then I suggest Oahu, Maui or the Bahamas as your next vacation destination. Then, it may just not be worth the aggravation.

... J-D.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I don't want to suggest any legal considerations. Legality is not always the foundation of problems here. In other words, your legal rights may not always outweigh the lingering potential for aggravation. You don't have to share with us the "relationship" you and the father of your child currently have. So let me just remind you, that in this country, men, as useless and shy of responsibility as so many are, still feel they have ALL rights... only RIGHTS. Right to "their" child, even if they never gave it any support, "their esposa" even when divorced and them being at fault. Then it's "their" country and they have certainly their family backing them, no mater what the tell you.
So, the question, beyond the one of actual legal rights goes to you perception of how thing are between you and him and his family.
What is the motive of the trip (with the child)? Has it been suggested by the "father" wishing to see "his" child after how long? Has he tried to get money for xyz reasons from you? Has he supported the child financially?
You don't need to answer this HERE... it's just questions I suggest you ask yourself then the main question is, how likely is he to try to put you and your child in a difficult situation (like just trying to delay or difficult your timely return home) in order to obtain something (money, you, the baby or all) from you?

Now, my recommendation: If you have doubts, then I suggest Oahu, Maui or the Bahamas as your next vacation destination. Then, it may just not be worth the aggravation.

... J-D.

Very well said

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004

my sons father is also dominican, my son was born here in Canada... everytime i fly back from the dr customs in toronto ask me for a letter from the father that i have permission to take him in/out of the country [I had to show one yesterday as a matter of fact]... they always ask for this letter on the way back into canada.

Make sure that you have him sign this before leaving the country.

If you need an example of this PM and I can give you a copy of what I use.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I forgot to mention that although me and my husband are together I know of a girl who was divorcing her DR husband, she got the letter notarized by a lawyer here in Canada after he signed it, he will need a witness to sign too.
This guy tried to stop her from taking the baby out of the DR but from what I was told that because the letter was notorized that he couldn't stop her.

I wouldn't dare leaving the country without that letter... my husband's name is on my sons birth certificate also, even when I drive over to the states they ask me for the letter... you basically need this letter anytime you take the kid out of canada.

cr12

May 12, 2009
At the least, get the father to write a notarized letter that permits you to travel freely between Canada and the RD. Better yet, don't go to the DR. But you need to be careful with foreign travel because different countries have different child abduction laws.