Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Internet Please!

Hello Members,

I read the other Internet thread hoping it had some answers, but not, so I didn't want to hijack it..behold, another Internet question..

Since moving here some 6 Years ago, I started out with Tricom, when it rained, I lost my Internet. Ever since, I went with Codetel and still use them as my provider. BUT...I always seem to lose my connection, the speed I pay for is nothing close to what is delivered, and their service stinks to the highest of the Heavens..I just got my bill in and once again, its almost 4,000 peso's...I'm suppose to get 512MBPS, tested it many times via Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and its 0.07 up & 0.46 dn..yes, MBPS..That being said, I am looking for a new provider with little luck via my searches

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I do use the home phone for this service too, and the phone part of my bill is only 600.00 which IMO should be a lot lower, I only use it to call the corner market..

Overall, I use the Internet for business, so it needs to be stable and of course fast. The home phone, I can get by without it if necessary. I am located close to Estadio Quisqueya if that helps to decide on a suggested provider

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks so much!

Noel.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend before changind company call codetel, pick SOPORTE TECNICO DE INTERNET, althought their customer service sucks, in STI are very efficient.
    I had the same problem last year, I was recieving less than 50% speed that I was paying. they fixed the problem while talking to me. (you have to be in front of you computer). Now I am getting 70-80% of the speed i am supposed to get.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend that you get the numbers straight first.

Most likely your contract with Tricom is 512 kbps (K like kilo, not M like mega) and if you get 0.46 mbps you are getting 460 kbps so you are getting what you are paying for.

There is absolutely NO provider on the Island that offers 512 mbps connection, that is most likely the whole Island-outbound bandwidth combined! LOL

Even in my native country in Europe the most (right now) that goes on being offered, on fiber-to-home, ADSL2 and cable, is 100 to 120 mbps upload.

P.S. You will NOT get a DSL service without a phone line (a so-called stripped DSL), so you HAVE to pay for the landline even if you don't use it (I know, it sucks).
    Your other option is WiMAX from OneMax or Wind Telecom if you are in Santiago or Santo Domingo, or cable Internet in some cities (beware I have yet to see ONE cable internet in the DR that works flawlessly -- ONE!!!)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default question about Codetel's "portable" Internet option

Does anyone know about Codetel's Contrato Banda Ancha, which requires an 18-month contract and offers unlimited use at 3MB/sec speed? It's for Vista OS only and the cost is said to be around $60USD/month. Thanks for all input and feedback.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a new company coming to the DR soon? That will offer a better service and much lower rates?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    I recommend that you get the numbers straight first.

Most likely your contract with Tricom is 512 kbps (K like kilo, not M like mega) and if you get 0.46 mbps you are getting 460 kbps so you are getting what you are paying for.
    This is correct. I live near Colinas Mall and have the same plan and provider. My max downloads are right about 490 kbps, which surprised me. Funny thing, when I signed up I initially selected the 768kbps plan, but the girl told me it wouldnīt be any faster than the 512.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lando calrisian View Post
    Isn't there a new company coming to the DR soon? That will offer a better service and much lower rates?
    Believe that when I see it.... slowetell got the market cornered.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Some think you are still using Tricom, my reading of your post indicates you are using CODETEL.

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Since moving here some 6 Years ago, I started out with Tricom, when it rained, I lost my Internet. Ever since, I went with Codetel and still use them as my provider. BUT...I always seem to lose my connection, the speed I pay for is nothing close to what is delivered, and their service stinks to the highest of the Heavens..I just got my bill in and once again, its almost 4,000 peso's.......

I have Codetel with the Plan Internet Flash 768 Kbps and VIP phone service and the bill only comes to just under $3,200 pesos a month.

Don

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    I have Codetel with the Plan Internet Flash 768 Kbps and VIP phone service and the bill only comes to just under $3,200 pesos a month.
    I have Codetels 512/128 plan with VIP. What kind of download speeds are you getting?

Also, I read somewhere that you actually need upload speed to do video. My youtube is very slow. Anybody know if thatīs true? Or should I just upgrade to 1.0mbps?

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrchris74 View Post
    I have Codetels 512/128 plan with VIP. What kind of download speeds are you getting?

Also, I read somewhere that you actually need upload speed to do video. My youtube is very slow. Anybody know if thatīs true? Or should I just upgrade to 1.0mbps?
    880 DL / 519 UL as of 12:21pm January 8th
    796 DL / 517 UL as of 12:25pm January 8th
    917 DL / 456 UL as of 12:27pm January 8th

Using this for testing:

DSL Speed Tester

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast