Internet Please!

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Hello Members,

I read the other Internet thread hoping it had some answers, but not, so I didn't want to hijack it..behold, another Internet question..

Since moving here some 6 Years ago, I started out with Tricom, when it rained, I lost my Internet. Ever since, I went with Codetel and still use them as my provider. BUT...I always seem to lose my connection, the speed I pay for is nothing close to what is delivered, and their service stinks to the highest of the Heavens..I just got my bill in and once again, its almost 4,000 peso's...I'm suppose to get 512MBPS, tested it many times via Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and its 0.07 up & 0.46 dn..yes, MBPS..That being said, I am looking for a new provider with little luck via my searches

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I do use the home phone for this service too, and the phone part of my bill is only 600.00 which IMO should be a lot lower, I only use it to call the corner market..

Overall, I use the Internet for business, so it needs to be stable and of course fast. The home phone, I can get by without it if necessary. I am located close to Estadio Quisqueya if that helps to decide on a suggested provider

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks so much!

Noel.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I recommend before changind company call codetel, pick SOPORTE TECNICO DE INTERNET, althought their customer service sucks, in STI are very efficient.
I had the same problem last year, I was recieving less than 50% speed that I was paying. they fixed the problem while talking to me. (you have to be in front of you computer). Now I am getting 70-80% of the speed i am supposed to get.

Feb 7, 2007
I recommend that you get the numbers straight first.

Most likely your contract with Tricom is 512 kbps (K like kilo, not M like mega) and if you get 0.46 mbps you are getting 460 kbps so you are getting what you are paying for.

There is absolutely NO provider on the Island that offers 512 mbps connection, that is most likely the whole Island-outbound bandwidth combined! LOL

Even in my native country in Europe the most (right now) that goes on being offered, on fiber-to-home, ADSL2 and cable, is 100 to 120 mbps upload.

P.S. You will NOT get a DSL service without a phone line (a so-called stripped DSL), so you HAVE to pay for the landline even if you don't use it (I know, it sucks).
Your other option is WiMAX from OneMax or Wind Telecom if you are in Santiago or Santo Domingo, or cable Internet in some cities (beware I have yet to see ONE cable internet in the DR that works flawlessly -- ONE!!!)

BahiaDreamer

Dec 27, 2009
question about Codetel's "portable" Internet option

Does anyone know about Codetel's Contrato Banda Ancha, which requires an 18-month contract and offers unlimited use at 3MB/sec speed? It's for Vista OS only and the cost is said to be around $60USD/month. Thanks for all input and feedback.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I recommend that you get the numbers straight first.

Most likely your contract with Tricom is 512 kbps (K like kilo, not M like mega) and if you get 0.46 mbps you are getting 460 kbps so you are getting what you are paying for.

This is correct. I live near Colinas Mall and have the same plan and provider. My max downloads are right about 490 kbps, which surprised me. Funny thing, when I signed up I initially selected the 768kbps plan, but the girl told me it wouldn?t be any faster than the 512.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Some think you are still using Tricom, my reading of your post indicates you are using CODETEL.

Since moving here some 6 Years ago, I started out with Tricom, when it rained, I lost my Internet. Ever since, I went with Codetel and still use them as my provider. BUT...I always seem to lose my connection, the speed I pay for is nothing close to what is delivered, and their service stinks to the highest of the Heavens..I just got my bill in and once again, its almost 4,000 peso's.......

I have Codetel with the Plan Internet Flash 768 Kbps and VIP phone service and the bill only comes to just under $3,200 pesos a month.

Don

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I have Codetel with the Plan Internet Flash 768 Kbps and VIP phone service and the bill only comes to just under $3,200 pesos a month.

I have Codetels 512/128 plan with VIP. What kind of download speeds are you getting?

Also, I read somewhere that you actually need upload speed to do video. My youtube is very slow. Anybody know if that?s true? Or should I just upgrade to 1.0mbps?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have Codetels 512/128 plan with VIP. What kind of download speeds are you getting?

Also, I read somewhere that you actually need upload speed to do video. My youtube is very slow. Anybody know if that?s true? Or should I just upgrade to 1.0mbps?

880 DL / 519 UL as of 12:21pm January 8th
796 DL / 517 UL as of 12:25pm January 8th
917 DL / 456 UL as of 12:27pm January 8th

Using this for testing:

DSL Speed Tester

Reactions: mrchris74

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006

That?s pretty good for the 768k plan. I think I?ll upgrade it for the next billing cycle. Thanks for the info.

Chris

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

900 DL / 517 UL as of 05:55pm January 8th

Using this for testing:

DSL Speed Tester

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Does anyone know about Codetel's Contrato Banda Ancha, which requires an 18-month contract and offers unlimited use at 3MB/sec speed? It's for Vista OS only and the cost is said to be around $60USD/month. Thanks for all input and feedback.

Banda Ancha is working well, and does not require a specific operating system, to my knowledge.

Bill

BahiaDreamer

Dec 27, 2009
Banda Ancha is working well, and does not require a specific operating system, to my knowledge.

Bill

Bill, thank you very much for your response. It's my understanding the contractual agreement and purchase of the equipment must be done in Puerto Plata, correct? Another couple of questions: If you have Banda Ancha, do you know if there are any provisions that exclude non-residents (i.e., long-term tourists) from entering into a contract? And, is the contract transferable, meaning when I leave in July 2010 would I be able to sell/transfer" the remaining months of the contract and the equipment to another party?

Thanks, again, for taking time to post your response!

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
BandaAncha

Hi,

I entered into the contract with Claro at their office in Las Terrenas and suppose it is available in Samana and elsewhere here on the North Coast. As you know, it is an 18 month contract.

I paid for the term in two payments charged to a US VISA card (due a less that perfectly composed request in my less than precise Spanish): the first payment was for one month, the second was for 17 months.

The CLARO representative was not too interested in my cedula, preferring to jot down the information from my US passport--maybe he took a copy of it, I don't recall exactly.

As for transferring the USB stick and the service, I imagine that possibility is covered in the 6 or 7 pages that comprise the entire contract and--without deciphering the actual language, imagine that it is prohibited. Why else is CLARO interested in my cellular telephone number and passport information, for example. My contract also has a connection to my VISA card, although that connection should not continue beyond 18 months. Nevertheless, I would be wary of transferring the service and equipment, personally.

That said, who's to know if you pass it along, as long as the recipient doesn't require service or support (and perhaps even if they did?)

Clearly, I have no information on your final point and hope you've found these speculations amusing, if not definitive.

BTW, don't expect lightning-fast speeds with this service, it's not unlike a dial-up modem in the US, with meteorological nuances that impede connections during times of heavy rain, at least from my house.

Bill

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

Bill

Working well is the overstatement of the year. Depends on where you are located. I myself count myself lucky if I get downloads of 128kbps, and uploads I'm not even going to mention... (40 kpbs on average). Connection is very unstable...

And the price for the unlimited (10 GB) is 100 $ per month

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One thing about Claro is they never cancel a phone or internet service when you tell them to. They will just keep it on and bill you forever. The only way to cancel service is to stop payment.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Working well is the overstatement of the year. Depends on where you are located. I myself count myself lucky if I get downloads of 128kbps, and uploads I'm not even going to mention... (40 kpbs on average). Connection is very unstable...

And the price for the unlimited (10 GB) is 100 $ per month

It is true that before BandaAncha we never had any Internet service in our home. Now we do have some nearly all of the time. We do not require a broadband connection, (avoiding video and audio clips generally). This is good, because we are on the EDGE network here, which seems to be the approximate equivalent of a dial-up modem. Elsewhere, Santiago for example, the BandaAncha modem connects to a 3G network and seems to be quite fast.

Also the charge is less for me here.

This available service is much more than I had: nothing.

Bill

Bill

Bill