Higuey to Punta Cana Airport - Cheap!

Feb 7, 2007
This is how you can do the travel from Higuey to Punta Cana airport on a shoestring budget. You can do it even with heavy equipment as I did (3 bags + laptop).

When I left for Europe in December I decided that I would try to get to the Airport in PUJ by the cheapest means possible and see if that was an option. Using a taxi was a last recourse. Of course, I allowed myself plenty of time to get to the airport. I also decided to repeat this again on the way back form the airport to my house.

Going to PUJ from HIG
December

- Taxi within Higuey: RD$ 150
- Sitrabapu bus to Punta Cana (careful not to go on Bavaro one): RD$ 100
I used two seats so I paid RD$ 200
- Tip (propina) to the cobrador/driver for making a "detour" to physically enter the airport and drop you off at check-in: RD$ 200
Total: RD$ 550 (taxi cost: RD$ 1200)

Going to HIG from PUJ
January

- "Maletero" (bellboy) to haul my bags from customs to wherever I take the transportation from - cost me RD$ 100
- Employee bus from the airport to Higuey - "propina" (tip) to the driver: 5 EURO (about RD$ 250) - he called his supervisor who approved my riding there - very comfortable bus, full A/C, half-empty. these buses leave with employees every hour or so.
- Taxi within Higuey: RD$ 150
Total: RD$ 500 (taxi cost: RD$ 1200 if called form Higuey, or US$ 70 - about RD$ 2500 if taken at the airport).