Trying to get cedula!!! in santiago

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I recently was in Santtiago and tried to open a back account in Ban reservas i called from miami they ok all u need was passport and check stubs and w-2. But when i got there she siad no-no I had to have a cedula because even though im a citizen ai was born in DR. So then I went to the Junta E C to get then then they told me I wasn't in there system and they couldnt help me without the birth certificate because they said they coulnd't find me in there books. So they tried to send me to Ssanto Domingo i was like you gotta be kidding me . I said no way i get my birthcertificate which i had in miami. THey said the Junta in Miami could help me i didn't even know there was a JUnta in the Brickell consulate .

Anyways I get to the Junta with my birth certificate and the said it was old and the had to call santiago to help me out but that they would try which is a positive. Now I'm thinking great i will have a cedula within a month or so to go back to DR and open an acoount. To my surprise they said even if they help me that the cedula would only be available after the elections after May i said you got to be kidding me he said nope you will have to wait that was just crazy all this for a freakin bank account.

The said they will call me within 15 days to see if they can help. I left them a copy if my birth certificate I asked them do you need ID , my passsport or Drivers License he said no put it to the side of his desk he was going to forget about which Im almost sure that whats gonna happen . But Im gonna go down there and follow up just to make sure. Wow something so simple is turning into a hassle just for a bank account..If anybody knows an easier process let me know please . I need a cedula !!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Something is wrong with this story.
When I applied for a cedula, I was required to have a bank account as proof of being in the country (thru Guzman office)
ScotiaBank opened the account.... needed passport, 2 references, etc
It went as smoothly as any Dominican bank transaction will... but I got the account
Sometimes the bank account is the prerequisite for the cedula.....
Just the opposite of your experience ...:))

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOTICE:

To all those trying to do normal business transactions in the DR.
You are required to read : Catch 22

You need a bank account, but you have to have a cedula to open an account. Inorder to get a cedula, you need a bank account... go figure.

Once upon a time, a businessman wanted to purchase fuels wholesale at the refinery.
In order to be able to do that he needed to have a permit issued by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. In order to get the permit from C&I, he needed to have a contract with one of themajor fuel companies (Shell, Esso, Texaco etc). In order for the fuel companies to give him a contract he need to have a permit from C&I!

End result RD$1,300,000 delivered in cash in black plastic garbage bags on the desk of the minister. All this for a permit that should cost RD$15,000. Ah, ain't life great???

TO the OP: Any friends in Santiago that can get you a Birth Certificate???

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
NOTICE:

You need a bank account, but you have to have a cedula to open an account. Inorder to get a cedula, you need a bank account... go figure.

In 2006/2007 I opened up a bank account with Coop. San Jose, Banreservas and Banco Popular with a passport and two W-2's. I was also approved for an account with Scotiabank too.

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
just wanted to say that i went to the brickell consulate in miami just to check up on the cedula. I didn't mention that i was there 4 days ago just to see if they did there homework. Now the first person i spoke to said that they might be able to help me but that cedula's weren't being insued until after the elections. So went i gave him the papers to a another person to file it she said that they had requested a Birth certificate already and they found it . I was surprised and shocked . She said yes everything is fine it will cost 25 dollars I said great i couldn't believe it but i was happy. They took a picture and paid the bill they gave me a new birth certificate she said you are in the system now ,the cedula will be ready in about 10-15 days she said we'll call you so you can pick it up personally. Everything went so smoothly i was impressed with their service. Amazing

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
just wanted to say that i went to the brickell consulate in miami just to check up on the cedula. I didn't mention that i was there 4 days ago just to see if they did there homework. Now the first person i spoke to said that they might be able to help me but that cedula's weren't being insued until after the elections. So went i gave him the papers to a another person to file it she said that they had requested a Birth certificate already and they found it . I was surprised and shocked . She said yes everything is fine it will cost 25 dollars I said great i couldn't believe it but i was happy. They took a picture and paid the bill they gave me a new birth certificate she said you are in the system now ,the cedula will be ready in about 10-15 days she said we'll call you so you can pick it up personally. Everything went so smoothly i was impressed with their service. Amazing

Pa'que sepa! Es pa'lante que vamos! :)