Curious about stats on expats

M

mrgood1000

Can anyone tell me what percentage of expatriates live in the DR all year round? I assume these have no other home in another country. Also, I am assuming that the vast majority of expats live on the North Coast and a few in Santo Domingo. Thanks in advance.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Good question mrgood! but I'm not sure that anyone would have the stats. Given that many ex-pats even seem reluctant to tell their own embassy that they live here!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
100% of me lives here all the time in LT apart from up to 4 weeks holiday in UK each year.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I live here full time also. I like to get away as often as possible but that's just because I have family in the UK and I have the NYC bug at the moment but I have no other home than in the DR

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
good question...

Can anyone tell me what percentage of expatriates live in the DR all year round?

You'd probably have to go (donor) country by country to get accurate stat's.

The Internal Revenue Service knows exactly how many American expatraies are out there.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You'd probably have to go (donor) country by country to get accurate stat's.

The Internal Revenue Service knows exactly how many American expatraies are out there.
Not if you use a US address for mail and IRS correspondence.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Can anyone tell me what percentage of expatriates live in the DR all year round? I assume these have no other home in another country. Also, I am assuming that the vast majority of expats live on the North Coast and a few in Santo Domingo. Thanks in advance.

Full time in the DR for the past 3.5 years. Visited UK once before in Autumn 2007 and had no choice but to spend 9 weeks back in the UK last year. My other half was there for 10 months being diagnosed and treated for cancer. Yes, we live North Coast but out of tourist areas - our choice!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Not if you use a US address for mail and IRS correspondence.

Keep thinking that. My Dad came home from 12 years expatriate (FDNY, Ret.) to his official N.Y. address and got hit with a bill for back taxes which he didn't owe. They froze our joint personal and business accounts and I supported him for a year and a half before the lawyers got them sorted out.

At the end of the day it turned out that he hadn't owed them a dime. They didn't even offer an apology. I ate the legal fees and the interest on the frozen accounts. They weren't deductible.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Keep thinking that. My Dad came home from 12 years expatriate (FDNY, Ret.) to his official N.Y. address and got hit with a bill for back taxes which he didn't owe. They froze our joint personal and business accounts and I supported him for a year and a half before the lawyers got them sorted out.

At the end of the day it turned out that he hadn't owed them a dime. They didn't even offer an apology. I ate the legal fees and the interest on the frozen accounts. They weren't deductible.
He never filed his taxes?

U.S. Expats are required to pay taxes on assets/income generated in the U.S. and income over a certain level generated offshore.

Play square with Uncle Sugar and you'll have no problems.

Reactions: mike l

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am full time here for 10 years now and don't live in Santo Domingo nor north coast!!

matilda

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
A Blur

Those kind of statistics are blurred; who is a citizen of what country and how everyone is counted. Registered, not registered, doesn't matter. The planet is one big blur, thus the difficulty in tracking, investigating, stopping, taxing, even close to counting "us" is not a job I'd want. Reminds me of scientists trying to determine brain-cell loss from yesterday's or tomorrow's activities.
Who wants to be a statistic anyway?
I'd rather count my blessings and be happy I'm still participating, albeit on a minimalist level at this point.:cheeky:

Mar 2, 2008
Don't underestimate yourself, tflea. You are participating full-throttle, and I wish I were participating half as much.

All statistics are blurred, and no one wants to be a statistic, yet we all are, to one degree or another.

The important thing to remember, and the only thing we have any control over is that we make a difference to those around us. We have the ability to contribute to many others' lives, and those connections make us what we are, when all is said and done.

So, it really doesn't matter where we fit in any given data set, but how we contribute to that data set. Next month, next year, next decade, there will other data sets to consume statisticians, and more statistics printed in books to collect dust, but what we actually do as humans will be what truly summarizes who we are.

I can only hope to contribute everything I am capable of contributing while I'm here. I sure can't do it when I'm gone.

I love you, tflea!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Just tried emailing you the latest 'reliable' stats for Brits (from 2006) but..........you've changed your email address. Send me the new one if you want them.

And welcome back!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Here's some historical estimates (2003) from FUNGLODE: (in English) - just click on the top tab that says "Foreigners".

Dominicana On Line

and just noticed that the UK isn't listed below, maybe at that time there were very few with official residency.

And I am sure that the Haiti bashers will weigh in shortly. :bunny:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Capital is full of mixed expats. Example: canadians, americans, europeans, mexicans, colombians... you name it. Seems like they are not sitting around and drinking cuba libres so this is why they are pretty much invisible. Most have full time jobs or have businesses.
AZB

B

BettyDiamond

The difference between an Expatriate and an Immigrant

An immigrant is someone who intends to reside permanently, and not a casual visitor or traveler. Immigration means ?in-migration? into a country, and is the reverse of emigration ?out-migration.?

An expatriate (in abbreviated form expat) is someone temporarily or permanently in a country and culture other than that of their upbringing and/or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country), and is sometimes misspelled as ex-patriot, due to its pronunciation.

The difference between an expatriate and an immigrant is that immigrants commit themselves to becoming a part of their country of residence, whereas expatriates see themselves, and are perceived, as living in a foreign land.

some expats may be immigrants just to confuse matters

Reactions: Tamborista

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The difference between an Expatriate and an Immigrant

An immigrant is someone who intends to reside permanently, and not a casual visitor or traveler. Immigration means “in-migration” into a country, and is the reverse of emigration “out-migration.”

An expatriate (in abbreviated form expat) is someone temporarily or permanently in a country and culture other than that of their upbringing and/or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country), and is sometimes misspelled as ex-patriot, due to its pronunciation.

The difference between an expatriate and an immigrant is that immigrants commit themselves to becoming a part of their country of residence, whereas expatriates see themselves, and are perceived, as living in a foreign land.

some expats may be immigrants just to confuse matters

I believe I fall into both of these definitions! I am an immigrant to the DR and an ex-pat of the UK!

Last edited: