Caribe Campo - A good place to live or not?

Mr. Smooth

Jan 23, 2008
I'll be in Sosua in 2 months and have been checking out some of the local real estate web site listings for condos and apartments. Been coming to the North Coast for several years and have thought of possibly living there about half the time when I retire, perhaps in 5 more years.

I have seen a handful of units for sale in the Caribe Campo complex priced in the 20 and 30 thousand dollar range. A studio or 1 bdrm would be perfect for me. I have thought the location would be ideal, just far enough away from town to be out of the noise but close enough to walk or moto to wherever you need to go. I saw some old threads from a few years ago and what was said then wasn't too good regarding the management of that complex. Power would be off for hours at a time, the plumbing was suspect, etc.

Short of winning the lotto or having a wealthy relative that I don't know about passing on and leaving me with a ton of money, I will never be able to afford the pristine beachfront condo with all the bells and whistles and the 6 figure price that comes with it. But something more modest for under 40 thousand is certainly doable for me. Are there any DR1 members who own a condo in Caribe Campo or maybe someone who has been a long term renter there who could chime in on what sort of community that place is? Is the administration accountable to the owners? Are problems and concerns dealt with as quick as possible? Are you generally content with living there or do you regret making a purchase?

In short, has the place improved over the last few years and would it be worthwhile to consider buying one of these units in the future? Thanks for any and all replies and opinions.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I'll be in Sosua in 2 months and have been checking out some of the local real estate web site listings for condos and apartments. Been coming to the North Coast for several years and have thought of possibly living there about half the time when I retire, perhaps in 5 more years.

I have seen a handful of units for sale in the Caribe Campo complex priced in the 20 and 30 thousand dollar range. A studio or 1 bdrm would be perfect for me. I have thought the location would be ideal, just far enough away from town to be out of the noise but close enough to walk or moto to wherever you need to go. I saw some old threads from a few years ago and what was said then wasn't too good regarding the management of that complex. Power would be off for hours at a time, the plumbing was suspect, etc.

Short of winning the lotto or having a wealthy relative that I don't know about passing on and leaving me with a ton of money, I will never be able to afford the pristine beachfront condo with all the bells and whistles and the 6 figure price that comes with it. But something more modest for under 40 thousand is certainly doable for me. Are there any DR1 members who own a condo in Caribe Campo or maybe someone who has been a long term renter there who could chime in on what sort of community that place is? Is the administration accountable to the owners? Are problems and concerns dealt with as quick as possible? Are you generally content with living there or do you regret making a purchase?

In short, has the place improved over the last few years and would it be worthwhile to consider buying one of these units in the future? Thanks for any and all replies and opinions.

Hiya, We have a condo just down the road at the Majestic Apartments and use the pool at Caribe Campo on a regular basis. We also have friends that are spending six months renting an apartment there and another friend who is there renting long term (3yrs+). They are in the complex that used to be the hotel section. Personally I found the one bedroomed apartment to be very small & I assume that a studio would be the same. The main complaint they have is the lack of a back-up generator in the complex and the amount of space that is taken up by the inverter/batteries on a balcony which is already quite small to begin with. The area is quiet and a bit of a suntrap and the pool is lovely. I'm not sure about the association fees. I know the place has had a "bashing" here in DR1 in the past and am unsure if it has changed. If you are looking for an inexpensive studio apartment, I believe there is one for sale in the Palms for US$28'000. I can't post the link here but PM me if you want it.

I don't sell real estate, or have a vested interest - just trying to help
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Caribe Campo does not have a back up generator for electric, but they do have a small generator for the water in your apt. So you would need an inverter for 24 hour electric. Then you would have water and electric all the time. But be aware that the inverter would not run an AC unit.

I know people that live there, and most are content. It is not the Waldorf, but for the price it is ok.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I have had many dealings with Caribe Campo over the years, they have had some administration problems in the past but it seems to be running quite smoothly these days from what I can see. I know a number of people who live there year round and are quite content. There are plenty of rental units in there so I would advise you to rent for at least a few months before you buy. There are also a lot of units for sale so if you buy in haste and don't like it you may not be able to sell it again quickly!
PM if you need any more info.

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
We stayed there last year and did have to deal with the power outages (no back up inverter) but frankly it wasn't that big a problem. The power was usually out during the day, and so were we ... at the pool or the ocean. By the time we were back so was the power. We are returning this year for hopefully 7 months this time and have booked the same villa. We have a 3 bedroom condo with private patio, our own laundry room. and frankly the price is GREAT. it breaks down to about $18 a night, but they do not rent by the night lol. Can't complain. Folks there are friendly and go out of their way to help should you need it. Yep we're quite happy.