MIA, Earthquacke, freak accident, blood needed...

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
In such dramatic sircumstances speed is of utmost importance. Do you think it is possible to get a DR rappid response team of the ground. which could get things going fast with different specialities, contacting press, police, dogs, blood donors etc...
operational within hours if not minutes after an event, accident, MIA, earthquacke etc
DR is a great toolfor coordinating, but it lacks speed. f.i. I come online once a day or evem less. If my services are needed in this case it would take 24 hours or so for me to get the notice.

I haven?t participated in the treath of MIA but send a pm to rocky offering some specialized services. In the original thread are numerous valuable data that are some what lost in the 60 or more pages conserning the search.
It would be useful to collect and guard them.

Greetings

Johan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That case was closed.

You do bring up some good points.

Perhaps we can form a tight-knit Fast Action Team in three or four locations, say North Coast, East Coast, Santo Domingo.
They could obtain a confidential pool of information that might be needed for such scenarios as natural disasters, and could possible coordinate with the government's COE and General Mendez...

Who will take this ball???

HB

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I agree that the case is closed but it would be a shame to waste the gathered information and build further on it

like the thread on
sardogs from BelgianK
The blooddonor list

Johan

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Wardens

Don't know about other countries but the US and Canadian embassies have wardens throughout the country for emergencies, as mostly info sources and assist voluntarily should the need arise and coordinate with each other's country where appropriate, so at least there is something already in place.
Might be a good jumping off point for what the OP is suggesting.

Reactions: Celt202

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I like Hillbilly's idea to coordinate by region. We are actually working on a plan of this same nature for the teachers who live on campus at the school where I teach. I'd be happy to help expand that plan/list of contacts so that expats can also have access to assistance in times of need. I will help to organize contacts here on the East coast.

Maybe Chirimoya would be interested in working on that with me? =)

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
underneath the living forum you could just put a dying one and every few days we can all check in and see who was killed or "kidnapped":tired:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is a good reason for being registered with your embassy!!!!!!!
This is a good reason for being registered with your consular!!!!!!!
This is a good reason to give your important information of contacts, medical insurance,etc. to one close trusted friend in your home country and one friend in the DR. Keep all contact info in a safe place in your residence in the DR.
I like Hillbilly's idea to coordinate by region. I suggested that in the original post.

Reactions: catcherintherye

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I like Hillbilly's idea to coordinate by region. I suggested that in the original post.

dulce, here's a shout out for your brilliant idea. Kudos! better?

Instead of keeping a list of everyone's personal information, it might be more practical to compile a list of people/officials/organizations by region that can be contacted in the event of an emergency (depending on the type of emergency).

And if DR1 members would care to offer their efforts in such emergencies, maybe we can form regional committees that can be mobilized if needed. That way there is a plan that can help to expedite relief/aid.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
When i finaly get to santiago o la vega i?ll be glad to coordinate things. for the time being i live in the campo and coordinating is a bit difficult.
My idea is to take it step by step.
Firstly collect the data from the MIA thread, controle it and store it
Secondly getting a small group of people who are willing to be involved
Thirdly Getting a DR1 emergency number

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The region of La Vega until Santo Domingo will be covered by us (Peter and Hilde) and another experienced team of Santo Domingo (bomberos).

Training of 4 dogs for SAR is already started and a green light is already given from the Nation Government.

For the information of DR1 members, this SAR group is intended and supported by the Dominican Governement and the US and will be used in case of disaster or disappearing of people (adults or children).

It comprehends more then just delivering a service with some trainend SAR dogs but will be a complete build out facility of trained and experienced people with the necessary equipment and contacts (helicopter, rescue equipment, liaison with governement, hospitals, police etc..).

When everything is in its place, the next step is that this organisation will cover the whole of the Dominican Repubic expanding with other teams in other regions than stated above who are interested and can qualify for it.

Hilde and Peter

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The region of La Vega until Santo Domingo will be covered by us (Peter and Hilde) and another experienced team of Santo Domingo (bomberos).

Training of 4 dogs for SAR is already started and a green light is already given from the Nation Government.

For the information of DR1 members, this SAR group is intended and supported by the Dominican Governement and the US and will be used in case of disaster or disappearing of people (adults or children).

It comprehends more then just delivering a service with some trainend SAR dogs but will be a complete build out facility of trained and experienced people with the necessary equipment and contacts (helicopter, rescue equipment, liaison with governement, hospitals, police etc..).

When everything is in its place, the next step is that this organisation will cover the whole of the Dominican Repubic expanding with other teams in other regions than stated above who are interested and can qualify for it.

Hilde and Peter
Count me in in a few weeks time

Johan

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
My 2 cents worth

As much as I appreciate the good intentions of several posters here, I do have a number of mostly, practical comments.

The idea of collecting personal information, as much as possible, is not so easy as it sounds, as this info changes all the time. A few examples:
  • passport number: in a lot of countries this changes upon renewal
  • how many people change their mobile numbers because of lost phone, or change of provider
  • people moving and forgetting to tell
  • personally I never tell anybody my creditcard-number (only my wife knows it because she has the card... aaarghghhh...)
  • people change friends... for whatever reason
  • etc...

On top of this, do not forget that frequently it are your supposed friends, who betray you...

As you can see, a list like this would be a fulltime job, requiring a lot of discipline from the members as well...

If on the other hand, you are registered with your embassy, as someone posted, most of these things are automatically covered. They know your passport-number, and have the authority to get hold of the rest of the info.

A list with just contact-details of family in case of an emergency is prob a more realistic and helpful start.

About the SAR-program: a good SAR-dog takes years of training, and few really make the top. Therefore it is unrealistic and selfish to assume using SAR-dogs for DR1 alone. SAR-dogs are meant for the entire population, whether it is an expat or a lost child out of the barrio. On top of this you need the cooperation of the government, police, bomberos, etc... to make such a program work succesfully.

Please do not assume I'm THE authority on this subject, but I was just trying to give some "useful" comments...