4 missing while on DR fishing trip....

LA71009

May 13, 2009
4 missing while fishing in Dominican Republic

AP

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic ? The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for four people, including two U.S. citizens, who went missing on a fishing trip off the Dominican Republic's southern coast.

The Coast Guard says Robert Wayne and Laura Ricart left Boca Chica with Spaniard Javier Jorge and Dominican Plinio Jacobo, aboard a 24-foot (7-meter) boat.

Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad says Dominican authorities are helping with the search.

He said Saturday that the group left Thursday morning and was expected back the same afternoon.

Castrodad says Wayne is from Florida, although his hometown is unknown. Ricart is a U.S. citizen born in the Dominican Republic and is married to Jacobo.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
One of the friends of one of the missing parties went to the U.S. Consulate today to get assistance and I have not heard back from him yet but will keep you posted when I have any news

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This is in Fact Capt Rob from DR1 and his name is Robert Wayne Skaater.

There is a massive search going out again tomorrow with 6 helicopters a c130 coast guard plane and the DR navy is also searching.

Apparently there was a may day call that a vessell had an engine out and was taking on water but it is not believed to be the boat capt. rob was on.

This was a group of friends so let's quash any foul play rumors and no they weren't kidnapped !

The DR Navy says no debris has been found in 3 days except for a floating cooler that was 200 miles offshore so they don't think the vessel sank.

A friend of mine is going on the search tomorrow and I will have an update tomorrow night so let's hope for the best

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If anyone goes off shore they need to have an epirb so the coast guard can pin point their location.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
sans foul play

This was a group of friends so let's quash any foul play rumors

If you are refering to my post, I meant foul play as in any number of third party issues, such as:

pirates
encounter with drug boat
encounter with other illegal boat
saw something they were not supposed to
wrong place, wrong time

I did not mean to cast aspersions on their character(s).

Thanks so much for the update and clarification. I am scratching my head for possible explanations. And praying for them.
--Sam

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Word is that contralmirante julio gomez has found two bodies. One of a woman (laura) and a foreigner. Apparently they were both wearing life-jackets. Very sad.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Many condolences.... we are very sad for those lost and the families involved in such a tragic incident - R.I.P.

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Capt Rob

This is in Fact Capt Rob from DR1 and his name is Robert Wayne Skaater

He told me Wednesday he was taking some people out on their new boat to show them how to fish. I asked if it had been sea trialed and he sd they had it out in the bay three times.

I was supposed to fish with him today.havent been able to reach hm since saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Coast Guard searching for 4 missing boaters in waters south of Boca Chica, Dominican Republic | Coast Guard News

Capt Rob?s niece posted on the CG site.

This really sux. He was a very competent captain. New boat built here. He said he didn?t like the design but was going out to help these folks learn to fish. Said he would check out the boat?s handling when he took it out.

Although at least one of DR press is reporting that boat has been out several times, general consensus in 'boating' community is that, as you say, boat is new.
Nobody understands why they would go out fishing so late in a new boat and it is suspected that there was no radio on board.
Red flags, .....but, unfortunately, so common to go unheeded in this country.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That's really sad to hear. Although I never met Robert personally, a few of the guys in the office knew him well.

Condolences to all the families :(

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Looks like we lost Capt Rob

Robert Wagner (CaptRob) was apparently lost at sea. The Diario Libre says that the Navy has found the bodies of the husband and wife and are looking for Robert Wagner and Plinio Jacobo. They have yet to find the 30 foot yacht.

God rest.

HB