Chevez Devalues Currency By 50%

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The DR is fully dependant on Venezuela for petroleum products.

Any speculation/guesses/predictions of how that might effect the DR?

I'm unclear on one issue: does the DR pay for the interest on the oil products in $RD or $US?

Opinions, please...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
My uneducated economic opinion is that by devaluing the Bolivar the DP would gain in the exchange rate. As an example if last week the exchange was 1 bolivar=RD20 pesos then with a devaluation of 50% 1 bolivar=RD10 pesos or am I missing something.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike l

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
my uneducated economic opinion is that by devaluing the bolivar the dp would gain in the exchange rate. As an example if last week the exchange was 1 bolivar=rd20 pesos then with a devaluation of 50% 1 bolivar=rd10 pesos or am i missing something.

wouldn't it go the other way?

Reactions: mike l

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
It's a ratio thing. Don't sweat it.

I was looking at it from the point of view of a Venezuelan who goes to DR with bolivares. When he makes the exchange he will actually get less DR pesos because of the devaluation and the peso is strengthened. I believe that's right.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Does Charley Daniels play a mean fiddle? Are the Kennedys gun shy? Does raggidy Anne have cotton tits?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No.

If the Bolivar was devalued 50% relative to the Dominican peso, a Venezuelan who used to get 20 Dominican pesos per Bolivar would now only get 10.

The Dominican who used to need 20 pesos to buy a Bolivar would now only needs 10.

If you read the comments on the second link you'll see how Venezuelans feel about it.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=350148&CategoryId=10718
http://www.noticias24.com/actualida...ncia-la-devaluacion-del-bolivar-fuerte-a-430/

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Remember the nasty inflation spike in the DR a few years back, and the lasting ripple effect of virtually EVERYTHING in the DR getting MUCH more expensive...especially for the lower income groups?

Venezuela was suffering 25% inflation as it is. Wanna bet that doubles or triples in the fairly short term?

I find irony in how Chavez has been beating up private business for years and now says he needs more production and efficiency.

I'm hoping the current DR political leaders are paying close attention to what is happening economically in Venezuela.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Remember the nasty inflation spike in the DR a few years back, and the lasting ripple effect of virtually EVERYTHING in the DR getting MUCH more expensive...especially for the lower income groups?

Venezuela was suffering 25% inflation as it is. Wanna bet that doubles or triples in the fairly short term?

I find irony in how Chavez has been beating up private business for years and now says he needs more production and efficiency.

I'm hoping the current DR political leaders are paying close attention to what is happening economically in Venezuela.

And the news keeps getting worse for Venezuelans: Tras pagar sobornos en Venezuela, m?dicos cubanos huyen a Miami - Noticias de Estados Unidos y Canad? - Mundo - ELTIEMPO.COM

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I heard last year that of the "6000" Cuban doctors sent to Venezuela, "3000" have gone to Colombia..so there is probably something to that.

And this is also good news for Dominican bean farmers....we buy oil with beans...

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I heard last year that of the "6000" Cuban doctors sent to Venezuela, "3000" have gone to Colombia..so there is probably something to that.

And this is also good news for Dominican bean farmers....we buy oil with beans...

HB
Beans, huh? How would they now be valued? A 50% discount? I say that because the petro dollars are what is really being devalued.

I also understood that it's only interest on loans for oil that is being paid. I recall a 20-year deal to pay off principal.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Beans, huh? How would they now be valued? A 50% discount? I say that because the petro dollars are what is really being devalued.

I also understood that it's only interest on loans for oil that is being paid. I recall a 20-year deal to pay off principal.

Nop, Bolivar is what is being devalued, the beans are valued at US$Dollars, not "Petro Dollar".