carrying a knife in public!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
Just wondering if any one knew about carrying a blade in public throughout variouse regions of the DR ?
it could be concealed under my tshirt, or worn on a belt or shoulder strap. The knife I am reffering to is similar to a bowie knife so the blade is about 10inches, so this is not a Swiss army knife.
I will be living in the DR for six months, going out drinking late and staying in unsecure budget accomodation. I'm not going to be carrying it much and it's a last resort.
Any advice is welcome thank you!

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
Just wondering if any one knew about carrying a blade in public throughout variouse regions of the DR ?
it could be concealed under my tshirt, or worn on a belt or shoulder strap. The knife I am reffering to is similar to a bowie knife so the blade is about 10inches, so this is not a Swiss army knife.
I will be living in the DR for six months, going out drinking late and staying in unsecure budget accomodation. I'm not going to be carrying it much and it's a last resort.
Any advice is welcome thank you!

Yes, no problem, if you want someone to take it from you and beat you with the dull end just to embarrass you.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
It is legal to carry a knife. Many Dominicans walk around with Machetes.

It is illegal to carry knives and guns during and 10 days before the Christmas Holiday. I think this is still the rule, but it may be only for Santo Domingo.

The local term for a knife that size is "Arma de Blanca", and many clubs / discos will require you to check it at the door.

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
It is legal to carry a knife. Many Dominicans walk around with Machetes.

It is illegal to carry knives and guns during and 10 days before the Christmas Holiday. I think this is still the rule, but it may be only for Santo Domingo.

The local term for a knife that size is "Arma de Blanca", and many clubs / discos will require you to check it at the door.

Thank you, so it should not attract 'negative' attention if it were subtly hanging from my shoulder per say?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will be scanned as you go into many clubs and discos, so the BEEP will give it away....and you will have to turn it in. I do not think you would want to go against a Haitian or Dominican armed with a type of Lengua Mime....about 14"- 16" of 3/4" double sided "pig-stickers".

So, set aside your knife, keep a low profile, and behave yourself...

HB

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
yea I hear you! I have no trouble turning it over at the door, as long as I get it back when I exit! It would be slung low and out of site most of the time, I'm not looking for any trouble, just wanted to be leagaly equipped if trouble came my way. This is not the first time a side arm has saved my life

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
not looking to get in trouble in the club either ..just be carried for defensive means outside of these venues...I tend to frequent low key beach bars etc

Mar 2, 2008
Pledge, I often carry a knife with me, but I try to avoid any trouble, so the blade should be under 4 inches, and it should not be a "mechanical" knife (switchblade).

Although I own both types, I don't carry them often. A small reliable knife is sufficient in most circumstances.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
Perhaps the moderator can move this to the legal section so it can get a proper response as to where, when and what types of knives are allowed?

Yes, because Dr. Guzman and Assoc. can't wait to weigh in on such a pertinent topic.

Windy, I'm surprised you, HB and CITR gave this any mind.

Some guy wasting time asking if a 10-inch sticker hanging off of his shoulder walking around town will attract attention. Give me a break.

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
Yea thanks for the feedback, it was just a general question. Would rather be safe than sorry, not looking to draw attention to myself, but I'm aware that people do pack both knives and guns. This would be a last resort, and would not be carried very liberaly. And for the record I would never bring a knife to a gun fight...I would simply hand over my wallet...but if they are going for the juggular then I figured it beats a fist...you know!

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
You sound like you are coming to the Republic for the wrong reasons if you are packing a hunting knife. Maybe Kenya would be more appropriate. The reality is this. You are visiting, you get in any trouble then there is one of you and more of them, always. The best thing you can always do is run, or hand it over, and give them no reason to hurt you.
Your attitude is wrong for the streets of this country, you will end up worse off. Haitians who can cut finger nails with 2' machetes and dominicans who only hunt in packs, if you have a weapon you are asking for trouble.
Bring your flipflops and use your head rather than the Rambo knife, will be much more use than any weapon on this earth.

Also, if the police do notice you with this thing (they are not the brightest in the world but they know how to spot things like people carrying knives) you will be the one in trouble if a Dominican ends up stabbed, even if you are at the other end of town at the time.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Yea thanks for the feedback, it was just a general question. Would rather be safe than sorry, not looking to draw attention to myself, but I'm aware that people do pack both knives and guns. This would be a last resort, and would not be carried very liberaly. And for the record I would never bring a knife to a gun fight...I would simply hand over my wallet...but if they are going for the juggular then I figured it beats a fist...you know!

Yes, because Dr. Guzman and Assoc. can't wait to weigh in on such a pertinent topic.
Windy, I'm surprised you, HB and CITR gave this any mind.
Some guy wasting time asking if a 10-inch sticker hanging off of his shoulder walking around town will attract attention. Give me a break.

Wow -- DR1 strikes again. Somebody posts (as far as they are concerned) a legitimate question and the response is to mentally shake your head and reply with a smug, I-know-more-than-you-do post. Just for once, why not resist posting because, if you can't think of anything constructive to say that doesn't involve sarcasm, shut the f**k up and let somebody who might have something constructive to say reply before you hi-jack the thread and treat the poster like he's an imbecile!!
IMHO as always

Status
Not open for further replies.