Turey - Bonao

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On the way back from the north coast to SD we stopped at Turey [market] in Bonao {I think?}. We bought a lot of their dairy products, and they are absolutely delicious. The milk reminds me of when I was a kid [the cream separates]. We bought milk, yogurt, crema de leche [delicous on fresh fruit!], ricotta [a little dryer than I'm used to], queso in oja, queso frier.

Enjoying it all, if you pass there be sure to stop, you won't be sorry!

Bathrooms were pretty clean for a place like that too - but no toilet seats [par for the course] - and the most amazing hand dryers I've ever seen anywhere.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to life in the DR.. Those little places sure make a difference. And the crackers they sell with the cheese balls are great, too. There is a place next door: Taveras--which is equally as good.

AZB recommends a place further north for eating...have to try it one of these days.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
AZB recommends a place further north for eating...have to try it one of these days.

HB
The German/Turkish place? Outstanding. We ate there last week with a bunch of our guests.

The chicken gyros/"kabaps" are worth the trip alone.

And one guy had Jagerschnietzel (?sp?)...fried veal with the mushroom sauce...that looked wonderful!

It's like 3-5km south of Plaza Jacaranda...and has HELADO!:cheeky:

Also has some of the nicest, cleanest restrooms around.

Worthy stop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cobraboy, are you talking about plaza aleman? i saw it many times but never stopped. may be worth it.
turey/taveras - on the main highway, right? i tried cheese from one of those places - really nice!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy, are you talking about plaza aleman? i saw it many times but never stopped. may be worth it.
That's the one. Aftab first brought it up.

We stop there on our way to Santo Domingo to eat, then stop at Plaza Jacaranda for coffee on the way back.

Creatures of habit...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to life in the DR.. Those little places sure make a difference. And the crackers they sell with the cheese balls are great, too. There is a place next door: Taveras--which is equally as good.

HB

We bought some crackers, some corn muffins too. The place was mobbed, the lot full.

It was a great drive, we "shopped" all the way back to the capital - each town seemed to have a 'specialty' that my brother-in-law would tell us about, and we bought something at each stop: dairy products at Turey, mandarinas in one town, amazing pineapple and lechosa in another, half a goat in a town filled with goat stands, 4 pounds of crab claw meat in another, a whole stalk of platanos somewhere along the way [2 pesos each, could we resist??? in the colmados in SD some are charging 12-13 each].

We got the biggest kick out of all the Banca Beco from Navarrette to Montecristi - my husband's grandmother was Mercedes Beco from Navarrette, must be a relative of hers who started the 'chain'. We got to laughing that there were more Banca Beco than the frequent 'Se Vende' signs that are all over the place in DR. [The surname was actually Vesco when they came from Italy forever ago, but it got changed to Beco somewhere along the line.]

AE