Sosua Beach food

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevswick

Jan 23, 2006
I have been to Sosua beach a few times and always enjoy a Presidente or two.
I've been a little leary about eating there, though.
Any great places to eat?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Skandinavian Bar
Big D's Chicken & Rib's
Aris' Chiringuito
Black Box

I will not eat anywhere else!
There are 2 or 3 others that won't kill you.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Siempre Sol #145 as well as Scandinavian #152.

Some others seem to have a cooking oil that disagrees with many of our gringo tummies.

I can never finish a Scandinavian burger and fries. Now I share it with frau.

Mr. Smooth

Jan 23, 2008
I second the above posters choices. I always eat and drink at Tom's Scandanavian Bar #152. Great burgers and Tom also makes some very tasty meatballs. Plus, he has a great selection of music dvd's that he plays all day. I know because I have brought some Rolling Stones and Who dvd's to give to him. Also, and this is very important to me - his beers have to be the coldest on the beach. There is always a layer of frost on the bottle when it gets served to me.

You can't go wrong at Tom's.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
On Sundays, and some Saturdays, a Dominican family does a BBQ type setup right in the middle of the beach...they have whole fried fish, fried chicken, sometimes pork chops and other meat dishes...along with rice, moro, tostones, yucca, guineos, salad, etc. A plate is about 250 pesos, depending what you pile on it...It's not for everybody, but I HIGHLY recommend it if you want to try some authentic Dominican cooking, right on the sand.

I recently ate at the Black Box and I can say the burger was very good and only about 100 pesos, 150 with fries I think. It tasted like a pre-made burger from the US...not angus, but imported...not sure if that's the case, but I'd recommend it if you want a decent burger on the beach. Ive heard the rest of the menu is good as well and they have an all you can eat BBQ on Thursdays at 5pm.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
sosua beach food

Ziggy's is a great place to go, if you can find it. It is out of the way behind the english fish and chip restaurant about 1/4 down the beach.
The food is reasonable but my favorite is the fish filet.
Mostly frequented by germans

You may know ziggy as every night he goes to the german restaurant between clasico and latin club

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
For great food and great company I can recommend the British Bulldog Pub about halfway down the beach. Only place I found who served baked beans too :)

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I agree with the posts about Tom's....and a great bathroom with a fan that blows on you when the light goes on to cool you off. Burger is the specialty!

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Yep that's why I travel 2000 miles to get a burger on Sosua beach (NOT)

In 1987 I was on Sosua beach for the second time and I wanted lunch> Leaving the wife tanning I went looking. I watched where the beach vendors and chair rental guys were going and followed them to a hole in the wall place. I was not familiar with Dominican food at all. My Spanish was all but non existent. This is when I met Consuela, the cook and possibly owner, (the place is named after her) through a series of grunts and pointing from me, she very happily filled a plate (glass no Styrofoam yet) with rice beans and carne she asked if I wanted ensalada as well each time I responded in the affirmative she piled one ingredient on top of the last until I had what I know now is a very typical Dominican meal.
I was intending on going back to where we had chairs on the beach (not only to share with wife but in case I hated it) and again with a few hand gestures Consuela suggested I take the plate and a spoon and return them when I was finished. I tried to pay before leaving and again she suggested I do that when I return.
I was a little surprised by her generosity (I was getting a quick education about Dominican hospitality) but I headed back to eat. We shared this modest but truly awesome lunch. Wifey was so impressed she wanted her own plate so she came with me to return the plate and spoon. I guess bringing her with me was a major compliment and again my education was enhanced by what I know so well now, the genuine smiles and warm reception I have received time and time again in DR.
I have visited DR almost 40 times since then and as you might imagine I could not go to Sosua Beach without checking in and on the well being of one of many friends on the beach. Don't get me started on how I learned the difference between Mero and Moro. LOL
Sorry for the long post but I am very passionate about the DR and Dominicans in general and when I see people suggesting the highlight of lunch on Sosua beach is a burger I feel the need to share my opinion on these things.
Gerry

Reactions: rellosk

YNWA

Jan 12, 2010
Beach food

Hey....you have Tom's Scandinavian Bar...allways exellent food and icecold beer, nice music and nice guests, I have been eating there for 9 years and I have never ever had any problem's with my stomach....or the bill, which is the case in most of the other's bar on Sosua beach ....and they who say that Herman's Siempre Sol Bar have good food....well if you want to be sick, be my guest....he sell's OLD food, cooked in oil that he never changes...it cost's to much to change it.. he don't give a **** about if you get sick......and you people who have been here in Sosua know's that he's main intrest is to push a girl on you....from who he again takes %......So you people who want to go to the beach and enjoy a nice sunny day without any problem's......Tom's bar is the place to go.
About Black Box and the other bar's, I have nothing to say, because I haven't tryed them, and I don't intend to either, just because in my opinion Tom is the KING of Sosua Beach.....

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
About Black Box and the other bar's, I have nothing to say, because I haven't tryed them, and I don't intend to either, just because in my opinion Tom is the KING of Sosua Beach.....

Nothing against Tom or the Scandanavian Bar...Ive eaten there a couple of times and it's nice enough...but if you haven't tried anywhere else (except I assume Siempre Sol), how can you proclaim Tom the King of the Beach???

Reactions: rellosk

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I always like to book my holidays around where I can find baked beans, I wont go anywhere that doesnt have them

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Siempre Sol #145 as well as Scandinavian #152.

Some others seem to have a cooking oil that disagrees with many of our gringo tummies.

I can never finish a Scandinavian burger and fries. Now I share it with frau.
The OP asked, "Any great places to eat?". While Siempre Sol can be a fun place to hang out, the food is not good. Some of the food is not barely edible.

Recently, I've been eating at the Black Box. The food is good (not great), the owner is very hospitable, and the prices are good.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
My favorite place is stall #67. The grilled sea bass with rice is awesome.

On Sundays its the makeshift stand in the middle of the sand in the center of the beach for sure. You get to watch them cook our food in front of you. Fried fish with rice and beans is awesome.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
The OP asked, "Any great places to eat?". While Siempre Sol can be a fun place to hang out, the food is not good. Some of the food is not barely edible . . .

It never bothered me but the "frau" (aka jenrob) told me yesterday that it did give her an ugly-gut last year.

The things we don't talk about . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.