Parental Rights

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
I am a U.S. citizen and I have a child with a man from DR. He is not yet a U.S. citizen. All three of us live in the United States. He would like for the three of us to visit his family in DR, but I am a bit concerned that he may attempt to keep our son in DR- that perhaps if we leave our son with a family member while we go out to dinner, the family member may whisk our son away. I have not yet obtained a U.S. passport for our son and I really don't want to, but I am curious as to what sort of rights I have in DR as an American citizen and a parent to our U.S.-born son.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
It doesn?t sound like much of a relationship, but that is beside the point. Why don?t you want to obtain a US passport for your son, he was born in US? From what I gather it isn?t difficult and would make life much easier for you and for him.
It seems a little more complicated than it needs to be so I have no clue about your rights. Are you suggesting getting a Dominican passport in the US for you US born son to travel to the Dominican Republic?

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
I don't want to obtain a U.S. passport for my son because I don't want to take him to DR. I am afraid his father's family may attempt to keep him in DR.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I don't want to obtain a U.S. passport for my son because I don't want to take him to DR. I am afraid his father's family may attempt to keep him in DR.

Oh I see, well you can?t do one without the other, it doesn?t sound like you and the father are still together so thats a good thing.
If your son has a US passport then noone can stop you returning home with your son, he is American.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can you not just say 'no'? I'm assuming that you & the child's father are a dead relationship? The father would have rights to see his son, assuming he petitions for such, but his family in the DR are unlikely to have any 'rights'. If you have such a strong feeling that the DR family might try to retain your child, why run the risk of visiting?

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
Our relationship is pretty much dead in the water, but I have considered getting our son a passport to go to DR so that he can know his father's family. I'm beginning to think that the risk outweighs the benefits, however.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your other way of judging it, Zeffer_o, is to assess whether the father is a responsible, reliable father (does he provide for his child, for example, visit regularly, take your son to father-son pursuits) or is he the other sort of father who wants to show off his son to his family, with none of the attached responsibilities? The former type of father would be more likely to do what is right for the child, the latter type would do what is right for himself.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Our relationship is pretty much dead in the water, but I have considered getting our son a passport to go to DR so that he can know his father's family. I'm beginning to think that the risk outweighs the benefits, however.

You see, you answered yourself to your question.

What will you do if the father doesn't want to let his son leave the D.R. ?? Make a search it has been discussed on this board last week