Earthquake advance notice - animals or EQ alarms

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
This was started in the ongoing thread on the Haiti quake, but thought the topic should be pursued seperately.

Anyone with quake warning alarms or animals get any advance notice?
I believe some DR1 members may ahve installed EQ warning alarms after the 2003 quake. I've considered it, but not done so.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
14 dogs next door - no advance warning, quake alarm had battery detached coz it fell off the wall one night and frightened me lol

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This was started in the ongoing thread on the Haiti quake, but thought the topic should be pursued seperately.

Anyone with quake warning alarms or animals get any advance notice?
I believe some DR1 members may ahve installed EQ warning alarms after the 2003 quake. I've considered it, but not done so.

As you probably read when I posted on the other thread, our animals really took no notice - before, during or afterwards.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My dogs reacted 24 hours before and today but I do just now realise that because its my first encounter with an earth quake.

Yesterday the whole bunch were very nervous, finding no rest especially our border collie who we know is very sensitive. They can be a "fierce" gang when I let them out but this was different, something else triggered them.

Yesterday and today, Acira, my alfa Malinois disappeared for more then an hour, something she has never ever done before. Just have to call once and she pops up but not yesterday and not today.

When she came back she was extremely nervous and I had the feeling that she really did not know what to do with herself when she came back.

Just before the earth quake all dogs were resting and sleeping very peacefull and I thought...at last, whatever is was, the peace is back...

When we felt the tremor two dogs rushed to the door looking very alert, the rest tilted their head but stayed on their places, no barking and after a minute they were all back to sleep.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I replied to this on the other thread post 259 - sorry, hadn't seen this one.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/99565-earthquake-7-0-magnitude-haiti-26.html

Yes our EQ alarm went off but only at the same time as EQ (probably because it was a shallow EQ) - usually we get 25 seconds advance warning.

And I think we have another Bachata (our EQ sensing 30-secs-in-advance dog, sadly no longer with us). It's on the other post. A little bit of training & Rumba might be as good as Bachata was.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
My dogs reacted 24 hours before and today but I do just now realise that because its my first encounter with an earth quake.

Yesterday the whole bunch were very nervous, finding no rest especially our border collie who we know is very sensitive. They can be a "fierce" gang when I let them out but this was different, something else triggered them.

Yesterday and today, Acira, my alfa Malinois disappeared for more then an hour, something she has never ever done before. Just have to call once and she pops up but not yesterday and not today.

When she came back she was extremely nervous and I had the feeling that she really did not know what to do with herself when she came back.

Just before the earth quake all dogs were resting and sleeping very peacefull and I thought...at last, whatever is was, the peace is back...

When we felt the tremor two dogs rushed to the door looking very alert, the rest tilted their head but stayed on their places, no barking and after a minute they were all back to sleep.

I said that our dogs and cats did not react to the tremour which they didnt.... but when Isidro came back to feed them around 5 pm (as we gave him the afternoon off due to the rain) they were all totallly hyper. I did not think about it at the time but just maybe they knew there was something coming.....dogs have intuition which we don't...