Help for a Haitian family

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
A haitian family is living in front of me. They are 4 in all including his two child. He was much worried after hearing the earthquake. He told me that he want to visit Haiti to find if his family was alive and come back. He also told me that he do not have papers and one of his child was born in DR and has the records for it. He wants some help of how to go and come back without any problem at the frontier. I know him for the past one year and he was very good, god fearing and earn his living by doing small odd jobs. Is there anybody to give him some advice about how to proceed?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i think haitians can usually get across the border without paperwork as long as they are careful. especially now it should be a lot easier for the next few weeks if they cross at jimani. he'll be taking a risk though.

if you want to help him, give him enough money to bribe his way back into the DR and make sure he understands not to spend the money in haiti but to keep it to use it if he has to get back in. i'm guessing but i would think US$200 should be enough. there is risk to this strategy, but its probably more important he goes and helps his family in haiti.

(i did an illegal border crossing from haiti to the DR. but i'm an expat and i have DR papers. i didn't have to pay anything, i was with a dominican policeman as a guard thouhg)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
No sure about crossing..........i just watched that video with Leonel on MSNBC and the reporter did mention that some haitians that were trying to cross into the DR were not being allowed to cross.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A haitian family is living in front of me. They are 4 in all including his two child. He was much worried after hearing the earthquake. He told me that he want to visit Haiti to find if his family was alive and come back. He also told me that he do not have papers and one of his child was born in DR and has the records for it. He wants some help of how to go and come back without any problem at the frontier. I know him for the past one year and he was very good, god fearing and earn his living by doing small odd jobs. Is there anybody to give him some advice about how to proceed?

I think that if he has no papers and goes to Haiti, he will have great difficulty getting back in through any of the border crossings. Only Haitians with both passports and Dominican Visas will be allowed in.

Instead, help him post to the list here

Locate your relatives

and tell him to keep trying the phones.

Cell phone coverage is coming back but most people are out of charge

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Tell him to call my friend Pastor Arsenio at 829-361-7808. He will be going to PAP and he also knows about how to declare a Haitian born in the DR for future reference.

Please tell him "el amigo de Anjito "chi" " gave you the number.