Dominicans helping Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am simply stunned and overwhelmed by the support which is pouring out of this country to help Haiti

here is a group of 85 organized for those who blog and twitter

Propone viaje con bloggers y twitteros a “dar una mano en Hait?” | Imagenes Dominicanas

and I saw a waiting room full of Dominicans in the Red Cross for blood donations

Centro Bono full up with donations

Hundreds of the Guardia Civil in uniforms ready for transport

Brave newscasting teams that have been in and out and in again

BRAVO to you, Dominicanos!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Absolutely true, DR has truly stepped up to the plate in amazing fashion. I was astonished at the speed and depth of their assistance - the mobile kitchens to the heavy equipment. They have a lot to be proud of, and it's heartening to see that the rest of the world has praised them.

AE

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
meant to post this here

95783193.jpg

Dominican Civil Defense rescuers attempt to free Haitian tax authority employee Elie Liest trapped in the service's collapsed building in Port-au-Prince on January 14, 2010, two days after an earthquake measuring 7.0 on the open-ended Richter scale hit the Haitian capital. After an almost nine-hour battle to rescue him, Liest died beside a colleague, whose still partially trapped body prevented rescuers from lifting him out. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM (Photo credit should read NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images)
95789860.jpg

Dominican Civil Defense rescuers attempt to free Haitian tax authority employee Elie Liest trapped in the service's collapsed building
95789748.jpg

Members of a Dominican rescue team attempt to save a victim trapped amid the rubble of a destroyed building AFP PHOTO/Juan BARRETO
95789281.jpg

Members of a Dominican rescue team attempt to save a victim trapped amid the rubble of a destroyed building in Port-au-Prince on January 14, 2010, following the devastating earthquake that rocked Haiti on January 12.
95783299.jpg

Dominican Civil Defense rescuers stand near a body bag with the word 'Mort,' dead in French, written on it on the roof of the Haitian tax authority's partially collapsed building in Port-au-Prince on January 14, 2010, two days after an earthquake measuring 7.0 on the open-ended Richter scale hit the Haitian capital. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Sent to me by a listserve member

Just got back from Jimani and I was thinking I should write a message
describing the Dominican ?solidaridad? , which has been fantastic. Returning
from Jimani this afternoon I was listening to two radio stations raising
money on radio-thons-- people were donating money, food and time. Caravans
of private and government vehicles carrying relief goods were on their way
to PauP. In Jimani there were quite a few Dominican M.D.?s ready to cross
the border to go to work and many are already there. The response from the
Dominicans has been tremendous and will hopefully improve the historically
rivalrous relationship between the two countries. As there are many
radical Dominicans who are totally against having Haitians residing in the
D.R., there seem to be just as many or more Haitians who constantly
critisize Dominicans- the radio and TV programs in Haiti constantly talk
about how badly Haitians are treated here while most of it?s un-true-.n

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Just got back from Jimani and I was thinking I should write a message
describing the Dominican ?solidaridad? , which has been fantastic. Returning
from Jimani this afternoon I was listening to two radio stations raising
money on radio-thons-- people were donating money, food and time. Caravans
of private and government vehicles carrying relief goods were on their way
to PauP. In Jimani there were quite a few Dominican M.D.?s ready to cross
the border to go to work and many are already there. The response from the
Dominicans has been tremendous and will hopefully improve the historically
rivalrous relationship between the two countries. As there are many
radical Dominicans who are totally against having Haitians residing in the
D.R., there seem to be just as many or more Haitians who constantly
critisize Dominicans- the radio and TV programs in Haiti constantly talk
about how badly Haitians are treated here while most of it?s un-true-.n

Im proud also to be Dominican, but unfortunately in this moment some peoples are trying to damage Dominican Republic with some reports online, the most recent is a newspaper from Italy that says while Haiti its Death, DR is Playing Golf, in principals morning panel programs was talking about it this morning.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Im proud also to be Dominican, but unfortunately in this moment some peoples are trying to damage Dominican Republic with some reports online, the most recent is a newspaper from Italy that says while Haiti its Death, DR is Playing Golf, in principals morning panel programs was talking about it this morning.

Yes, I saw that on television.. how terrible!!

And from the Italians, as well!! I would have thought that they would have a better understanding of what was happening here.

Never mind, really. It is not a true report and all the International aid groups and the governments involved know how valuable and generous the aid from the DR has been.

There are always slings and arrows in this sort of thing.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
several groups of my local friends have been to haiti to volunteer and many more are currently recruiting. public schools are also collecting water here in POP to send over there. lots of parties and events are going on to collect funds as well. there is more than meets the eye.