mail question....

R

Reyna

does customs open small letter size packets? like a 5x7" envelope? I want to send someone an autographed baseball card but I'm worried if it will actually make it to it's recipient since I read here that things are often "missing" from packages sent. any advice?

G

Gunnar

Fedex, UPS, DHL - only way to do it!

Forget normal mail - haven't seen a postman for over two years!

And DONT WRITE BASEBALL-CARD
as content!!! "Granpa's fishing pictures" have better luck...

S

Silonius

Reyna, I agree with Gunnar. We do have a regular postman here in La Vega (Antonio) and he is very reliable to bring the mail he is given. The problem is the other people "inspecting" the mail. Use the more expensive, secure methods. And declare no value and use the photo idea. Good Luck.

B

Becca

I have a question to go with this? if you just send a letter, then there is no problem, right? Where are we suppose to put the contents? I have never heard of this and I send letters and packages all the time to Los Alcarrizos, and they recieve them.

G

Gunnar

Letters have a better chance to make it, especially if it is
obvious they only contain - letters. Try one of those thin,
almost transparent envelopes and put a dollar bill inside...

G

Gunnar

Right ho! And don't forget that some items, like computer
software, might be subject to customs fees, and detained
on that reason! Said it before - "Extract of japanese
legislation, in japanese" is a "good" declaration.
"Rolex watch" is not so good...

Silonius: Didn't know we're practically neighbours - pass
by for a cup of coffee if you're straying this way!

/Gunnar

K

Keith

Becca,

I lived in Santo Domingo four years, and I received personal correspondence, greeting cards and the like from family and friends through the regular mail system (INPOSDOM) all the time. Never lost one, and they often came faster than items sent through the special (and expensive) mail forwarding service I used for security-sensitive and business mail. So don't worry about letters if your family lives within greater SD and has a clear address (not always the case!). For anything remotely valuable -- such as the autographed baseball card mentioned above -- send it Fed-Ex, DHL, through a mail service or use "the real Dominican mail" as my Dominican wife calls it -- send it with a friend or relative traveling to the DR. :)
Regards,
Keith