self leveling compound?

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
can anyone tell me how or what I would ask for for a SLF over here, can't find anyone in my local area who knows my needs, best I'm getting is a sloppy cement mix (not good enough).
Thanks!

Reactions: mike l

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
can anyone tell me how or what I would ask for for a SLF over here, can't find anyone in my local area who knows my needs, best I'm getting is a sloppy cement mix (not good enough).
Thanks!

The Spanish (Spain) term is Mortero/Hormig?n Auto-Nivelante.

Never seen it being used or offered here, but then I don't see it all.
A "sloppy" cement mix will not be level. As you will know, SLU (Self Leveling Underlayment) is like water when mixed and then sets very quickly.

I got my professional grade, automatic rotating laser level HERE (POP).

... J-D.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Nivelador Acr?lico base Concreto, I researched in Google in Spanish, this should be the right translation for what you are looking for.
I had a hard time a few month ago looking for valve grinding compound (Pasta de esmerilaje para valvulas) went to different auto parts stores and I was lucky to find a Dominican guy who understood my needs.
That is the problem when I do mechanic work here, I don't know the name of of all the parts & the tools in English.

JJ

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Not only that, but a sloppy mix will greatly reduce the strength of the cement mixture.

Cement has to be mixed at the correct mixture to maximize it's strength.

Obviously true.

Anyways, I don't know what the OP's project is, but if you are on the North Coast and it'd be helpful, I'll gladly help with my laser level and show you how to pour a level floor or slab using concrete.

... J-D.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Thankyou everyone, my problem is trying to level the floor without raising the floor (obviously within reason). I have decided to tile myself as the workers made a right a$$ of the passageway. So the kitchen level needs to be the same as the passageway but it slopes and dips all over the place. With an SLC I could leave just enough to get my tiles down and keep the same level right through. SO you see my problem with laying a new slab, I can't go higher. I really don't want to chop away the existing slab as I can see that turning into a never ending story.

Thanks again, but still no sign of a Leveling compound anywhere. Any other ideas appreciated.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thankyou everyone, my problem is trying to level the floor without raising the floor (obviously within reason). I have decided to tile myself as the workers made a right a$$ of the passageway. So the kitchen level needs to be the same as the passageway but it slopes and dips all over the place. With an SLC I could leave just enough to get my tiles down and keep the same level right through. SO you see my problem with laying a new slab, I can't go higher. I really don't want to chop away the existing slab as I can see that turning into a never ending story.

Thanks again, but still no sign of a Leveling compound anywhere. Any other ideas appreciated.

Get a decent tile layer to do the work for you. It shouldn't be hard - there are a lot of good ones around. Let me know if you need someone.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Very quick lesson I received is that leave a Dominican to do a job for you and they will probably (hopefully) do a good job for you, BUT, even if they don't know how to do something then they will still take it on as if it is second nature and learn on the job, at my expense unfortunately.
I'd rather do it myself and have it done properly, even if it does take a long time. Thanks anyway.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Very quick lesson I received is that leave a Dominican to do a job for you and they will probably (hopefully) do a good job for you, BUT, even if they don't know how to do something then they will still take it on as if it is second nature and learn on the job, at my expense unfortunately.
I'd rather do it myself and have it done properly, even if it does take a long time. Thanks anyway.

That's why you make sure they have good references - that way no guessing is needed. Good luck.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

I am afraid you will not find a leveling compound. So, until surprised and proven wrong, I would suggest to meanwhile look at other approaches:

So, do I understand right, you only seek to level out dips on an existing floor, without adding height over the highest point present?
Do you have a pretty good idea of the maximum difference (fill)?
What reference surface would these dips be within?

... J-D.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Yes you are correct. The passageway from the front door runs off into all the rooms, this is reference for the rest of the rooms. The floor in question is at its highest as high as I can go (leaving 4mm for adhesive and the tile) the lower dips are far more than could be made up with dot and dab method tiling. I'm planning on putting an 80% bed down for the tiles and if it was level then life would be so much easier, quicker and the job so much better.
Without a Leveler then I'm not sure of the options. (At least I know now why I see so many poor tiling jobs around).
Some kind of mechanical skimmer maybe, but I'm not even sure this exists.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
is the surface to be covered with any kind of flooring (ie tile, carpet or wood laminate) or to be painted, etched or something else? if the floor is higher in parts to the doorway then a self leveler will attempt to flow out of the door and a sill or threshhold will have to be in place to keep it in the room. this will cause a difference in height of the rooms. if there are humps in the floor higher than the doorway it may be better to grind them down if you seek perfection. dips are easier to elleviate as they can be filled with a thinset mortar if a floor is to be installed on top of concrete. good luck, ben

Reactions: mike l

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Are you connected within the building trade here?

Yes - I'm a civil engineer and am trying to start up a construction company here. We just got our first project, the renovation of a gas station. We're here in Santiago.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Yes - I'm a civil engineer and am trying to start up a construction company here. We just got our first project, the renovation of a gas station. We're here in Santiago.

Wow, renovation of a gas station. Renovation or renewal/bring up to date?

Good look with it all, sounds like a venture.