Thread: Roads into Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roads into Haiti

Can anyone give a report on the roads in use into and out of Haiti?

What are the major crossing points? Dajabob? Jimani? Pedernales? Which roads are used the most heavily?

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, Dajabon & Pedernales are the major points. Comendador, Bánica, Pedernales are secondary.
    The problem is that past the frontier there are serious issues with roads. Comendador is probably the third best, Pedernales fourth and Bánica fifth, on my list, anyway.

Problem with Pedernales is you have really bad roads over to Jacmel and then that horrendous mountain road to PAP. Not for the feeble.

Just a 2˘ thought.

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reports about the traffic through Jimani...which road is being used, north or south of the lake...and the route through Pedernales?

Post Thanks / Like

According to CNN and ABC, the road from Jimaní is jammed with traffic in both directions. As to whether it is north or south of the Lake I cannot tell.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    According to CNN and ABC, the road from Jimaní is jammed with traffic in both directions. As to whether it is north or south of the Lake I cannot tell.

HB
    This is not true.
    Our people have been going in and out through Jimani for three days with no problems, no congestion and very little in the way of vehicle or document check.
    There were problems of congestion on Wednesday but they have been relieved since and passage is smooth.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks bryanell, this is extremely helpful.

how is the road from santo domingo to jimani? are there any issues or is it easily passable?

Post Thanks / Like

I said "jammed", not congested....they are full of vehicles....I certainly cannot comment on whether there are or are not traffic tie ups...In and out has been facilitated, of course.
    I would imagine a slow, steady travel into and out of Haiti.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Bryanell: This would seem to contradict your statements.

On another thread by "mountainannie"

My nephew in DC is a reasonably big wig at FEMA and reports the following

There have been delays at the airport in PAP in delivering supplies because some well meaning volunteers arrived expecting that they would be fed and watered

DO NOT go into PAP unless you have a contact there with a well who will take you in

WATER is in very short supply

There are serious delays now at the border as the road has been hit.

IT now will take 7 hours from the border to get into PAP-- as opposed to one hour. (Italics and bold are mine , HB).

PLEASE DO GO into PAP unless you are trained first responder working with the Dominican Red CROSS

THE MOST PRESSING need now is WATER

ANYTHING that delays the WATER TRUCKS hinders the rescue efforts.

please see my blog at Changing Perspectives for more continued updates from HAITI

kembe la

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default road to Jimani

I drove to the border two days ago. The road was good. Ambulances were moving in and out and dozens of trucks with rescue personel from the DR were coming in. My Haitian friends did not have any problem coming in and the border was not jammed packed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

fwiw we just got back from azua and aside from lots of trucks the road is normal