U.S. view - Heroes of the World!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I am Canadian and live in Canada and I am sick and tired of watching CNN and other American channels who seem to think they are the only country assisting with the relief effort in Haiti!! The Dominican Republic has assisted and continues to offer invaluable assistance, especially considering proximity and the fact that it's not a country that is wealthy and self-sufficient in it's own right! I mean Canada, U.K, China, France, Germany, Israel, Cuba, Jamaica, etc. (sorry if I did not list every country but I could go on forever) are also doing everything they can to help but Americans (as usual may I add!) make it sound like they are the only country helping and that their aid is the best and without them all would be for not, etc. I am soooooo sick of the American ego centric train of thought! Any others feel the same way??????

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If you only watched CNN you would have think the Dominicans hasn't done anything..Only Anderson Cooper has mentioned us, all the others journalist go to Haiti to interview American marines and American doctors, WTF. I'm sick and tired of that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
CBC mainly talks about Canadian efforts, The latin channels mainly talk about their respective country's efforts(contribution) CNNs main audience is the American public. The Israelis have a full field hospital in operation as well as rescue teams, the Colombians and Bolivians have rescue teams with sniffer dogs. Lots of city, state, and provincial contributions. Stop feeling so insecure, it's not a competition. As a member of the Canadian forces I've participated in rescue and relief efforts the Canadian public never heard of.

Reactions: las2137

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
CBC mainly talks about Canadian efforts, The latin channels mainly talk about their respective country's efforts(contribution) CNNs main audience is the American public. The Israelis have a full field hospital in operation as well as rescue teams, the Colombians and Bolivians have rescue teams with sniffer dogs. Lots of city, state, and provincial contributions. Stop feeling so insecure, it's not a competition. As a member of the Canadian forces I've participated in rescue and relief efforts the Canadian public never heard of.

I should have explained better, I did not just mean CNN, that was just an example channel I used since it's 24/7 coverage of U.S propaganda! I am far from insecure - I think the way I feel is a common Canadian/International emotion since we live next door to the U.S. and they seem to think they are the best (remember - according them they won WWII even though they only got involved at the very end after all the other allied forces fought for years in the war)! I just think the U.S. has such an egocentric view of themselves that it's sickening. Sorry... just my view. If they were so great and had so much money to throw around and help, why did it take an earthquake to get them to do so??? Before everyone jumps on me, of course I think the help they are providing is vital and excellent and I don't underestimate the value of influence from that country to motivate the world to help but they are just very self-centered.

May 5, 2007
USA is showboating as usual

Frank

It was only yesterday when I said "First the US will be criticised for not being the first to arrive, then they will be demonized for providing too much aid"

Someday,and I feel sad when that day arrives, the US will simply say "I'm sick of this crap, clean up your own problems

Of course US television centers on US efforts, that is their audiences

I realize the US didn't make a significant contribution to the allied effort in WW 2, England, France etc had the situation well in hand and US troops only were used as "show", Of course the supplies and volunteers involved from the very beginning had no impact either, useless US and it's showboating

How much is CBC promoting the US effort, El Jazeera etc. some people can't find a reason to hate the USA so they manufacture something in their feeble minds

If anyone wants to know who is doing what; ask the people on the ground who are benefiting from the US efforts, and those of ALL nations involved, not some ranting fool on a computer who obviously has no clue as to US history and it's involvement in assisting it's allies

I'll bet you don't find one Canadian soldier complaining about who gets what coverage, these dedicated men/women do what needs to be done while whiners do what they do best

This gets my vote as the most retarded post on any subject ever.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
This gets my vote as the most retarded post on any subject ever.

Frank, I have a question. Do you travel much? The views she expresses here are not that far out of the mainstream for people OUTSIDE the US, and shouldn't just be dismissed as "retarded". I know, I know, you and IslandWhatever will come back with "I have been here...I have been there...and everyone LOVES us", but when you are here, or when you are there, have you ever talked to someone outside your bubble (or outside the military base)?

Try it sometime. You would be in for a rude awakening (like when the US was not "welcomed as liberators" as a famouse politican once said).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I should have explained better, I did not just mean CNN, that was just an example channel I used since it's 24/7 coverage of U.S propaganda! I am far from insecure - I think the way I feel is a common Canadian/International emotion since we live next door to the U.S. and they seem to think they are the best (remember - according them they won WWII even though they only got involved at the very end after all the other allied forces fought for years in the war)! I just think the U.S. has such an egocentric view of themselves that it's sickening. Sorry... just my view. If they were so great and had so much money to throw around and help, why did it take an earthquake to get them to do so??? Before everyone jumps on me, of course I think the help they are providing is vital and excellent and I don't underestimate the value of influence from that country to motivate the world to help but they are just very self-centered.

Before I close this.

I think the US is doing a fantastic job. They are the only country able to mobilize the massive amount of aid and support that Haiti needs right now.

If you don't like the coverage, change the channel or go watch Aaljazeera in English :)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.