More quakes for Haiti, DR, and Jamaica ???

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is pure sensationalism. The entire Caribbean island archipelago, the entire Pacific coast of North and South America, and elsewhere in the world must prepare for more earthquakes.

This has been knowing since the times of Columbus.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I thought quakes usually release tension in fault lines, lessening the possibility of another big quake.

There are noted exceptions however, in 1946, within a few weeks, there were two large quakes (+8.0) in the Samana region, also in 1811-1812, within a few weeks, were two large quakes in the Missouri/Tennessee area (one that caused the Mississippi to run backwards for several days).

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I don't think its sensation seeking, its pure direct research. When one faultline releases its pressure, for sure other plates connected to the ones moved will be put out of place and the faultlines of these plates will become more under pressure then, but the fact remains that it stay's unpredictable when, where and how this pressure will be released.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't think its sensation seeking, its pure direct research. When one faultline releases its pressure, for sure other plates connected to the ones moved will be put out of place and the faultlines of these plates will become more under pressure then, but the fact remains that it stay's unpredictable when, where and how this pressure will be released.
And the fault lines that cross through Hispaniola also pass through the other islands, which means the pressure can be released anywhere ( for example, the fault line resposible for the earthquake in Port-au-Prince also passes through Kingston, Jamaica). Plus, there are other fault lines around the world currently under pressure as well.

It is sensationalism because the journalists are taking advantage that right now earthquakes is in everyone's mind, particularly on Hispaniola. They are appealing to people's emotions, that's sensationalism.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sure, every where in the world are faultlines who are at this moment under pressure.

The fact that this particular disaster happend on the Island of Hispanolia just makes reporters search for other faultlines in the neighberhood that could be potentially "dangerous".

In my eyes that has nothing to do with sensiation but those reporters just doing their job. Extending the reporting from the disaster to what is going on further on that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Earthquakes

> And there is a second fault system in the north of Haiti which extends to >the Dominican Republic which has not ruptured in 800 years and has built up >sufficient pressure for a 7.5 magnitude quake.

Anyone know how close this fault line extends to the urban centers of the North Coast???

I'll be in the DR, Sosua, for 3 weeks in March. I wouldn't change my vacation plans for anything. If the "big one" should happen to hit, at least I'll be somewhere I love the most (next to the Adirondaks and the old-growth forests of PA)...

Jim

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hispaniola Fault Lines

080902--USGS--Mag4--Hispaniola.jpg

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is a quote from my earlier post :

"There was a very good report about Earthquakes here in Hispaniola about the time of the 2003 earthquake in Puerto Plata.

Its tittle was :
Enjambre sismico en la Republica Dominicana, 22 de Setiembre, 2003 published on
25th September by Sergio Mora

I cant find it on the web at the moment but it looked at sequences of earthquakes over the last three centuries or so and there seems to be a fifty year cycle - the last major sequence was in Samana from 1946 to 1953.
Its worth reading if you can find it."
This scientific paper suggested that every 50 years there was a major adjustment to the faults in DR/Hispaniola. It is now 50 years from the last major earthquake if you count the Puerto Plate one in 2003. These series extended over aperiod of about 6 to 10 years so perhaps this is not so far fetched.

Olly

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've talked with both those guys quoted in the article (Paul Mann & Eric Calais) and they know more about earthquakes in our region than anyone else.

It should be taken seriously.