feeling frustrated and overwhelmed

elaine grill

Jan 17, 2010
We are currently living in Santiago as part of a 2 yr. job transfer from Ohio. We are in the midst of learning Latin American Rosetta Stone coarses, but it does take time. While moving to a new country is both frightening and intimidating, what suggestions does anyone have for making us feel more at ease. Any suggestions out there for shopping, getting our haircut, sending mail or in general any friendly businesses here in Santiago that may have bilingual people working for them would be very helpful.
Thank you,
Elaine

Nov 25, 2008
Shopping supermarket is good La Nacional, you will find what you need
Hair cuts bepends where you live, is transportation available to make it easy
Mail can be done thru EPS, its a cheaper FEDEX service to send and receive with a Miami POBox
Friendly business?

I just PM with more info

welcome

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There's also PriceSmart...it's just like Costco. The majority of movies in the theaters are in English, with Spanish subtitles. There are McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Dominos, etc, if you're craving US fast food. There's a TGIFriday's if you're craving, well...TGIFridays...there's a store called Omaha Gourmet that sells Omaha Steaks, and many other US foods and snacks that are hard to find elsewhere.

Also, through DR1, you could meet some of the other ex-pats living in Santiago, there are quite a few.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure Hillbilly, HB for short, will soon see your post and make contact with you. He is a very long-time resident of the DR, lives in Santiago, and is very active helping newcomers with information, etc.

But there is no need to feel frightened or intimidated. The Dominican people are very friendly and most speak at least some English and may understand more. If you make use of the Spanish you have learned so far, you will find that they will understand you and appreciate your efforts. Use sign language, or whatever else comes to mind, to make yourself clear. I'm sure you and your husband are resourceful people, enjoy the experience of getting acquainted with a great country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Send me a PM....our house is located in Los Jardines.

We make good coffee and I'd guess we have a bit of experience here..

HB

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Think about getting out of Santiago on the weekends and heading out to Cabarete. There are a TON of expats there, good restaurants, the beach, nightlife, etc.

Sometimes, just changing the scenery will do wonders for your outlook.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Man Hillbilly I was thinking of moving to Gurabo too. Yea, well where I live most of the barbers speak english only because they use to drive taxi in NY and pooled their money for the shop here. I cut my own hair though(I got a solar powered Flo-Bee).
Yea Santiago is pretty big, its like San Antonio or Philly, do you know where you re going to live? You can go to Jumbo at Las Colinas, El Encanto downtown Santiago(its like a Super Kmart).
Your learning curve is will be huge on Spanish because these people speak faster than other places like Mexico or Honduras. But if your working for an international company many of those people may speak english on some level.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
While moving to a new country is both frightening and intimidating, what suggestions does anyone have for making us feel more at ease.

Sorry to hear you feel frustrated and overwhelmed. My suggestion would be to get involved in some voluntary work, say, helping the physically handicapped where the caring tasks would not need so much Spanish and communicating non-verbally (smiles, hugs, squeezing hands, arms round shoulders etc) can convey important messages of caring wiith no Spanish at all.

The suggestion might sound a bit pious but it actually works :). Concentrating on others with much larger problems will put yours in perspective and will give you a good standing in the community, so you will make more friends. The DR is one of the easier countries in the world to live in, nothing here to be really frightened or intimidated by. I think I'd also suggest changing your basic premise that 'moving to a new country is both frightening and intimidating' - try substituting 'moving to a new country can be both exciting and challenging'. See where I'm going? Being realistic yet also incorporating the positive. And remember, it get's easier the longer you're here.

Reactions: las2137

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LIKE I SAID: Send me a PM (Private Message) and I'll give you my phone number.

Won't do any good to bottle it up!!

HB

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
Dont play it safe reach out explore ,get in touch with hill billy meet new expats that have lived here as much as possible to learn how they have dealt with coming and living in this lovely country .also get upt o cabarete early in the morning when nice weather is about and walk the beach ,and have lunch on the beach in anice restaurant ( the only place in my experience where they are allowed right on the beach. Get lost in the fantasy of the caribbean(however keep your wallet in top pocket or poch around neck to avoid maybe occasional pick pocket) enjoy.....