How to cancel a flight to DR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
We need advice. A group of people from NY want to cancel their trip to Sosua and to get a refund on their JetBlue tickets JFK-POP.

We read some time ago here that JetBlue gives a Dominican refund without penalty. Is it true? How to proceed in practical terms?

To call JB Customer Service? What to tell them to be a success with full refund without penalty?

Thank you in advance!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
To the best of my knowledge JB flights are non-refundable. They may offer an option to change the date for future travel.

To find out about any exceptions to this rule, call 1800 JETBLUE.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
To the best of my knowledge JB flights are non-refundable. They may offer an option to change the date for future travel.

To find out about any exceptions to this rule, call 1800 JETBLUE.

It is true.

But here on the Forum it was said earlier that for trips to DR JB made an exception due to all recent unfortunate events and public safety and health concerns.

Anyone who got a DR refund from them, please share information and experience!

Those people are not rich and lost ticket money will be a big damage to them. So, they need help!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It is true.

But here on the Forum it was said earlier that for trips to DR JB made an exception due to all recent unfortunate events and public safety and health concerns.

What public safety and health concerns?

Please be more specific. I think your confusing the DR with Haiti.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
What public safety and health concerns?

Please be more specific. I think your confusing the DR with Haiti.

Whatever. What to tell JetBlue to get full refund please? If someone is aware first-hand!

Rather urgent please if possible!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am not understanding how Jetblue is accountable for peoples travel plans to the DR made prior to the earthquake in Haiti?

Now if their itinerary included Haiti, I may better understand.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is no earthly reason to cancel a vacation the the Dominican Republic.

This is just hysteria. NOTHING is happening here. EXCEPT that the DR is helping Haiti in a massive, compassionate manner. Doctors, nurses, relief workers, food, medicine rescue teams are IN HAITI....

Here, life goes on fairly normally. A lot of us feel sad for the suffering so close to us, but it only affects our daily lives tangentaly (?)....Like my Haitian students who worry about their families. Or our friends who lost loved ones in the quake--those 4 engineers were all known to us..

We try and help as we can.

However, this is our problem and things go on. Baseball is being played. The beaches are still there.

Any danger is from too much sun and drinking.

Do not let mass hysteria keep you from enjoying a nice vacation from the cold.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The earlier posting, if I remember correctly, said that Jet Blue was giving refunds for flights to Haiti.

I've been in DR since 12/29 and have experienced absolutely NO change in any aspect of life here. None. Zip. Zilch. Tell your friends to get on the plane and enjoy it here!! Jump right in, the water's fine.

AE

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will never get a refund from Jet Blue, the best you can get is credit for another flight in the future.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

This is just hysteria. NOTHING is happening here. EXCEPT that the DR is helping Haiti in a massive, compassionate manner. Doctors, nurses, relief workers, food, medicine rescue teams are IN HAITI....

Here, life goes on fairly normally. A lot of us feel sad for the suffering so close to us, but it only affects our daily lives tangentaly (?)....Like my Haitian students who worry about their families. Or our friends who lost loved ones in the quake--those 4 engineers were all known to us..

However, this is our problem and things go on. Baseball is being played. The beaches are still there.

HB

It's unfortunate, but it seems that many people here in Canada are less educated in the geography of the island than I thought. I was at a function this morning and was asked by several of my friends if we were still going ahead with our move to the DR since the earthquake. This is what we are dealing with here....many people just don't understand. It's not that they are ignorant, but only hear what the media reports and don't bother to do the research.

Let's hope the media can set things straight and tell the world that the DR is doing just fine. We must spread the word as well.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Last year I needed to cancel on Jet Blue. They gave me a credit that needs to be used within a year. There was a charge of $100.00. This was for all tickets that were booked together. If all tickets were purchased seperately there would be a $100.00 penalty per ticket.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
AFAIK nothing was ever announced by JetBlue about refunds.

What they did announce was the ability to change the date of your travel and rebook without a fee.

"If your travel plans include one of the following airports, and you would like to make a change to a new flight without fee or fare difference, please click the link below. Customers traveling January 13 through January 17 may move to a new flight between the same cities, that departs anytime between now and January 20. Changes must be made prior to your originally scheduled departure.

* Puerto Plata (POP)
* Santo Domingo (SDQ)
* Santiago (STI)"

The link to do this is here:

JetBlue:Travel Info:Haiti Relief

Gregg

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
It's unfortunate, but it seems that many people here in Canada are less educated in the geography of the island than I thought. I was at a function this morning and was asked by several of my friends if we were still going ahead with our move to the DR since the earthquake. This is what we are dealing with here....many people just don't understand. It's not that they are ignorant, but only hear what the media reports and don't bother to do the research.

Let's hope the media can set things straight and tell the world that the DR is doing just fine. We must spread the word as well.

I'm in the exact same boat! I'm doing my best to spread the word :)

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
AFAIK nothing was ever announced by JetBlue about refunds.

What they did announce was the ability to change the date of your travel and rebook without a fee.

"If your travel plans include one of the following airports, and you would like to make a change to a new flight without fee or fare difference, please click the link below. Customers traveling January 13 through January 17 may move to a new flight between the same cities, that departs anytime between now and January 20. Changes must be made prior to your originally scheduled departure.

* Puerto Plata (POP)
* Santo Domingo (SDQ)
* Santiago (STI)"

The link to do this is here:

JetBlue:Travel Info:Haiti Relief

Gregg

In this case my opinion is that it is not fair.

If after these events people are concerned about their life and do not want to risk it why they are not allowed to cancel their trip to DR at all without paying a penalty for it?!

When they booked they were thinking that it was a safe place, now they do not think this way.
Unfair!

Now they won`t be able to afford to go even to Mexico and have to stay at home.

Anyway thank you everybody for you input and advice.

God bless you and your families in these times!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

HB

WE, all of us expats & frequent visitors, need to nip this in the bud before it takes hold. The Min. of Tourism's statement is being met with skepticism. Please HB, write to the Washington Post, the NY Times etc. I've started with UK papers online, see here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/99783-cancelling-your-trip-yes-no-2.html#post824689

If we concentrate on media in our countries of origin, we'll have more credibility than the DR government.

Any Canadian expats prepared to write to Canadian newspapers?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
When they booked they were thinking that it was a safe place, now they do not think this way.
Unfair!

Now they won`t be able to afford to go even to Mexico and have to stay at home.

Anyway thank you everybody for you input and advice.

God bless you and your families in these times!

There is no reason to be afraid of traveling to the DR and depending on where in Mexico, the DR much safer than some Mexican cities...

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
This is ridiculous. A big group of us is coming down late Feb. for 2 weeks. We have no intention of cancelling. Where is all this comin' from? I intend to drink, eat travel and enjoy our vacation. The newbies accompanying us have no issues. I work too hard in construction in Northern Canada to let this be an issue considering it makes no sense.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Im assuming afgan wasnt being serious ! surely ?

A very strange accusation...

I can present tickets to be cancelled/refunded.

I am even willing to pay $20 paypal to a person who could help to refund them without penalty.

I honestly explained the reason for cancellation - people are afraid of further calamities, of deseases and of crime hike because of the earthquake. They are elderly and not Rambos.

This kind of questions and requests for advice/assistance are not allowed any longer?

I am confused...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A very strange accusation...

I can present tickets to be cancelled/refunded.

I am even willing to pay $20 paypal to a person who could help to refund them without penalty.

I honestly explained the reason for cancellation - people are afraid of further calamities, of deseases and of crime hike because of the earthquake. They are elderly and not Rambos.

This kind of questions and requests for advice/assistance are not allowed any longer?

I am confused...

Customers traveling from cities within the Dominican Republic should allow additional time to get to the airport because of possible road closures caused by the earthquake in neighboring Haiti. At this time, JetBlue flights to/from the Dominican Republic (POP, STI, SDQ) are operating as scheduled. Be sure to check the status of your flight online before leaving for the airport.

If your travel plans include one of the following airports, and you would like to make a change to a new flight without fee or fare difference, please click the link below. Customers traveling January 17 through January 31 may move to a new flight between the same cities, that departs anytime between now and February 5. Changes must be made prior to your originally scheduled departure.
  • Puerto Plata (POP)
  • Santo Domingo (SDQ)
  • Santiago (STI)
Have you tried calling JetBlue, or are you depending on a bunch of know it all cyber-hermits to have the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.