Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: where is all the international aid money going?

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default where is all the international aid money going?

    it seems like around $1 billion USD is being raised for Haiti for groups like the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, etc. The US military is in there getting things working.

    yet ladybird can fill a truck and take it into Haiti and it seems to be adding value -- and desperately needed? i know a guy from santiago who seems to be doing the same.

    what am i missing? are these international organizations in haiti actually helping? where is all the money going?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think most of the supplies are still at the airport and docks while the logistics of distributing the aid is worked out. I think you will see most of the relief supplies being doled out within the next week as the streets are cleared and a secure system of distribution is implemented.

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    I think most of the supplies are still at the airport and docks while the logistics of distributing the aid is worked out. I think you will see most of the relief supplies being doled out within the next week as the streets are cleared and a secure system of distribution is implemented.
    And after thousands had already died of hunger and thirst already.

  4. #4
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    it seems like around $1 billion USD is being raised for Haiti for groups like the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, etc. The US military is in there getting things working.

    yet ladybird can fill a truck and take it into Haiti and it seems to be adding value -- and desperately needed? i know a guy from santiago who seems to be doing the same.

    what am i missing? are these international organizations in haiti actually helping? where is all the money going?
    I'm sorry but I'm a show me type guy. What proof do we have that any small group has been able to get past the boarder? I have reports, not proof, that others with aid have been stopped.

    Reports that the roads from the D.R. to Haiti are backed up for miles. CNN and other reports. But I'm not their and don't know but tend to believe them more in these reports then most DR1 here say from people that are not their.

    I know that others on DR1 have said that they have trucks going to Haiti but I have not heard them report back on IF they did. If they could not get past the boarder, why and what did they do?

    More important.. IF they DID get past the boarder, how and where did they go?

    Ringo

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ExtremeR,

    You seem to be saying that not everything that could have been done was done. Would you please substantiate your accusations.

    It is not as if everything was in place before hand. Obviously people have died. That is the definition of a disaster, is it not?

    Those who have responded to this disaster have not caused any deaths, and they have prevented many.

    And what have you done besides trying to find fault, if you don't mind my asking??

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    ExtremeR,

    You seem to be saying that not everything that could have been done was done. Would you please substantiate your accusations.

    It is not as if everything was in place before hand. Obviously people have died. That is the definition of a disaster, is it not?

    Those who have responded to this disaster have not caused any deaths, and they have prevented many.

    And what have you done besides trying to find fault, if you don't mind my asking??
    There have been several reports that the logjam of aid starts at the PaP airport, Anderson Cooper spent 2 hours last night denouncing this while he has seen people getting desperate by the lack of water, food, shelter and medicine. He particularly denounced the unwillingness to clear a Chilean and French aircrafts full of doctors and medical equipment to land giving forcing them to land in the DR while they are giving priority to American airplanes carrying healthy orphans to the US. This has lead to preventable deaths all over Haiti.

    What have I done you ask?? I'm in Las Vegas so obviously I'm limited to sending money to my mother's church relief efforts and the Supreme Court relief effort in form of food, water and medicines wrapped in boxes which will arrive to Haiti way sooner than sending my money to the American Red Cross and their huge overhead.

    I was not obligated to answer that question but I did, now if you are so kind to answer me too? What have you done catcherintherye?

  7. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have donated money, food and clothing, and I have refrained from making snap and unsubstantiated judgments of those who are actually in Haiti giving aid.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,067
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aid has been sent through Dajabon and Comendador and by sea from Pedernales. It is gettin There

    HB

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    I have donated money, food and clothing, and I have refrained from making snap and unsubstantiated judgments of those who are actually in Haiti giving aid.
    That you don't like your US to be bashed because of their inefficient way to handle things in this disaster is one thing. France have already sent a complain to the US embassy because of that, so is not only me.

    That people die because of those poor decisions is another thing that should trump whether or not you may feel hurt by my "snap and unsubstantiated judgments" of them.

    It is clear that help being sent from the DR right now is being more helpful to the Haitians than the huge amount of money people (with their best intentions) has donated to these international groups as the OP stated.

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As I tried to indicate in the other thread, there is no way for South Comm. to win in this situation. If they had landed the Dr's. and not flew the kids out there would have been 15 other aid groups on their ass for not taking care of the future of Haiti.

    I still say if anyone else wants the the job I have yet to see them step forward, all any one wants to do is bitch. Venezuela, France Anderson Cooper, etc.

    Maybe they should just start doing air drops? with no security. that should look good on TV. Due to people not moving out of the way of large heavy objects falling from the sky.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •