Poultry Hatcheries

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
I am looking for address and phone number of poultry hatcheries in the DR. I am considering buying young chicks from the DR to send to a contact in Haiti. I 've contacted a few poultry farms in the U.S, but I am trying to minimize stressing the chicks by shortening their travel and not to mention lessening my shipping cost.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Nice idea and very good intentions, but it may be premature. What will the chicks eat after arrival? Not much grain available for feed, and grain (mainly rice and wheat) is one of Haiti's main imports. There are other feed alternatives, but I don't know what is available to Haitian farmers.

Chicken meat is also one of Haiti's main imports. There is a big egg market in Dajabon also.

Here is the 2007 FAO data on primary imports to Haiti:
FAOSTAT

A better trial approach may be to use the border market in Dajab?n to sell chicks (rather than giving them away), and the Haitian entrepreneurs there will determine if this is a good approach. They will buy chicks if they think people in their marketplace will then be able to buy and raise them in Haiti. Additional motivation to succeed for all, if they have a stake in the venture. Let the marketplace determine if your idea will fly, or if a different approach may be needed.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Yep, you're right. I didn't catch that.

How about calling these folks (sorry, but maybe someone in Santiago can come up with a phone number):

El presidente Jos? L?pez of de la Asociaci?n de Criadores de Pollos del Norte ( ASOPOLLON)= the Association of Poultry Producers of the North (Asopollon),in Santiago.