My first (hopefully last) car acident

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there it is. five years of driving in this crazy country and PUM! a wreck with a concho car. a crazy concho driver, too, but at least he wasn't aggressive and mean!

the accident was my fault (oo, i admit it!) because i missed one of those few stop signs you actually have to stop for and rammed right into the side of crazy concho. luckily no one was hurt.

now, here's the killer. the car belonged to someone else. who didn't want us to go to the police. hmmm. sadly, our bank account was just a little too low today to give him the 20Gs he wanted out of pocket and we headed, per his suggestion, to the Casa De Conductor. DR1 friends, REGISTER YOUR CARS WITH THE CDC. it could save you a huge headache. unfortunately we aren't registered and neither was the other car.

off to the fortaleza we go. only to find out buddy - a conscientious concho driver - has no insurance and no liscence. Sure, he's got the papers, but they are both like 2 years vencidos.

today's a holiday, so tomorrow we take the sworn statement to get legalize and to insurance. we got to drive my wreck home, but he got the lovely priveledge of leaving his behind until he gets his sh*t together.

the amets were actually quite friendly and helpful, and besides the nutbag ladies who wanted me to take them to HOMS (and when i offered to take them to cabral y baez left the scene) t was not the terrible, horrible experince many would have had me believe.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
They told us at the CDC that we had to actually ASK our insurance coverage to give that to us, it's not automatic. And it would have saved the headache of running all over town to get things done. They take care of everything in one spot, as opposed to the AMET - you've gotta go to the fort and make the declarations, wait til they find a photocopier, then get legalized, pay the tax (in a different place altogether), take it to insurance, etc... but apparently in the CDC they take care of everything.

i, too, imagine things would be different if there had been injuries. thank god there weren't I was with three kids in the backseat.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Sorry to hear about your accident Melanie. Glad to hear you and the kids are ok!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The way I am reading this is La Teacher did not have Casa de conductor on her policy.
There fore she needs to get it added, no the coverage is not automatic. its extra.

If it shows on your policy you should be good to go

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
exactly. that's the advice!

pay for the casa de conductor! it will save you lots of trouble!

On the recommendation of a close friend, we were talking of this only the other day - can you give some indication of the additional cost for casa de conductor, please?

Feb 7, 2007
I have just checked my Banreservas car insurance I have via Franco & Accra (Thanks, Robert!) and Casa de Conductor is listed at RD$ 925 per year as the itemized cost on my insurance policy.

I also have free unlimited assistance from Caribe Asistencia, and I have not yet changed a flat tire myself since I have this insurance (why sweat, anyway).