Dominican Hipocracy wiith Haiti's delema

Nov 25, 2008
What's with all this Hipocracy with the Haiti's Earthquake, all of a sudden they are according to national news "nuestro hermanos"[our brothers]
Haiti was never consider family to the Dominican Republic; they were always a problem with panhandlers, illegal work status.....
Within a couple of years I would like to see if "our brothers" slogan will still be used when addressing our neighbors.

Honestly how can they be consider our brothers when a Haitian women gives birth in a Dominican hospital and CANT get a Dominican birth certificate.
I wish someone would address this issue

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What's with all this Hipocracy with the Haiti's Earthquake, all of a sudden they are according to national news "nuestro hermanos"[our brothers]
Haiti was never consider family to the Dominican Republic; they were always a problem with panhandlers, illegal work status.....
Within a couple of years I would like to see if "our brothers" slogan will still be used when addressing our neighbors.

Well apparently to you going backward is better.

Honestly how can they be consider our brothers when a Haitian women gives birth in a Dominican hospital and CANT get a Dominican birth certificate.

Why don't you ask the Haitian gov't why their citizens can't have dual citizenship? Also, with no real deterent to the flood of immigration here all we need is an incentive to triple the amount of illegal immigrants. You want to see friction and strife? Then again I believe many don't care if blood is spilt - because most of the people with opinions like that do not live here.

BTW, there is a plan in place here in the DR for Haitian children here to get birth certificates - it has been discussed on this forum and I even know a Dominican Haitian pastor who processes the paperwork.

Jan 3, 2003
The Dominicans and the Haitians have a common link which is Africa.

In that sense, both groups are brothers BUT like in all families especially ones with different fathers, there will always be CONFLICT.

There are so many Haitians in the DR that eventually they will mix with the Dominican populace and become Dominicans themselves.

Sociological paradigm- Proximity trumps ideology.

Last edited:

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009

Does this change in politics upset you? I believe the world's social behavior is going through a evolutionary era in tolerance. I can definitely appreciate this change.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It never ceases to fascinate me how often people "forget" to include the words illegal immigrants where such words belong. Its understandable that injecting those words changes the entire argument, but it has to be included if we are going to treat this issue with any sincerity. :tired:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey...it's like any family. I may fight with my brother and be mad at him, but if a tragedy happened to him I would be the first one to be by his side. Same thing if someone from a different family wanted to fight my brother I would definitely stand with him...

Haiti is that one brother to The DR...you know the one we all have who doesn't live up to his potential and we have to bail him out of all kinds of troubles all the time, so we get tired of it and cuss him out and wish we could move away from him, etc...but when he needs us guess who's going to be the first one helping him yet again

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Hey...it's like any family. I may fight with my brother and be mad at him, but if a tragedy happened to him I would be the first one to be by his side. Same thing if someone from a different family wanted to fight my brother I would definitely stand with him...

Haiti is that one brother to The DR...you know the one we all have who doesn't live up to his potential and we have to bail him out of all kinds of troubles all the time, so we get tired of it and cuss him out and wish we could move away from him, etc...but when he needs us guess who's going to be the first one helping him yet again

Its like that morenito brother you're ashamed of that they make do all the shores and hide whenever anyone comes to visit. hehe

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Helping Haitians is in vogue for many Dominicans right now.

The brotherly love will not last, based on what I know about many Dominicans and past relationships.

Of course you will always have that group of Dominicans that is doing the right thing and understand the benefits of a better Haiti, but that group is very small.

Too many Dominicans have enough of their own problems to worry about, that will always be a priority before giving to their Haitian "brothers".

Philanthropy of any kind is almost non-exisient here and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Last edited:

Richie

Mar 30, 2005
It never ceases to fascinate me how often people "forget" to include the words illegal immigrants where such words belong. Its understandable that injecting those words changes the entire argument, but it has to be included if we are going to treat this issue with any sincerity. :tired:

Out of interest, can you confirm if a Haitian woman with legal residency would be able to obtain a birth certificate for any child born in DR? (if not your argument would appear rather spurious). In either case, why blame the child for what you appear to see as the sins of the father (or mother)?

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Its a crude analogy...

Can you explain how wishing you can hate your sibling and hiding/treating him/her like a "modern slave" because he/she is darker, a crude analogy!

Where exactly are the similarities, or maybe I just have a different definition of what an analogy is.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Can you explain how wishing you can hate your sibling and hiding/treating him/her like a "modern slave" because he/she is darker, a crude analogy!

Where exactly are the similarities, or maybe I just have a different definition of what an analogy is.

All right don't get your panties in a bunch now...I got what Bilijou was trying to say. We Dominicans are not the most politically correct people in the world.

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
All right don't get your panties in a bunch now...I got what Bilijou was trying to say. We Dominicans are not the most politically correct people in the world.

Well gee, I be damned! Thank you for explaining so fully! :tired:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

One of the nice things about living here you can insult people for being stupid and racist.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Helping Haitians is in vogue for many Dominicans right now.

Philanthropy of any kind is almost non-exisient here and that is not going to change anytime soon.

This is pretty interesting, i had forgotten about that. the dominicans have been extra impressive lately, who knows, maybe it will help transform the country. (we can hope!)