ISP self destructs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We haven't had internet connection for a week now. Our provider was Bectel, through a wireless antenna. Service was good until late last year, but we had an 8 day outage over new year and now this. Since Monday neither the local t?cnico nor the customer service people in their SD office (previously quite responsive) have been picking up the phones.

This leads us to believe that they have ceased to function, but like a dying radio signal from a spaceship adrift in space, we get a few minutes of connection now and then.

Is anyone else affected? Does anyone actually know what has happened to Bec Tel?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Robert - we were calling a different number so will try that one on Monday. I've sent an e-mail to that address and will let you know if I get any sort of reply.

Their website (bec-tel.com) doesn't load, which adds to my suspicion that they've gone belly-up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - e-mail message bounced back.

Local technician/representative didn't pick up the phone or return my call yesterday. I left him a message asking him to confirm whether or not the company is still operating. No reply as yet.

We're waiting for long weekend to be over so I can call the number Robert posted on Tuesday, and Mr C may pay them a personal visit if he goes to the capital this week.

We paid three months in advance as a deposit and have barely had a month's service since the beginning of December. That and having to spend money to go online - average RD$150 per day means we are seriously out of pocket.

Next phase - alternatives. Codetel still haven't finished installing lines to our area so no chance of their landline+broadband for at least a few weeks. Pib is trying out Claro's internet movil and that might have to do for now.

Feb 7, 2007
Next phase - alternatives. Codetel still haven't finished installing lines to our area so no chance of their landline+broadband for at least a few weeks. Pib is trying out Claro's internet movil and that might have to do for now.

You're in Bavaro, right?

- WiMax from Tricom
- Spielcom (cable TV) Internet
- Silver Cable (cable TV) Internet

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bectel has shut down as of december 09
Any more information, Borg? I managed to get through to the SD office on Tuesday, so the receptionist was still there at least. She put me on hold/took my details but I never got to speak to anyone else.

rubio_higuey said:
You're in Bavaro, right?

- WiMax from Tricom
- Spielcom (cable TV) Internet
- Silver Cable (cable TV) Internet
Thanks - for the time being I've got Claro's Internet Movil for my laptop which is working really well, but we haven't worked out how to share with the other 2 laptops in the house. Any advice welcome.:)

FWIW I made a complaint to Indotel about Bec-Tel.

Feb 7, 2007
Thanks - for the time being I've got Claro's Internet Movil for my laptop which is working really well, but we haven't worked out how to share with the other 2 laptops in the house. Any advice welcome.:)

Do you have a router?

Plug CAT5 (ethernet) cable into your laptop's Ethernet port (on your Claro receiving laptop) and connect to "Internet") port on your router. Turn the router on. Bridge connections (depending on your OS, the steps will vary)

XP: Setting Up Network Bridge in Windows XP
Vista: Bridge Network Connections In Vista ~ IT Professionals
In both cases, you will bridge your Claro connection (a new connection type in your Networks area should have been created after you installed Claro drivers) and LAN (wired) connection.

Connect your other computers to the router as you did before.
One thing, though: Your Claro-receiving laptop will have to be turned on for the other computers to be able receive Internet connection.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Any more information, Borg? I managed to get through to the SD office on Tuesday, so the receptionist was still there at least. She put me on hold/took my details but I never got to speak to anyone else.

FWIW I made a complaint to Indotel about Bec-Tel.
If the other computers have wifi, I believe you can check the "share this connection" box on the Movil network connection area in the computer with the Movil. There are a couple of older threads here with the info.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you CB and Rubio.

We have Max OSX 10.5.8. Does anyone know how to do this on a Mac?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I can recommend TriComm's WiMAX service. I'm in Pueblo Bavaro and have had it since May of last year. Service has been very reliable with just a couple of outages... only one that lasted more than a few hours. Not sure how competitive they are in terms of price but since I do my work over the Internet I need as much bandwidth as I can get and wasn't too concerned about the cost. I'm paying about US$130/month for 1.5 Mbps service. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For the last few days there has been a connection, not 24/7 but most of the time.

So is or is not Bec-Tel still in existence despite everything? Just out of curiosity - we are happy with our new arrangement.