Culture and so on?

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I'm a little confused. I have a few girlfriends coming out for a few weeks, never been here before and are asking me about a culture to the country, a real Dominican experience. I am not sure what that is, I haven't really seen any culture as such, anything for tourists isn't really cultural is it, it is just a selling point.
Apart from distorted music, repeated constantly and people drinking excessively and lots of dancing I'm not sure if this country has any culture that I have witnessed or know about.
People just get on with stuff and nothing really exciting ever happens, just level living with the occasional hangover, am I missing something?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
sancocho, bachata, dominos, going to the beach, its all pretty dominican.. you won't find this style in other countries.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
am I missing something?

Yes. Museums which exhibit the rich & troubled history of the DR, art (Yoryi Morel, C?ndido Bid? etc), sculpture, photographic exhibitions as a social/political commentary, theatre, dance as an art form, crafts, folklore, religious practices etc etc

Here is the Ministry of Culture's website:
Secretar?a de Estado de Cultura

Probably best not to judge until you have really studied the subject.

pechugitzzz

Oct 16, 2009
Nosotros los Dominicanos tenemos una cultura hermosa. Our music, our food, nuestras costumbres y creencias are unique and you wont find a culture like us anywhere else.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Probably best not to judge until you have really studied the subject.

Don't get me wrong, I am not judging anything, I was pointing out what I see on a daily basis and asking what else is out there. Places of interest, people of interest etc. No need for negative fingers on this thread, thankyou!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Don't get me wrong, I am not judging anything, I was pointing out what I see on a daily basis and asking what else is out there. Places of interest, people of interest etc. No need for negative fingers on this thread, thankyou!

Indeed there is no need for negative fingers. Would you care to reword your original post?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What do you consider "culture"? If you're looking for Opera, classical music, art museums, etc...you'll be severely disappointed. Granted there's some of that in the larger cities, but it is not Rome or Vienna and we like it that way.

If on the other hand you open your mind and understand that culture is a very vague concept and that culture is everywhere around you. Even run drinking and Bachata dancing IS culture.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Indeed there is no need for negative fingers. Would you care to reword your original post?

What on earth are you talking about, there is nothing wrong with my original post, it is what I witness every day everywhere here.
The fact that you ask me to reword it shows clearly that you are trying your best to misunderstand my points and thoughts.

I'm not getting the usual childish banter with anyone on this, it is purely an observation and request for points of interest, no big debate intended.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
What do you consider "culture"? If you're looking for Opera, classical music, art museums, etc...you'll be severely disappointed. Granted there's some of that in the larger cities, but it is not Rome or Vienna and we like it that way.

If on the other hand you open your mind and understand that culture is a very vague concept and that culture is everywhere around you. Even run drinking and Bachata dancing IS culture.

that is exactly not what I'm talking about, points of interest will do. I am searching and it look like the tourist trackmay be the only option for interesting, fun days out.
thanks

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
where in the DR are you?, that may help people give you some help on where to go with your friends

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
The only thing Dominican of the above is Bachata, the rest you'll find anywhere else in Latin America. Colmadones I haven't seen anywhere else though except here.

To some extent you are right. But Jamaican dominoes are different from Dominican dominoes, sancocho is different in PR.... and so on. Everyone puts a different spin on things.

DRNED- "Nothing really ever exciting happens"? Wow! I have sadly left the DR and miss the excitement every day! Even something as simple as getting on a bus is filled with music, stories and color- I think that's culture at its best.

Where will you be going? For "culture" as I think you mean it, Santo Domingo is great. There are museums- not of European standards, but museums nonetheless. I, for one, was greatly impressed by the Bienal at the Plaza de la Cultura. And I hope i don't need to point out all the great stuff in the Zona Colonial!!

I had two friends visit. One had never been to a developing country. She said she loved having a beer at a colmado, shopping in a non-tourist market (for that night's dinner), and a trip to Juan Dolio. I think what might be commonplace to you might be very exciting to someone who has never been here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
where in the DR are you?, that may help people give you some help on where to go with your friends

The website link I provided for DRNED gives her all the Museums, Art Galleries etc in SD, all she has to do is click on each one for example:
Secretar?a de Estado de Cultura

phone numbers, addresses etc all there. Just a few are:
Museo Nacional de Historia y Geograf?a
Museo Nacional del Hombre Dominicano
Museo Nacional de Arte Moderno
Museo Nacional de las Casas Reales
Museo Faro a Colon
Museo de la Familia Dominicana, Casa de Tostado
Museo de las Atarazanas Reales
Museo Alc?zar de Col?n

DRNED, I am not trying my best to misunderstand you. I am trying to think how a Dominican might see terminology such as 'distorted music, repeated constantly and people drinking excessively' because understanding that is part of the culture too. Your first paragraph was fine, I had reservations about the second but if you can't see why, then there's nothing to discuss. I hope your friends have a great time.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
surely you would expect Dominicans to be insulted by the way you worded your original post ?

No it is Dominicans that tell me the country has little culture or points of great interest, I wouldn't be so rash to judge as I haven't seen the entire country by any stretch of the imagination.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
DRNED- "Nothing really ever exciting happens"? Wow! I have sadly left the DR and miss the excitement every day! Even something as simple as getting on a bus is filled with music, stories and color- I think that's culture at its best.

Where will you be going? For "culture" as I think you mean it, Santo Domingo is great. There are museums- not of European standards, but museums nonetheless. I, for one, was greatly impressed by the Bienal at the Plaza de la Cultura. And I hope i don't need to point out all the great stuff in the Zona Colonial!!

I had two friends visit. One had never been to a developing country. She said she loved having a beer at a colmado, shopping in a non-tourist market (for that night's dinner), and a trip to Juan Dolio. I think what might be commonplace to you might be very exciting to someone who has never been here.

I live in Santo Domingo and so getting out of the city is going to be important for me. Yes maybe you are right, just being around the city might be a buzz for them and I have just become used to the way things are, a beer and dance in the Colmado, invited to dinner on a daily basis etc etc. Have I really become so dull I can't even think of something unusual to do with my friends. We are all rock climbers and love outdoor stuff, skydiving, maybe even some canyoning caving, I dunno. We are not permtted to skydive here, and I expect climbing will be out of the question as far as the heat goes.
Guess I'd like the natives to entertain rather than what I can offer is my point, I think. Would like to show them something original and different.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm a little confused. I have a few girlfriends coming out for a few weeks, never been here before and are asking me about a culture to the country, a real Dominican experience. I am not sure what that is, I haven't really seen any culture as such, anything for tourists isn't really cultural is it, it is just a selling point.
Apart from distorted music, repeated constantly and people drinking excessively and lots of dancing I'm not sure if this country has any culture that I have witnessed or know about.
People just get on with stuff and nothing really exciting ever happens, just level living with the occasional hangover, am I missing something?

Dear confused, I'm not sure if you are as abrasive in real life as you come across in the written word. Dominicans have a unique culture that is a blend of African, Spanish, European, and Indian with the Spanish being the strongest, with influence from the other three. There are unique foods, art, and music that originated in the DR. Perhaps if you research the country that you currently reside in you would realize the unique and rich history and vibrant culture you are surrounded by.
://www.everyculture.com/Cr-Ga/Dominican-Republic.html
You know your friends and what they are interested in ; In Santo Domingo there are numerous historical site, beautiful jewelry, Botanical gardens, interesting architecture, or you could head to the church in Higuey, Cigar factories....etc. Or you could take them all to Boca Chica and have a strong young Dominican inject some culture in to them.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
DRNED, I am not trying my best to misunderstand you. I am trying to think how a Dominican might see terminology such as 'distorted music, repeated constantly and people drinking excessively' because understanding that is part of the culture too. Your first paragraph was fine, I had reservations about the second but if you can't see why, then there's nothing to discuss. I hope your friends have a great time.

Thanks for all the info Lambada. I am sorry if I offend but I see nothing wrong in saying what I see. In conversation with Dominicans they tend to speak the same concerns or opinions as I have stated. Again, I am sorry to offend, not my intention at all.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I live in Santo Domingo and so getting out of the city is going to be important for me. Yes maybe you are right, just being around the city might be a buzz for them and I have just become used to the way things are, a beer and dance in the Colmado, invited to dinner on a daily basis etc etc. Have I really become so dull I can't even think of something unusual to do with my friends. We are all rock climbers and love outdoor stuff, skydiving, maybe even some canyoning caving, I dunno. We are not permtted to skydive here, and I expect climbing will be out of the question as far as the heat goes.
Guess I'd like the natives to entertain rather than what I can offer is my point, I think. Would like to show them something original and different.

I think a walk around the ZC will be nice. Set out by foot from Gazcue, stopped along a few colmados. Go through the mercado modelo on the way to the ZC. Get some fresh agua de coco along the way. See the amazing architecture and history of the ZC. If you are in town on a Sunday, take them to see Grupo Bonye at the Franciscan ruins. Really, the DR1 guide has some great suggestions.