english girl/spanish speaker... looking for a job anywhere in the dr....ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evamp05

Jan 16, 2010
Hey guys,

i am looking to move to dr in july this year.. but obviously before i move over i would like to have a job or atleast afew interviews lined up... i know the wages are very low there and that is not that much ofa big issue... i would prefer to work for rubbish money and be out there in the community than be stuck at home spending all my savings... i am 22 years old.. i am english and i speak fluent spanish... i currently work for a well known holiday company as a holiday guide and have excellent customer services skills... i have lived overseas for 6 years now and can adapt to several situations and am very open minded... (within limits)!! so if anyone could please fire any suggestions at me.. maybe the best places where i can start looking on my job search? or even maybe if anyone is looking to employ someone such as myself? i can do on the phone interviews and forward my cv, no problem. Thankyou so much... i hope that you guys can help point me in the right direction xx

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. Try getting work as a holiday guide here - english, US or canadian companies
2. teacher in a private school
3. call centre

All have these have been discussed on threads here before so check out the search function and you will get loads of addresses and info to start you off

Matilda

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Give these a call, they have been looking for English teachers lately. NAES 809-258-7838 or 829-441 1615.

Healthmeds are looking for marketers, basic is $4.500 p/w plus $300 comms. 809-699 4100 free food and transport.

I can defo get you a job with a company around the corner from me, but I will have to do this privately off the board the pay is up to $28,000 per month depending on how you structure your weekly shift pattern, and that is up to you. 3 days to 6 days, whatever you prefer to work. Free transport.

There is loads of work for English speakers, but you need to be prepared to live beyond your means for the first 6 months. A better offer should come along if you network well enough, it is just waiting until it happens.

The medical college up the road is taking on English teachers at the moment, the money is reasonably good for here.
American Dominican college here is always looking, walk in off the street and you might well get offered a placement, my neighbour did this and has proven successful.

You have to force work here, it won't come to you and you won't get a job without being here. No one will give you a second thought until you are i the country and ready to go. People hire one day and expect you there the next.

Good luck.

evamp05

Jan 16, 2010
why dont you ask for a transfer

i have thought about this... but unfortunately i will have to wait until next january to start if this was so ... and i wish to move over before this.. and as there are so many people requesting such destinations its just not guaranteed.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Butcher's Lass

... looking for a job anywhere in the dr...

Anywhere?
Don't you want to be near your friend, the butcher in Hig?ey? :cheeky:

Hig?ey is good, with the hotels of Punta Cana so near... :bunny:
Your future is bright, my crystal ball says.

donP

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
can you pick up 50$ or pounds a week extra where you are? or give up something that will put an extra 40 - 50 a week in your pocket? that's what you're going to make here, so, much better to do a little overtime where you are now, save it. come here and do nothing, then if something like a "job" rears it's ugly head, you can take it or leave it.....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so no university degree and no direction in career back home. If you can't make it back home, chances are you will have even harder time in DR. No good jobs to begun with unless you make a job for yourself. I came here with a plan, I was an engineer but I had decided to study chiropractic and come with s kill that many need. Just because you speak spanish and english doesn't mean much. Many dominicans speak 4 languages and still out of work. I have created my own work where there is a demand for my skill. Now I speak spanish well but even then, with limited competition in my field, I struggled for 10 yrs. I have finally made it to a point in my field where I can be proud of myself. Remember, it took 10 yrs to get this far and I came hjere with 3 college degrees and a life worth of experience. Seems like you just want to test new waters just because you are bored back home. If you are a young girl then most likely you will fall into the same trap as many others have. You too will find a loser dominican guy and fall in love with him. Then we would have to read your 100 posts on how you met his family and how they all treated you like their daughter and how you found more happiness and love in a coconut shack than when you were living in 1st world. We have heard it all and have seen it all. You will not be the first or the last person to be asking these questions here.
My advice is to go to college get a skill in a field which had a demand. Invest in yourself because then and when you are anywhere, your skill will lead you to a new life with abundant opportunities. I am in a position where I can go to any country and within a few years, I can become upper middle class with little effort.
So build yourself up and then follow your dream. Remember, poverty sucks and if you are poor in DR, then poverty + mosquitoes+ 8 hr blackouts

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so no university degree and no direction in career back home. If you can't make it back home, chances are you will have even harder time in DR. No good jobs to begun with unless you make a job for yourself. I came here with a plan, I was an engineer but I had decided to study chiropractic and come with s kill that many need. Just because you speak spanish and english doesn't mean much. Many dominicans speak 4 languages and still out of work. I have created my own work where there is a demand for my skill. Now I speak spanish well but even then, with limited competition in my field, I struggled for 10 yrs. I have finally made it to a point in my field where I can be proud of myself. Remember, it took 10 yrs to get this far and I came hjere with 3 college degrees and a life worth of experience. Seems like you just want to test new waters just because you are bored back home. If you are a young girl then most likely you will fall into the same trap as many others have. You too will find a loser dominican guy and fall in love with him. Then we would have to read your 100 posts on how you met his family and how they all treated you like their daughter and how you found more happiness and love in a coconut shack than when you were living in 1st world. We have heard it all and have seen it all. You will not be the first or the last person to be asking these questions here.
My advice is to go to college get a skill in a field which had a demand. Invest in yourself because then and when you are anywhere, your skill will lead you to a new life with abundant opportunities. I am in a position where I can go to any country and within a few years, I can become upper middle class with little effort.
So build yourself up and then follow your dream. Remember, poverty sucks and if you are poor in DR, then poverty + mosquitoes+ 8 hr blackouts

I don't know how the top post got posted. In the middle of writing it, I hit a wrong key and my post disappeared. I gave up, closed the pc and went to sleep. Now I see its posted. yikexxxxx. do I have a ghost in my pc?
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To the OP-don't expect anyone to help you when all you want to do is move to the DR to be with a sanky.

You have no idea what you're getting into. You will feel like Indiana Jones when he was trapped in the tunnel and was running from the huge boulder that was out to run him over.

Except in the DR there will be no director to yell "CUT!!!" just before you get flattened. And you want to move there with little to no money or marketable skills...:ermm:

If you're moving there to be with a meat man, the one who's going to get butchered is YOU.

Last edited:

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I really don't agree with any of the posts here. You're only 22 and you have lot's of time to go to College or University. Take a few years to travel and find yourself. Work along the way to fill your travel kitty and keep all options open. Don't fall in love or committ yourself to one person. Life is too short to get into debt with school and a mortgage. Have some fun first. The DR is great and you'll have a blast visiting it for a few years.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I really don't agree with any of the posts here. You're only 22 and you have lot's of time to go to College or University. Take a few years to travel and find yourself. Work along the way to fill your travel kitty and keep all options open. Don't fall in love or committ yourself to one person. Life is too short to get into debt with school and a mortgage. Have some fun first. The DR is great and you'll have a blast visiting it for a few years.

problem is, some people have no idea how to have fun. I have had guys call me crying how they got their maid pregnant and how she is having his baby. Then guys having kids with hookers and ghetto girls who already have 2 kids from 2 different men. Then you have girls (almost all) falling for servant/labor class guys and getting pregnant by them. These people are blind and a danger to themselves. Governments should not grant them passports to travel. These people only get into trouble, then in best case scenario, import chopos/chopas to their home country. No wonder Omega is such a big hit in europe. Hehehehe and you were all afraid of an Islamic invasion in western countries. The chopo invasion is almost half way there.
AZB

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
everything AZB said is so so true and sadly funny. but, somehow, life still goes on. i think in this scenario, OP is only 22, female, looking for work, she'll have a helluva story to tell someday. i don't see where she has any money so not a lot to lose. i fugure a new boyfriend in less than a week. i feel for those single women that come here, maybe a little older wiser, men too, and get taken for thousands of dollars, life savings gone, etc. or older couples that may come down here and get swindled of thousands or more in a real estate deal. or those that start businesses and now the employee of 5 weeks is pregnant and wants a month off paid. when it comes right down to it, nobody is "safe" in this country, not even dominicans, this place is a giant soap opera action movie rolled in one. is the Jaragua still for sale?

evamp05

Jan 16, 2010
problem is, some people have no idea how to have fun. These people are blind and a danger to themselves. Governments should not grant them passports to travel. These people only get into trouble, then in best case scenario, import chopos/chopas to their home country. AZB

i can see where you are coming from in some ways... but good ness me... i have never seen some one talk so much rubbish... i think you need to ask yourself why you are actually living in dr firstly and secondly i think you need to look far far far back to when you were younger and when you actually had drive.. yes i want to move over to try and see what happens with a domincan guy... and yes im young... also yes your? right i didnt go to university... but where do you get the idea from that i dont know what i want to do? and what makes you think that only if you have 10 million batchelors degrees that gives YOU the right to travel.. personally i think you?re stuck up you?re own arse... and if you don?t have any suggestions on where there is any possible opppurtunities of work then why write on this page? if you?re negative and think that people like me don?t have the right to travel then why say anything? get a grip,.,.. and yea maybe its taken you 10 years and ow you can go anywhere in the world as you say.. but what do you think gives YOU the right to a passport if you have such a negatiev attitude towards life?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i can see where you are coming from in some ways... but good ness me... i have never seen some one talk so much rubbish... i think you need to ask yourself why you are actually living in dr firstly and secondly i think you need to look far far far back to when you were younger and when you actually had drive.. yes i want to move over to try and see what happens with a domincan guy... and yes im young... also yes your? right i didnt go to university... but where do you get the idea from that i dont know what i want to do? and what makes you think that only if you have 10 million batchelors degrees that gives YOU the right to travel.. personally i think you?re stuck up you?re own arse... and if you don?t have any suggestions on where there is any possible opppurtunities of work then why write on this page? if you?re negative and think that people like me don?t have the right to travel then why say anything? get a grip,.,.. and yea maybe its taken you 10 years and ow you can go anywhere in the world as you say.. but what do you think gives YOU the right to a passport if you have such a negatiev attitude towards life?

You too shall learn the way of the Jedi!!!!!!!!!:bored:

What, you cant find love in your hometown? Shame on you.

I root for the sanky this time.

GO SANKY, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Tamborista

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
evamp05, please do us all a favor and post your story of your DR experiences about 6 months after your arrival here. We all look forward to your reinvention of the wheel.

The great thing about youth is learning by experience. Some choose to learn by their own mistakes, and others sometimes choose to learn from other people's experiences. Wisdom is not repeating the mistakes you've learned.

I am not being negative - I am just reflecting on my own personal experiences.
Good luck, with whatever decision you choose to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.