Need ONE-WAY travel advice PLEASE....

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
Hi all, my name is Torrey.

My Provisional residence card should be ready for me around late February of this year. When I fly to the DR to sign and take my photo, I will have no need to come back to the U.S. as I will be sending my things out ahead of time and some friends of mine are allowing me to stay at their home until I secure an apartment for myself....

My problem is this, it seems that I will be forced to buy a ROUND TRIP ticket from American Airlines or whoever I choose to fly through, because pre-trip I don't have any residency in the DR.

Has anyone found a way to get around this when you moved to the DR or did everyone go back home a time or two after getting their PRC?

It would surely be cheaper to buy only a one-way ticket to the DR? If I have to buy the two-way, I will, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if their are any alternatives that the experienced ones on this forum may know about! Thank you for reading this...:bunny:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What was your residence status TOOBER_SDQ? Did they check to see if you were a DR resident or no? Do you think I will have problems without residency yet?

I was a non-resident of DR. I purchased the ticket online.

One time I was asked about a return and my response was that I lived in DR. Another time my response was that I intended to buy a return ticket in DR when I was sure of my return date. Both of these responses were adequate for me. I have made the trip one way many times, and only asked twice for a return ticket.

Things may have changed. Lets wait for more feedback.

You could also buy round trip refundable tickets and refund your return portion after you get to DR.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
over the past year i've used 1 way tickets maybe 6 times in and out of the DR without a problem

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We've used one ways to and back from Miami from AA and Delta out of Atlanta.
Once Delta said we might have a problem once we got here but nothing happened.
We've done this at POP and Santo Domingo airports.

Last edited:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i just had some problems with Delta. The only reason they let me through without my card was because my kids are dominican citizens. and like 4 years ago i had a problem with Continental where they forced me to buy the return trip ticket - I just got a full refundable one, and cancelled it once i got here.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
with all the airlines usign electic tickets these days all i've ever said to anyone at check in is to give them my 6 digit identifier code and an ID. i don't bother to print a ticket on my computer, just write the abcde7 on a scrap of paper. so if asked for a return on check in, just say that you're flying back with jet blue, spirit has no idea what's in jet blue's computer.........

Reactions: mike l

phillymami

Jul 24, 2009
I just returned from the DR last week. I bought a one way ticket online with delta in November because I was unsure of when I would be returning. I ended up buying my return flight with continental in late december.
I also travelled to the DR 3 other times last year and a couple times bought one way tickets first. Never was questioned about my residency or when I would be returning.

Buy the one way and save money :)

Reactions: mike l

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
I just returned from the DR last week. I bought a one way ticket online with delta in November because I was unsure of when I would be returning. I ended up buying my return flight with continental in late december.
I also travelled to the DR 3 other times last year and a couple times bought one way tickets first. Never was questioned about my residency or when I would be returning.

Buy the one way and save money :)

Thanks good advice, I also have to fly my dog over too! This is gonna be fun... :ermm:

Gotta do what I gotta do though.... It will pay off I'm sure.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Make sure you get your certificate for your four legged friend.

I would be interested to hear how flying the dog goes for you. We will bringing our beagle with us once we move.

Jan 17, 2009
I never had a problem buying a one-way ticket with American. However, I was asked to show a return ticket several times. Lucky me, those times that they did ask me, I had mileage tickets to other countries (from the DR) already purchased with dates that could be changed if I wanted.

My last few trips, with American new self-serve check-in, I had no problem. The person at the counter that got my suitcases didn't bother asking me. If I'm ever forced to buy a return ticket at the airport counter, I will ask for a fully refundable fare to return it as soon as I get to the DR.

I know a few people that JetBlue had them buy a return ticket at the airport.

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
Make sure you get your certificate for your four legged friend.

I would be interested to hear how flying the dog goes for you. We will bringing our beagle with us once we move.

Thanks I'm looking into what I need to do as far the paperwork for my dog, I will post the happenings and results for sure. I'm getting nervous about the move, but a good nervous. A good, "this is a huge, exciting and life-changing move, that I have always dreamed of" type of nervous...:D

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
I never had a problem buying a one-way ticket with American. However, I was asked to show a return ticket several times. Lucky me, those times that they did ask me, I had mileage tickets to other countries (from the DR) already purchased with dates that could be changed if I wanted.

My last few trips, with American new self-serve check-in, I had no problem. The person at the counter that got my suitcases didn't bother asking me. If I'm ever forced to buy a return ticket at the airport counter, I will ask for a fully refundable fare to return it as soon as I get to the DR.

I know a few people that JetBlue had them buy a return ticket at the airport.

Great advice, thank you!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Enforcement is sporadic on most airlines when checking in, as many people report not having any problem. but as long as it is technically required to have a return ticket to enter the DR as a non-citizen or resident, an oberservant airline employee is 100% within his or her right to ask that you purchase a retrun ticket or see proof of a return itinerary from another carrier in order to board the aircraft.

On the legacy carriers, (AA, Delta) you will almost certainly find that a one way fare will be the same price or more as a round trip deep discount fare. The lowest fares on these carriers are booked in fare codes that require round trip travel. This is not the case, however on airlines like JetBlue or Spirit, where the fare each way does not vary whether your itinerary is one way or round trip.