False Residencias

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't know if this refers to the same false residencias we heard about some 18 months ago, or if this is a new lot but El Nacional is reporting the firing of a nephew of the ex-director of Migracion and other staff associated with the provision of false residencias to Spanish, German, French, Chinese and Argentinian citizens, among others.
Investigan residencias falsificadas - ElNacional.com.do

Since there is no mention of the usual method (via an unethical lawyer or someone posing as a lawyer) it could be that these applicants applied in the usual way through Migracion. So, I'm wondering, do these people KNOW they have false residencias? The article says a Chinese citizen only found out he had a false one when he went to Migracion to renew his residency.

Just a heads up but it might explain some of the issues posters were posing recently.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remember the posters who SWORE they got theirs in a matter of a couple of weeks?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i got mine in a few weeks in 2001 and its been renewed every 2 years since then without a problem
Some were talking in like 10 days or less. From start to finish, not just the waiting from application submission.

I dunno. Seems very unlikely.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
So true Lambada and, Adrian this is not directed at you, if you keep renewing it through the same source you could just keep getting illegal cards.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
properly done paperwork (residencia, cedula, drivers license) are renewed via the official channels.

i've cut corners quite a bit and had no problems, including when i first arrived.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
if you keep renewing it through the same source you could just keep getting illegal cards.

Actually, no. Provided you're 'in the system' the renewals will be legit. even if the first one years ago was a corner cutter. The secret is knowing whether you're 'in the system' or not & that's the reason I wouldn't recommend new people cut corners. They won't know enough (or perhaps more importantly WHO) to know how to check. Plus, as the DR moves to a more online society, the goalposts on corner cutting move also. I have also successfully cut corners in the past because I felt able to live with the risk involved. But I wouldn't recommend it because things here are changing rapidly.

But the reason I posted the article from El Nacional was because it seems to me that those people mentioned as having received false residencias would have had no way of knowing because......what they were dealing with was a 'private enterprise' function operating from within Migracion itself. So they thought they were getting the same as everyone else. The options for combatting this sort of thing are extremely limited: high alertness, keep checking with others in the same process on the same day that your procedures are exactly the same, to the point of obsessionalism if necessary, and if in doubt wander into the Director's office (accidentally on purpose) and see if your card passes muster. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.