Re: Why all inclusive?

C

CES

For the past week I've followed this developing message thread. The many correspondents have presented arguments for and against the "All Inclusive" resort experience and how it relates to the DR and the tourists that choose to use the services of a tour operator/ packager. One contributor even went as far as to describing some of the "guests" that one might find at an "AI" resort.

This is my 'take' on the mega AI (owned by off shore intrests) situation in the DR. I have neither the time nor the inclination to research the facts to support what I'm about so say, but I have confidence in my 'gut' feeling and personal experiences.

For the benefit of those readers that aren't familiar with my personal information:
I first visited the DR for one month in Dec. 1966, the occasion was our honeymoon as I had just married "una Cibae?a" one of the Cibaos' 'best'. I should also say that some day we will return to the DR for something more than avacation. In the last 34 years we've (wife & two daughters) vacationed and lived (once) on the island.

I know that some of the regulars here are full time residents and/ or business owners in the DR and have first hand knowledge of any thing that I might say and will respond if I speak in ignorance.

The Dominican Republic that I first visited was still, sort of, the land of Trujillo, "el jefe". The DR was still a smallish island nation that depended on "az?car" (in part) to pay the governments' bills (mainly military), hell there were only six or seven Dominican ball players in all the USA. Every thing was small and inter island travel was tenuous at best, but I had "family" and was having the experience of a life time, so not to worry. I guess I'm saying that I found the 'hart' of my new Dominican family transcended any thing that I might be lacking from the physical world.

Now the stage is 'set', the sleepy nation will tumble into the 20th century to take its' place some what reluctantly. Natures' beauty will be discovered, again (Columbus remarked that the new found island was the most beautiful place on the earth) and exploited for the sake of the all mighty $ $ $ $. Fortunes are to be made and work will be accomplished, and this beautiful land will never be the same. The way I see it the establishment of a mega AI (multinational) resort is, in a simplistic way, the strip mining of one of the islands' most valuable resources. The operation of a strip mine can follow two different, and opposing paths. The path of total destruction will leave the landscape a broken, jumbled mess that is unusable for anything else. The more responsible path will reclaim the pit, trying to make every right with nature, a rebirth of the land so to speak. Try as they may, the final result will NEVER be the same as the original. If you apply this analogy to the creation of a mega AI resort you should see that the same holds true in each case. Responsible operators will try to put everything right but it will never be quite the same. The land has been changed for ever, period.

Things do not forebode well for the Saman? peninsula, in Andys' post he mentions that 'big time' operators (off shore intrests) are eyeing the area to establish one or more large complexes. This will destroy the unique experience being offer to the world traveler, for some the chance of a lifetime to be one with nature. If the large operators prevail, the north shore of Saman? will be destroyed, its' spirit will be lost for ever. The northern coast of the peninsula can not and will not allow the small resort to exist side by side with the large mega AI.

Susannes' post has a blue print for the ideal Dominican vacation experience:

<A HREF="http://dominican-republic-news.com/board/index.cgi?read=30869">http://dominican-republic-news.com/board/index.cgi?read=30869</A>

In closing let me say this, the large mega AI operations WILL take their excess profits off island for other uses, the small mom and pops WILL spend their money locally and more Dominicans
WILL have a chance at realizing their dream.

Por Dios, all one has to do is look at how the sugar barons have impacted life in the DR for ever.

Regards,

. . . CES

ps. . . a similar thread is running on the "Bravenet Forum", click on:

<A HREF="http://www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?msgid=0&userid=XC87864&fp2">http://www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?msgid=0&userid=XC87864&fp2</A>=

for additional arguments. . .

D

dominicanyork

The problem that I have with "upper range" (all inclusive or not) hotels is that they won't even let dominicans or anyone who looks dominican stay at their hotel.

I am a young Dominican-American man (born and raised in New York). When going to the DR I find that I can only gain access to the resorts after "proving" that I am not from the area either by speaking English, or showing my passport.

One time I arrived in Las Terrenas and asked if they had any rooms available. We got turned away from every establishment where there were Domincans at the entrance. At one point we even got asked where we were from as we were suspiciously looked up and down. They only admitted that they had room available after we told them we were from New York or showed them our passports.

Finally, we found room only after we went to a hotel with a French person at the reception.

I love my people and I understand that this might be done to protect the tourists, but it does hurt to come to be excluded from certain sections in my parents' country. It hurts even more after being equally discriminated against here in the States.

J

Jim Hinsch

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. What was the reason they gave you? Did you have a reservation?

I have met local Dominicans vacationing at some of the top resorts, including the Hamaca, Melia Bavaro, Bavaro Beach Palace, and Casa de Campo. In fact, most resorts offer special prices that are ONLY available to Dominicans (all registered guests must reside in the Dominican Republic - this prevents a foreign man/women from booking it through their local partner and getting the lower price).

See <A HREF="http://www.colonialtours.com.do/ofertamercadolocal.htm">http://www.colonialtours.com.do/ofertamercadolocal.htm</A> for example. These prices are often lower than the best tour packages available to tourists. Check out Iberostar Bavaro, with a per person price of only $43.75/night, offered only to Dominicans.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

J

Jim you are not well informed

it seems like that
MR.Jim Hinsch
dont have any idea
about the all inclusive package fair that the European Tour operator are offering to they clients
and the type of contract that they have with the hotel's either

ask
FTI Services
for they package all inclusive per person
in the moment
just to give you a idea

J

Jim Hinsch

Roberto,

Can you back up your statement with facts, or are you just blowing your usual smoke? Show me a land only package offer at the Iberostar Bavaro, all-inclusive, for less than US$43.75 per person per night, double occupancy, offered to non-Dominicans.

It seems you have no idea.

Jim Hinsch

L

lol :)to Jim

what about

2,500 DM 15 days
Air Plane/Hoteles/Meals/Drinks
ask how much are only the Plane twos way per persone to europe

ore you just like to prouve that you are well imformed
with out having Any idea how tings works?

bye the way the other guy was A Friend of my writing like I do but now it is me
peace
Roberto:)

J

Jim Hinsch

You are unable to substantiate your claim that there is an offer out there for Europeans that is cheaper than what is offered to the resident Dominicans at the Iberostar Bavaro in a land-only package. So either just admit you were wrong, or give us the web site/phone number where this better deal can be had. Anybody can quote numbers.

This is an all-inclusive hotel-only deal I posted. We aren't interested in comparing it to air packages. The post was to point out that indeed, the resorts offer special deals for resident Dominicans. If a similar deal is available to foreigners, that's great, but this deal is offered to Dominicans only, which is the point. See the web site.

We already know that there are some great air-land package deals offered to foreigners. So? What's YOUR point? That we can subtract the normal cost of an air ticket and extrapolate the remaining fee to be the cost of the hotel? By your logic, if I find 3 nights in London for $400 including air, and a commercial air ticket costs $500, they are really paying me $100 to stay in the hotel.

Roberto: "ore you just like to prouve that you are well imformed with out having Any idea how tings works?"

Now you are a psychoanalyst? Or are you just doing your best to make enemies. You end your posts with "peace", but you make war. Are you trying to help people here on this board, as I am, or cause trouble? You've got some chip on your shoulder.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

S

Sue

I must agree with Jim. I am planning to go to an all-inclusive hotel in Punta Cana in August. Unfortunately none of the tour operators based in Toronto offer this hotel during the summer months. I emailed the hotel to get their room rates and was told it is $135. USD for single occupancy per day. When I relayed this info to my friend who works in the hotel, he said he would speak to the General Manager and in all likelihood be able to get me a room for about $45. USD. I am waiting to hear what happens, but it does seem there are different rates.

T

To MRS.Sue

Dear
MRS.SUE
that case you are mentioned
are A personal Discount because you know someone
that knows ore have A good Relation with the manager
his are going to talk to him telling him that you are A good Friend of Him/Her
and depending on the occupation from the hotel by the time you would be making you holiday
you would be treated as A personal Friend
the same way they would treat Regular Clients that come every years individual
but that have nothing to do with A local policy for Dominicans et.unless of course we are on A festive week etc.....

peace:)
Roberto