Deportations of Haitians. Can I get the facts, please?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Looks like they are trying pretty hard to find racism in everything. When they can't find it, its "they denied there were racist motivations" .....as to sling a little good-bye mud. Typical Daily Kos blabber.

Thomianguy

Jun 16, 2015
Tomorrow's deportations of Dominican-Haitians. Can I get the facts, please?

I am not Dominican despite having quite a bit of family down there. I guess they would be called "Cocolos" and they live in the San Pedro de Macoris area of the country. Anyway, I am from another Caribbean island (where, ironically, we have a burgeoning population of Dominicans) and, of course, many of us from the other Caribbean islands are watching this situation very closely. On the surface, it is very easy to give a knee jerk reaction and condemn the DR's action on this matter, but I have tried to see it from their side and can completely understand their reasons. I personally do not think it is coming from a position of COMPLETE xenophobia, but many observers think the matter could be handled better.

Now, there has been a lot of chatter from the peanut gallery and I am sure there have been misunderstandings and hyperbole, but one that I have been hearing and needing clarification on is the issue of the actual Dominicans of Haitian parentage. What I have heard is that despite being born in the DR, if they do NOT have documentation to prove this, they will be deported. A littler harsh, but I can understand this, yes. But now, I have been hearing that Dominican-Haitians, even those of advanced ages who also cannot produce documents, will be deported also. IS this true?

Will this not create some problems? what about those younger ones who MIGHT be able to show proof, but, say, their grandparents can't or even their parents? With many of these people being poor and perhaps illiterate, were they even cognizant to secure such papers decades ago?

So, in short, ALL illegal Haitians or Dominican Haitians ("illegal" expanded to also mean those who claim to have been born in DR but have NO proof to prove this) are slated for deportation, right? Also, while the light is on the Haitians being the largest group, is there going to be a deportation of other illegal immigrants also, like Jamaicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans and others?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if the west is so enraged that DR is unwilling to accept hundreds of thousands of haitians, why not open your mighty border to haiti and allow them visa free travel to canada, USA and europe? no? not so convenient? i thought so. it's better to b*tch that a cripple cannot carry a heavy load by himself than to unload some of that and carry it yourself.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What are Dominican-Haitians? The media makes it sound like if they had dominican citizenship and it's being taken away from them. As far as I understand they never had dominican citizenship. They just lived here illegally, for many years, maybe even decades and now finally the government is doing something about it. And to avoid that people without any ties to Haiti are sent back to that country they have a regularization plan that will give them the possibility to get residence or citizenship. The documents needed for that need to come from the Haitian government who's not cooperating.

I have been too lazy to get all the details of something that doesn't seem to be my problem, but that's what I got from it.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I suppose the only Dominican Haitian is someone born to a Dominican and a Haitian. I believe the DR, like Australia, does not grant citizenship based on birthplace.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I suppose the only Dominican Haitian is someone born to a Dominican and a Haitian. I believe the DR, like Australia, does not grant citizenship based on birthplace.

yes, correct, and like the Netherlands, Germany, France, and....Haiti (and many other countries, or actually almost all other countries except most the Americas).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's an interesting argument.

and a fascinating story to watch unfold (not being affected personally).

One could argue that the RD government is taking a brave stance on the issue.
One that could backfire.

Sit back and watch.....

Thomianguy

Jun 16, 2015
What are Dominican-Haitians? The media makes it sound like if they had dominican citizenship and it's being taken away from them. As far as I understand they never had dominican citizenship. They just lived here illegally, for many years, maybe even decades and now finally the government is doing something about it. And to avoid that people without any ties to Haiti are sent back to that country they have a regularization plan that will give them the possibility to get residence or citizenship. The documents needed for that need to come from the Haitian government who's not cooperating.

I have been too lazy to get all the details of something that doesn't seem to be my problem, but that's what I got from it.

I used the term "Dominican-Haitian" to differentiate them from Haitians who were born in Haiti itself, but are living within the Dominican border. The 'Dominican-Haitian' would be one born in the DR, but to Haitian parents. Hope I made this clear.

Thomianguy

Jun 16, 2015

Ah...I got you. Never knew this. So to be clear, if you are born in the DR, this does NOT automatically make you a Dominican? Am I understanding this correctly? How then does one become a Dominican?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
yes, correct, and like the Netherlands, Germany, France, and....Haiti (and many other countries, or actually almost all other countries except most the Americas).

Wrong, France does..... just saying.:nervous:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I used the term "Dominican-Haitian" to differentiate them from Haitians who were born in Haiti itself, but are living within the Dominican border. The 'Dominican-Haitian' would be one born in the DR, but to Haitian parents. Hope I made this clear.

There is no difference between a Haitian born in Haiti and one born in DR. Dominican law says to be Dominican you must be born to a Dominican, end of story. Citizenship is by blood, not by place of birth.

There are foreigners who have been naturalized, but that is another unrelated story.

Thomianguy

Jun 16, 2015
So, as I am from the U.S Virgin Islands, if my mother and father (both from Nevis and St. Kitts, respectively) had me in the Dominican Republic, I would not be automatically be considered a "Dominican," I take it. Now if BOTH of my parents are from the DR and have me in the DR, then that makes me Dominican?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So, in short, ALL illegal Haitians or Dominican Haitians ("illegal" expanded to also mean those who claim to have been born in DR but have NO proof to prove this) are slated for deportation, right? Also, while the light is on the Haitians being the largest group, is there going to be a deportation of other illegal immigrants also, like Jamaicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans and others?

in short: no one really knows what will happen. haitians living in DR and/or born in DR were given 18 months within regularization plan to sort out the paperwork. those who failed to do so face deportations. but their final fate remains to be seen. the plan expires on tomorrow at midnight.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah...I got you. Never knew this. So to be clear, if you are born in the DR, this does NOT automatically make you a Dominican? Am I understanding this correctly? How then does one become a Dominican?

Yes, you understand correctly - to become a Dominican you must first obtain legal residency, and after a long time of renewals you can apply. The only exception is for foreigners who marry Dominicans, after they get legal residency, and have it for a set amount of time, can then apply for naturalization.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So, as I am from the U.S Virgin Islands, if my mother and father (both from Nevis and St. Kitts, respectively) had me in the Dominican Republic, I would not be automatically be considered a "Dominican," I take it. Now if BOTH of my parents are from the DR and have me in the DR, then that makes me Dominican?

only if at least one of your parents is of legal legal, that is he/she has a dominican citizenship. DR recognizes jus sanguinis over jus soli.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

They can't just be 'from the DR', they must be Dominicans. And it doesn't matter where you are born then - a child born to a Dominican anywhere in the world can apply for DR citizenship.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
They can't just be 'from the DR', they must be Dominicans. And it doesn't matter where you are born then - a child born to a Dominican anywhere in the world can apply for DR citizenship.

Exactly the same as it is in Haiti, citizenship by blood (Jus Sanguinis)

Thomianguy

Jun 16, 2015
There is no difference between a Haitian born in Haiti and one born in DR. Dominican law says to be Dominican you must be born to a Dominican, end of story. Citizenship is by blood, not by place of birth.

There are foreigners who have been naturalized, but that is another unrelated story.

Ok, I got it! So if one or both of your parents are NOT Dominican, you are Not automatically Dominican. You are whatever your parents are - Greek, Russian, Trinidadian, Jamaican, American, Lithuanian.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ok, I got it! So if one or both of your parents are NOT Dominican, you are Not automatically Dominican. You are whatever your parents are - Greek, Russian, Trinidadian, Jamaican, American, Lithuanian.

No - only one parent needs to be Dominican. My children have a Dominican father, and are entitled to DR citizenship because of it, if they ever want it.

Edit; Oops, I think that's what you said :)