Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I heard from a friend today (and he was not drunk - yet) that immigration came through Sosua today rounding up some extranjeros who have been living in the DR without legal immigration. (He said "Gringos" but to him anyone who sunburns is a gringo).
I missed the action.
Anyone hear about this ?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Last night was chica round up night. I counted 11 taken away and 2 gringos. 

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hahaha. I guess I am a gringo. I am one toasted Puerto Rican.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I'm sitting with someone right now with someone that's confirms that.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Is the 3rd person not sitting with you? LOL. Sounds like something out of Casablanca. Any details, or will the thread self-destruct in 10 seconds?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Very good if that is true about the illegal gringos!

As defined:
Gringo (male) or Gringa (female) (/ˈɡrɪŋɡoʊ/, Spanish: [ˈɡɾiŋɡo], Portuguese: [ˈɡɾĩɡu]) is a term, mainly used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, to refer to foreigners. In Spanish, gringo refers to someone from the United States, particularly a person who is a White American.

Now, I guess expats or extranjeros of other origins, ie: EU members, are welcomed to stay then, in your opinion?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It happened. First hand experience

They rounded YOU up ?... say it isnt so..what did you do ?
I got a great punchline here , but imma bite my tongue ..

we assuming you meant you SAW it go down ?

porkyfish

Feb 2, 2017
Hello, i am very interested to hear more info about this?
Do you know if the round up happened at local restaurants during the early afternoon? Thank you very much.

I am a new member. Thanks for the info. I seriously consider relocating to the DR and i find this forum invaluable. Thanks.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
As defined:
Gringo (male) or Gringa (female) (/ˈɡrɪŋɡoʊ/, Spanish: [ˈɡɾiŋɡo], Portuguese: [ˈɡɾĩɡu]) is a term, mainly used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, to refer to foreigners. In Spanish, gringo refers to someone from the United States, particularly a person who is a White American.

Now, I guess expats or extranjeros of other origins, ie: EU members, are welcomed to stay then, in your opinion?

You know exactly what I mean; foreigners!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Very good if that is true about the illegal gringos!

No, I don't know what you speak of, and I'm only reminding you of your previous quote. My question to you is, which gringos do you speak of, and why would this be very good? I'm only asking for clarification of a statement you made. Haitians, Cubans, Venezuelans, and Colombians are not referred to as "gringos" here in the Dominican Republic, but yet these are the groups that make up the large majority of proper illegals by definition in accordance with the Dominican Republic's current immigration policy.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I heard from a friend today (and he was not drunk - yet) that immigration came through Sosua today rounding up some extranjeros who have been living in the DR without legal immigration. (He said "Gringos" but to him anyone who sunburns is a gringo).
I missed the action.
Anyone hear about this ?

Yep. Two business owners who are close friends told me tonight that uniforms came to check papers, passports, business certificates, etc.

I always carry copies of my passport and provisional residencia.

If CESTUR/AMET start apprehending known individual ex-pats (and let's face it: they all know who we are): I have my own ideas about whose tune to which they are dancing.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I just wrote a story of what happened yesterday here in Cabarete with the Dominican Immigration officers and a retired NYC Captain who is a friend of mine, and who happened to be sitting inside Friend's restaurant here in Cabarete when they came inside the restaurant yesterday morning. I posted the story in "Cabarete Diaries, part 2" thread.

Frank

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
No, I don't know what you speak of, and I'm only reminding you of your previous quote. My question to you is, which gringos do you speak of, and why would this be very good? I'm only asking for clarification of a statement you made. Haitians, Cubans, Venezuelans, and Colombians are not referred to as "gringos" here in the Dominican Republic, but yet these are the groups that make up the large majority of proper illegals by definition in accordance with the Dominican Republic's current immigration policy.

You create your own problems with other posters.
It was quite sufficient for the OP to just say "Gringo".

Play it cool, who the hell really cares which "gringos" except the ones that got nabbed?
It was some foreigners!!!!!

Now I bet you want to argue about that term too!
Please, spare us your definition of foreigners.

Most of us are smart enough to know what they mean by "gringos" and "foreigners".

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I just wrote a story of what happened yesterday here in Cabarete with the Dominican Immigration officers and a retired NYC Captain who is a friend of mine, and who happened to be sitting inside Friend's restaurant here in Cabarete when they came inside the restaurant yesterday morning. I posted the story in "Cabarete Diaries, part 2" thread.

Frank

So, is Captain Billy, a gringo, foreigner, and/or tourist?

"sanpedrogringo" needs to know the real truth!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
So, is Captain Billy, a gringo, foreigner, and/or tourist?

"sanpedrogringo" needs to know the real truth!

Listen, no need to go into super sensitive mode. In all honesty, some of us don't know what some posters mean with some of their cryptic postings. My question was not in regard to the OP, but rather Peterj's statement. It was not meant to create conflicts with anybody. If I had a conflict with another poster I would message them directly, not backdoor attack them or run to a Mod. I guess I know where you stand, even if I truly don't. If the people/persons are known to some and it's a personal/private matter maybe the issues should be discussed in private rather than an open forum. I don't need to know the "real truth" as you say, I could actually care less. I'm not illegal.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I wish we could get back to the post's subject...

So immigration officers going around looking for foreigners who stay over 30 days and take them and deport them... !? Is that what is happening... !? (even according to Cabarete story, questioning those staying less than that and want to be sure they leave on 30th day..!!!???)

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Would also like clarification if anyone has further information on what happened, when, where and who.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Pick up truck with about 10 immigration officers went into the hotel Orchidee ( I believe that's the name), which is next to Terra Linda. I doubt it was a random pick up of tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.