Corrupted officials in Luperon Harbor

M

me

Corrupted officials in Luperon Harbor
Pleasure boaters using Luperon Harbor continue to complain about the abuses of corrupt officials. Last winter, a group of pleasure boaters using Luperon Harbor made a formal complaint about corruption and abuse by harbor officials. The MInistry of Tourism responded by sending up an investigation team, however nothing seems to have changed. A boater recently posted the following lament on the POP Report Message Board.
"We have now more corruption among Comandante de la Marina de Guerra and Autoridades Portuarias Dominicanas, the new employees from the PRD, who are asking and threatening for bribes North-Americans boaters in Luperon, the biggest yacht-harbour of the North-Coast. Some officials are now charging boaters a 15% on what they bought ashore in the village, which is of course illegal, and will scare foreigners to visit the country. A few days ago, the new Comandante de la Marina de Guerra physically threatened a scandinavian lady for 50.00US$. Please anyone with connections to authorities, Marina de Guerra, government, Politur, Turismo, whatsoever, in Puerto Plata or Sto Dgo, send inspectors in Luperon to clean things up. We can now see the aftermath in our remote village of this gvt, who placed untrained people in strategic posts, and they only want to invent scams to get extra-easy-money."
The unfortunate thing is the problems of the pleasure boating industry are too easily ignored given how small a market it represents compared to charter tourism. However, it is a sector that can help significantly to sustain and develop remote areas such as Luperon and Samana. Both of these harbors have been fraught with problems in the past, and the bad reputation spreads like wildfire among the thousands of pleasure boaters navigating the Caribbean each year. It is ironic that so many cry out that tourism should go after a more affluent market, while ignoring the abuses that are keeping affluent pleasure boaters sailing right past the Dominican Republic.

C

Carlos

What response can you expect from the most corrupt Party of this country.. We are loosing our time trying to stop this PRD mess with their own "inspectors" and/or Institutions..!
NO GOVERMENT INSTITUTION OR INSPECTOR WILL HELP IN THIS CASE..!
THE PRD IS A GROUP OF GANSTERS IN CHARGE OF THIS COUNTRY..

I would recomend to denounce all these atrocities to the International Press and or Organizations..!!

Let's hit them hard..! Let's bring these robbers in front of the world..

Regards,

Carlos

C

Cruiser

Re: Corrupted officials

Corruption is not new to the Comandancia del Puerto with this government. It is a long-standing problem. I have many years experience in the Dominican Republic and have seen many, many instances where new arrivals were overcharged. It seems to depend on the Port Commander at the moment. Some are honest and serious, and life is very pleasant for the visiting cruisers. Others are not. I have even been anchored where a Port Commandant was getting a percentage from the thieves stealing outboard motors in the night. For obvious reasons I am omitting my name and email address.

D

Dee Leted Again

What is all this negativity? Only positive comments about the DR and Dominicans are wanted here. This is a yachtsman's and investor's paradise. There are no currupt officials in the DR.

M

me

Do you get paid to express this nonsense?????

D

Dee Leted aka Anny Mosity

No, but when I post anything negative and informative I get jumped on so I will stay positive.

D

Darme Cinco

Through greed and corruption, constant harrassment, extortion, theft, fraud and plain old 'Darme Cinco', certain elements within the wonderful Dominican Republic will never stop until they have succeeded in driving the last tourist and foriegn investor from the country. The DR has an overabundance of talent, potential and promise. Unfortunately, in many cases, this talent is expended, for a quick, short-term gain, at the expense of a long-term greater gain, both for the momentarily enriched, and the country as a whole.

In the old days, during times of hardship, the people could always go back to the land. Nowadays, many won't even be able to do that, having sold their land to gringos at inflated prices.

It would be in the DR's best interest to treat tourists as if they were an endangered species. But alas, I do not expect that to happen.

It is sad to see such a wonderful country feed on itself in such a self-defeating manner.

Leadership and example must come from the top. Are you listening Mr. Mejia?

• Love
Reactions: thompstr

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
Have things in Luperon gotten any better since 2001?
I spent time in Samana Bay in '86 and '88 and theft was common then.
Such a huge country and so few good harbors, Samana Bay is not a good harbor.